Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perfect Reason for Washing Quilt before you gift it. . . . >

Perfect Reason for Washing Quilt before you gift it. . . .

Perfect Reason for Washing Quilt before you gift it. . . .

Old 02-09-2012, 06:27 PM

Once I made a quilt for my grand daughter that had machine embroidered blocks on it. I washed it and found that in two of the blocks I had accidently used water soluble thread. I was also very glad I had washed it!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chigger Holler Quilter View Post
This sounds like a good solution to me! Thank you for posting this as I have never washed a completed quillt before!
Sometimes we let the bottom fabric 'slip' a little causing too narrow of a seam allowance...then the fabric can pull out of the seam! I really hate it that this has happened to you but a good lesson for all of the rest of us!
Thanks for sharing and letting us learn along with you!
I have had to do this once. Thank goodness only once. What I did is put the interfacing under the 2 sides, but did not iron it until after I blind-stitched them together so it could be maneuvered into place. I ironed over the area after the sewing was done. I was lucky it was not as frayed as yours appeared.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by nancyrmathews View Post
I have never washed a quilt before giving it as a gift !!It has never been explained to me why I should or shouldn't wash it. I have given several quilts. How have I missed this ????? This is interesting, fill me in. Nancy
I ALWAYS wash quilts that I am giving as gifts. It removes all the dirt and oils from my hands that might be on the quilt. Also, I have dogs and cats and even though they don't lounge around on my fabrics or finished projects, their hair and dander is everywhere. I also was to make sure that there won't be any trouble with my seams after it has gone thru the washer and dryer. hence the picture of the seam that blew out. I would rather find it and fix it than have the person who received have it happen to them.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Susan01948 View Post
Once I made a quilt for my grand daughter that had machine embroidered blocks on it. I washed it and found that in two of the blocks I had accidently used water soluble thread. I was also very glad I had washed it!
Oh Noooooo!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:35 PM

What a shame. Such a pretty quilt. I agree, maybe a cute little applique is in order. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM

I also always wash mine before gifting for the same reason you wash yours. I am so sorry this happened to you but I am glad you saw it before you gave it to your friend.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 PM

Hello Everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I fixed the quilt block. I had to remove both the pink and the white HST and just replaced it with another pieced HST. I was able to use my sewing machine to sew one of the seams and then I had to hand stitch the other 3 sides. I repaired the machine quilting I had done and it looks perfect. You can see a picture of the the repair and the finished quilt here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...b-t178731.html
Old 02-10-2012, 04:49 AM

I discovered that sort of thing when I washed quilts before sending to Quilts For Kids. Now I wouldn't dream of gifting a quilt without washing first. Depending on the situation, I might "show" them the quilt before washing, but I wash it before they get it.

Your colors are very pretty and I know your friend will love the quilt.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Hello Everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I fixed the quilt block. I had to remove both the pink and the white HST and just replaced it with another pieced HST. I was able to use my sewing machine to sew one of the seams and then I had to hand stitch the other 3 sides. I repaired the machine quilting I had done and it looks perfect. You can see a picture of the the repair and the finished quilt here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...b-t178731.html
Wonderful job with the repair. Noone would ever guess there was ever a problem.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Can you take a needle & thread & 'whip' it back together? Hope it won't be a big task.