Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist

Perfectly said RhondaLee!

I’m the last from a family of 7 and a lot of us are like that. The ones that aren’t…..sure aren’t. My brother next in line to me is the ultimate perfectionist which is pretty handy considering he’s a Literal rocket scientist. His hair stands up if he’s in a room where there’s an 89 degree angle. We went back and forth for 4 days when I told him how to make spaghetti sauce and didn’t give him quantities. ("Whadya mean 'add garlic cloves'?”) Boy, was that an experience.

I love all the attitudes on here. I’m trying not to be perfect on the quilting front (not that I ever was—far from it) because I find that trying to make them perfect takes the fun out of it. I don’t enjoy it and find it stressful. But, at the same time, if it’s a gift I want it to be really nice but finding that balance point can be tough.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Libits View Post
    Perfectly said RhondaLee!

I’m the last from a family of 7 and a lot of us are like that. The ones that aren’t…..sure aren’t. My brother next in line to me is the ultimate perfectionist which is pretty handy considering he’s a Literal rocket scientist. His hair stands up if he’s in a room where there’s an 89 degree angle. We went back and forth for 4 days when I told him how to make spaghetti sauce and didn’t give him quantities. ("Whadya mean 'add garlic cloves'?”) Boy, was that an experience.

I love all the attitudes on here. I’m trying not to be perfect on the quilting front (not that I ever was—far from it) because I find that trying to make them perfect takes the fun out of it. I don’t enjoy it and find it stressful. But, at the same time, if it’s a gift I want it to be really nice but finding that balance point can be tough.
    I kind of laughed at the spaghetti recipe line - I follow some recipes quite closely - the first time, anyway.

But there are some dishes/meals/concoctions such as soup, chili, casseroles - that are fairly flexible - but if one does want consistent results, specific amounts of ingredients are helpful.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
    If your happy w/it...then it's Perfect!

I like this answer a lot, bc if you worked hard on a quilt, and let's face it,
    any quilt is work even if we love doing it.
    You give that quilt to a loved one no matter how you would rate it 1-10
    and they think it's a 10.
    Now isn't that perfection in their eyes?
    Doesn't that make both of you really happy?
    My grands have drawn pictures for me and made me things and I think
    they are perfect just the way they are and wouldn't part with them.
    I belong to a decorating site on FB and one lady posted a picture
    yesterday and you were looking at a wall and could see her living
    room to the left and her dining room to the right.
    You could clearly tell she had a nice home but her caption said:
    The best decoration in my house, and it showed a picture
    drawn on a piece of construction paper and clearly it had I Love You
    all over it in crayon, not in words but it was there. Awwww!!!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2019 at 01:13 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Quote Originally Posted by mmunchkins View Post
    Mousie, do you save the butter wrappers to grease the bottom of your baking pans?

I hadn't thought of that! But you know, I peel them off so carefully I don't think there
    is much butter left on them.
    Oh the things we do without even knowing!
    That's it - I am going to start having more fun and less fuss

Oh, this thread is so interesting. I spent my career being a perfectionist, going the extra mile, etc. ... which made me happy then. I found myself trying to be "all things to all people" at work, at home, in life ... until I realized the more I did, the more others "didn't". Haha. I'm a self-taught quilter ... never taken a class mainly because nowhere nearby to take one. So, obviously, I've learned the hard way. I'm like "mhollifiel" stated ... there are too many people in need that can use a quilt so I strive to do "my" best to meet that need while quilting to the best of my ability. That's what makes me happy. Oh, I've ripped many a stitch mostly because something was just too obvious ... but not because it "had to be perfect".

God Bless those who enter Quit Shows. I do love going to see their work and admire their attention to detail and how intricate their work is.

In my experience a quilt does not need to be perfect to be cherished. Usually, the only one who is aware of its faults is the one who sewed/quilted it.

That said, nothing is ever truly just "good enough" if you have put blood, sweat, and tears into it. It may not be perfection but it's still a job well done.

I do understand what the OP meant by good enough though. I just don't want people to underestimate what they have accomplished by finishing a project.
    Quilting is definitely not for the faint of heart.

I have been told I'm a perfectionist, but my quilts & yarn crafts are my projects to do with as I please. There are errors in everything I make, but I only fix the glaring ones. The others are 'design elements.'

I think your wiring and personal investment in the issue play a part. For me, itís a question of time, importance, and personal satisfaction. I tier my activities to goals which reinforce completion and what I gain by doing so. Sewing wise, it may include skill acquisition, mastery, or undertaking a challenge. Whether youíre learning a language or sewing a quilt; the why is paramount. Its the thing that spurs you on when youíre tired, bored or frustrated.

This isnít a case of perfection versus good enough but the standard youíve developed for your craft. I pursue excellence because the feeling of accomplishment is very satisfying.

In 2016 I challenged myself to read more. I set a goal of 100 books and decided to start the classics reading challenge Iíve wanted to take on. But when I began something clicked within me and I increased the goal and settled on 250 books. I finished the year with 350. Since that time Iíve finished 751 titles and built a lifestyle around my interests and goals. I accomplish significantly more because I focus on the finish line.

When I altered my reading goal my daughter said it was crazy. But she was wrong and I finished Les Miserable in 2 weeks!

Watch out for the quilt police. ( aren't you glad there isn't such a thing, is there?)

