Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perfect Reason for Washing Quilt before you gift it. . . . >

Perfect Reason for Washing Quilt before you gift it. . . .

Perfect Reason for Washing Quilt before you gift it. . . .

Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 AM

OMG -- isn't that the pits? Glad I'm not the only one. I just finished paper piecing a Maine Star Quilt and wound up with some less than 1/8th seam allowances when I neglected to notice the outside edge of my large pieced triangles were to be cut with 1/2" s.a. instead of 1/4th. After so much work I decided to take the drastic step of using a little fray check on those seams and then covered them with slim strips of fusible interfacing. The next step will be quilting it and then will have my heart in my mouth when I wash it. This has been a challenge. Good luck with solving your problem.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by MdmSew'n'Sew View Post
Exactly why I wash them before gifting, just to make sure ... I'm looking and thinking, maybe a bit of iron-on interfacing on the underside of both pieces to stabilize them, then carefully blind stitch them together? And then an applique (the giftee's initial, perhaps?) if it still looks a little raggedy? Good luck, it looks like a fun quilt!
This sounds like a good solution to me! Thank you for posting this as I have never washed a completed quillt before!
Sometimes we let the bottom fabric 'slip' a little causing too narrow of a seam allowance...then the fabric can pull out of the seam! I really hate it that this has happened to you but a good lesson for all of the rest of us!
Thanks for sharing and letting us learn along with you!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

That's sad, hope the repair went good. Bet your classmate will love it.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 AM

Wow, I always learn so much on this board.

I'm sorry your seam gave way, but it sounds like you have a great plan to fix it.

I hope that never happens to me.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

It looks like the peach frayed the worst. I would put a piece of cardboard under the edge of it and iron the fray flat. Then I would see if there was enough material left for the white to be hand ladder stitched on top. After the hand stitching is done, I'd add a hand appliqued butterfly with my name or little message on it on the spot. Good luck and your quilt is very pretty. The peach and turquoise makes me think of spring.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 AM

Do you have another piece of the orange print that you could match the pattern to? Match and stitch and that side will be larger and you can re-stitch. The seam will look like it is part of the quilting and won't be noticed by the recipient.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 AM

You can do this. You have the right idea of what to do. It is really pretty. Barny
Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 AM

I must say thanks so much for sharing. I learn so much from you wonderful peeps. I'm glad you took to the time to post.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:43 AM

Sorry you had this problem and hope it was a quick fix. I'm glad you posted because it pointed out to me that I better wash the quilt I just finishsed. I usually prewash my fabrics but I used a layer cake pack for this quilt and I couldn't prewash the 10" squares. It has reds and some dark blues so I'd be foolish not to wash it before gifting. Going to give it a good look after drying because the squares were cut with pinking sheers and my 1/4 seams were a little skimpy in parts.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:44 AM

Delightfully bright and uplifting colors and design! If you done this well, then we have confidence you can mend it without a sweat! She'll love it and probably never notice the repair....