Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perfect Reason for Washing Quilt before you gift it. . . . >

Perfect Reason for Washing Quilt before you gift it. . . .

Perfect Reason for Washing Quilt before you gift it. . . .

Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
Sorry you had this problem and hope it was a quick fix. I'm glad you posted because it pointed out to me that I better wash the quilt I just finishsed. I usually prewash my fabrics but I used a layer cake pack for this quilt and I couldn't prewash the 10" squares. It has reds and some dark blues so I'd be foolish not to wash it before gifting. Going to give it a good look after drying because the squares were cut with pinking sheers and my 1/4 seams were a little skimpy in parts.
I always pre-wash everything, even 10" inch squares. Those require great care of course. I put like colors together in a deep sink and warm water, with a color catcher, small amount of mild soap (usually Woolite), and vinegar. Then I leave them to soak. If there's anything on the color catcher, then I'll put it through at least two rinses. First is to get the soap, etc. out. Second is to check for bleeding. Of course, there is very minimal agitation, big water to fabric ratio, no squeezing, etc. When I'm satisfied there is no bleeding, I first lay them out on towels. When they're partly dry, I hang them on a dryer rack. If I'm about to use them, I take them damp to the ironing board, and press and starch them. Otherwise, I just let them dry and do the pressing/starching when I'm ready to use them. Same goes with Jelly Rolls and everything else. Everything that goes into my quilting is prewashed, and then I just don't have to worry about asymmetrical shrinkage.

By doing it so gently, e.g. soaking instead of washing, I haven't had a problem with fraying.

If someone has an easier way to accomplish the same thing, I'm all ears!

Oh, and so sorry about the quilt. I've repaired heirloom quilts, and know how much work that entails! Best of luck to you! I can see by your otherwise meticulous quilting skills that you'll no doubt effect a repair that will never be noticed. But it's a pain, isn't it?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:22 PM

That's happened to me. No big deal, just fix it! Nobody is puuuurrrrffffeeeecccctttt!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 AM

Cause for fraying seams??????I want to say seams are not 1/4".....or your thread tension was not correct---to loose?????or cheap thread that breaks...reason to purchase good thread for piecing. We have all had at least one fray in our history.....
Old 02-12-2012, 06:57 AM

Applique a little duck or something cute over it....it will be fine.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

She fixed it -

Possible causes:
Skimpy seam allowance(s)
Fabric shrank when washed and pulled away/out from the seam
Loosely woven fabric(s)

I agree that it is a good idea to wash a quilt before sending it on its way -

As others have stated - to see if something came apart or went awry

To freshen it up from all the handling it got while being made

Last edited by bearisgray; 03-08-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
This is one reason I don't use the scant 1/4" seam. I sew a complete 1/4" seam with a short stitch length. As long as all my seams are the same, my blocks will be the same size.

What length of stitches do you use? I did a block for a monthly quilting group using exact 21/2" strips (I cut them with my AccuQuilt studio and remeasured them later) and my 1/4" foot on my Bernini. It ad 5 strips and end size was to be 10 1/2". Mine was slightly less. Instructor said to use scant seam so move my needle over 1 notch, but I know some fabrics fray quicker/more than others, even all quality fabric (quilt ship quality). I like the idea of my 1/4" seam with shorter stitches. Fellow quilter suggested I switch from mettler silk finish thread to Madeira aurifil as it is 2 ply and stitches are flatter so going to try that too. What length stitch do you use?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:59 PM

Your quilt is lovely, I'm glad you saw the problem before you gifted it. Good luck fixing it.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM

I always wash before giving. I use a pretty smelling fabric softener then I put a good smelling fabric softener sheet in the middle.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 AM

It is a very bright and pretty quilt. I can't wait to see the pictures.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:55 AM

I would just applique a heart or star on it. That's what I do and people REALLY LIKE the little touch, not knowing it is intended to hide a hole.