I'm an "as perfect as *I* can make it-ist." I do my absolute best, and as my skills improve, that will get better. I'm super-critical of myself and my work, but lately, I've been happy with the things I've been doing. Not sure if I'm just being kinder with myself, or if I really am just getting better at doing things. Doesn't really matter as long as I'm satisfied that I really did do my best.
    Quilting noob here to learn!

I am not a perfectionist, but I do like to "do my best". I spent a few hours last night ripping out a few rows of quilting.
    I just could not get the tension correct (was using a different thread). So, I decided it was not my best and ripped it out. Will start again today to get the usual thread in there and get that quilt done!

I like "best". I feel good when I achieve it, but with chronic health issues,
    what is my best one day may not be achievable for another. Lol, then the
    bar is moved and I do my best "for that day".
    Oh I can remember a time when I would have come back and done it all
    over again. That made me feel better then.
    Now, giving myself a break feels better and no one is the wiser.
    So many factors involved in what satisfies a person. So interesting, so
    interesting!

Iím a good enough-ist. I read somewhere when I got started that if you sat the quilt down and walk away a few feet, and canít see the problem, itís only noticeable to you. So thatís been my motto until I get so frustrated that I just want to hurry up and finish it and never look at it again.
    Shaley, 28, Indiana
    Wife, beginner quilter, dog mom, and avid fiction reader.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBethie View Post
    In 2016 I challenged myself to read more. I set a goal of 100 books and decided to start the classics reading challenge I’ve wanted to take on. But when I began something clicked within me and I increased the goal and settled on 250 books. I finished the year with 350. Since that time I’ve finished 751 titles and built a lifestyle around my interests and goals. I accomplish significantly more because I focus on the finish line.

When I altered my reading goal my daughter said it was crazy. But she was wrong and I finished Les Miserable in 2 weeks!
    Wow! I just can't read that fast.

I am definitely a person who tries to do my best. It can be done, other people have done it so why can't I? I like the challenge. Quilts are like a puzzle. I think if you let the details slide "a little", it is like that darn quarter inch, it will come back and bite you and you actually make it harder on yourself in the long run. I love the fact that quilting is totally up to each person. Color, pattern, tools, machine, ......it is all your choice and what is right for you may not be right for me, but that is absolutely all okay. Love it. When it isn't fun anymore, that is when I will give it up, but I'm not there yet.

Blog Entries
    my dad used to say " if it's worth doing it's worth doing it right" so I try to do it right, that does not mean perfect, each quilt is a learning project, so if I find mistakes I try not to do that in next quilt. I'm still learning I'm only 75 so have a way to go, only have made around 500 quilts still have not made a perfect one yet, I have 3ed, 2ed, 1st, and a best of show quilts, and not one is perfect. Just do the best you can, and be happy with you can do.
    dare to dream

Blog Entries
    Itís supposed to be fun. Do the best you can at the moment and enjoy looking back and seeing how far you come over time. If you spend all your time stressing and redoing something over and over trying to reach perfection ( which, by the way is impossible and unrealistic- look at Natureís *perfection- every leaf or snowflake different) you wind up losing the joy of creating. Do your best and move on. 10 years later you look at that quilt you made 10 years ago and see- wow, Iíve really come a long way! It doesnít make you like it less, you just get to see and appreciate your improving skills.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    It’s supposed to be fun. Do the best you can at the moment and enjoy looking back and seeing how far you come over time. If you spend all your time stressing and redoing something over and over trying to reach perfection ( which, by the way is impossible and unrealistic- look at Nature’s *perfection- every leaf or snowflake different) you wind up losing the joy of creating. Do your best and move on. 10 years later you look at that quilt you made 10 years ago and see- wow, I’ve really come a long way! It doesn’t make you like it less, you just get to see and appreciate your improving skills.
    How True...I look back at some of my gifts to family when I started in 2007 and wish I could take them back...I've so improved and have moved on to more artsy stuff then just regular quilts and enjoy it so much more...more creative!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-14-2019 at 05:10 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    Lets face it who of us sits down to our machines and thinks how sloppy or how to cut off points, or think I'll do 1/2 inch seams to go with all the 1/4 inch seams I've done so far. Some days things just turn out better than on other days, so I make what I call "planned overs" extra blocks so when putting them together I use the ones that fit best, then make a small wall quilt or a nap quilt,( one that is on top of quilt at the foot of the bed that you can nap under with out unmaking the bed.) or I can make hot pads, what ever the blocks will not go to waste. We all do the best we can, and thats a very good thing, after all I tell my class "in quilting nothing is written in stone"
    dare to dream

My parents said the same thing...But then they limited what they did...so to venture into quilting is humbling and frustrating until the project is done. Then mine are satisfying to me.

Leeha, My parents said the same thing...But then they limited what they did...so to venture into quilting is humbling and frustrating until the project is done. Then mine are satisfying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
    With some of my housework I have decided to label myself as a "casual housekeeper".
    I now know 'who' I am and it is a casual housekeeper. Thank you for the new to me ID.

We do the best we can. My friend says if you can see a mistake from 10 feet away and driving at 10 miles an hour you should fix it it not it is fine. Just enjoy the doing each time you rip it out you do thin the fabric.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-16-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: remove religious statement

Blog Entries
    Gramajo, you are also in my prayers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4