Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PBS no quilting shows >

PBS no quilting shows

PBS no quilting shows

Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
The Create Channel is owned by Vermont Public Television and they do make their channel available to all cable providers. The good thing about their programming is each quilting program is available at 6a, noon, 6p, and midnight, so there's a good chance you can catch it. Perhaps with encouragement your provider will carry Create...just keep asking. Create currently has Martha's Sewing Room, Fons & Porter and Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel. My cable provider also carries VT and NH public TV stations so I get Sewing with Nancy and America Sews as well. Last year Create was only showing Sewing with Nancy, which I also get on NHPT), so I'd like to think my repeated requests prompted them to offer other quilt programs.
Is that Bonesteel program from way back when???Most of what does show up on our PBS is oldie quilting programs....nothing new except once in awhile I will catch the "new" Fons and Porter - with the daughter...not sure if I like it or not........I guess all the well-known quilters nowadays are only on the "pay" computer sites.......sorry I can't see that in my future (paying that is).....
Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 AM

It truly is the support they receive in their fund drives and listener communication. I donate each year and specifically check the sewing and quilting shows for my support. Contact the station and ses why they don't have the shows.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 AM

I've also noticed it. I wrote BYU too because they moved Fons and Porter to 4 a.m. No one responded to my letter.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 AM

I have Comcast cable and "Create channel 220 the "Wisconsin channel and channel 21 "WPT carry both "Fons & Porter,"Sewing with Nancy on "Sat. mornings.220 carrys them and Martha's sewing at 11am and repeated at 11pm weekdays.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
They have nearly stopped in our area, too. I am very very disappointed...3 out of 4 weeks we get their fund raising programs on Saturday morning instead. We get Fons & Porter on the BYU channel on our cable system now, and they have them on nearly every day.

And then, to add to the disappointment, F&P gives the shows to the PBS stations for FREE!!! Now why wouldn't they take it? No sense!!
My thoughts also ! Makes NO sense. I'm just outside the 4th LARGEST city in the US (Houston) and we can't get good programs ?? Sewing with Nancy has been on forever, F&P has been on and off (many were older series) We have Comcast but don't get these other options. I don't watch anymore. Thank goodness for the Web !! :roll: :roll:
Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 AM

Here in KC, we Fons and Porter and Sewing with Nancy on Saturday mornings 8:00-9:00 am. Haven't heard about any cancellations, but the fundraisers seem to be getting more frequent and way to often I tune in on Saturday morning and find a fundraising marathon instead. I support PBS when I can, but I fear many of their programs will be cut as a result of the current economy.
Glad I taped all of the "Simply Quilt" shows before they went off the air.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:05 AM

We lost our PBS Saturday morning quilt show line up for about 4 months. I was SOOO BUMMED! Then.. out of the blue.. they came back on! My best suggestion would be to call or email PBS and ask them what happened.

I love my Saturday morning quilt shows! I've picked up sooo many tips and tricks watching (and listening) to them.

Good Luck...
Old 09-15-2011, 07:09 AM

But I'd rather they stop, than rerun shows from 2007! While the quilts are still beautiful, the "new" products shown are sometimes obsolete.
Never was a big fan of Sue Hausmann's show. Our area just keeps playing her shows over and over from 2007, 2008. I've seen them all already.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:24 AM

I checked programing on both PBS stations in Atlanta area and I found one show. I also checked my Charter TV line-up trying to find Create and it wasn't listed. I double checked the Create web site and Georgia is not a state where this is available. YUCK, YUCK, YUCK....
Old 09-15-2011, 07:37 AM

Perhaps your local guild/shop can have a petition to bring back the shows....especially if the signers are PBS members.