Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist >

Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist

Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist

Old 06-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I am in the "better done than perfect" camp. I have many many ufos and wanna make quilts on my list, but my cancer has come back and even with chemo have been given only about 20% chance of living more than 2 years. So it's time to prioritize what I'm finishing. First up is to finish quilting a carousel panel I'm making for my someday-to-be first great granddaughter.

p's gramajo...already done . I like your outlook.
It's time to prioritize, times a wastin' and i ain't getting no younger.
Let's spread the love.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Friday1961 View Post
I'm not sure true perfectionists realize they Are perfectionists. They may not think in terms of "perfect" but in "right", as in "there's a right way and a half right way and a wrong way" and always insist on the right way. Is that perfectionism? Perhaps.....although many don't think of it that way. I think we all have a "perfect for me" which may not be the same standard as someone else's "perfect".

I just made a cushion cover for a outdoor chair -- something that didn't matter At All in that I made it only for temporary comfort. I plan to replace all the patio chairs, most of which have no cushions. I had real problems sewing the bottom "plate" on the boxed corners of the top, just couldn't make it work properly and the end result was untidy and "not right". And yet the cushion cover was sewn together and would have been serviceable. But I ripped it out and persevered until I had no folds or wrinkles in those boxed corner seams. Is that perfectionism, OCD, or just my own personal "the right way"?

I think the answer to what is "good enough" or "right enough" or even "perfect enough",
is found in what the individual is trying to avoid.
Some want to avoid leaving a loved one out and hurry a project even
if it means points aren't perfect etc.
I think some quilters want to avoid having someone else finding a flaw
and pointing it out, especially a fellow quilter.
Occasionally there are personalities that are driven to excel and just
can't relax if they
don't think the project is perfect.
Could be they need to be better at their craft than
the next person Or it could be that they had a parent or elder that
always pointed out their mistakes.
There are as many reasons for what is acceptable to each of us as
there are quilters.
Somebody just said it while ago, "there is room for all of us." ditto .

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-09-2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-09-2019, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Libits View Post
As some of you might have guessed, I’m working on those darn puppies and, although I’ve come a long way, parts are still giving me fits but I’m getting through it. I mentioned something to my daughter and she lovingly said “Well, if you weren’t such a perfectionist…” Huh? Whaaat??? Then she pointed out that every meal I make is perfect (I don’t see it), every small appliance on my counter is perfectly aligned. Every candle has a perfectly trimmed ¼” wick, blah, blah, blah. I don’t set out to do that, it just happens.

So I was wondering, when it comes to quilting, how many of you are perfectionists and how many of you are good-enoughists?
I am Far from seeking perfect in quilting, housekeeping etc. "Do My Best" is more pleasing. I'm thinking OCD (it fits with what your DD described). It might also reflect in your clothes closet, how you store other things. LOL. But, this in not all that bad. Embrace it and give yourself a treat now and again. Just don't fold the candy bar wrapper neatly before you toss it in the trash..

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-09-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
I am Far from seeking perfect in quilting, housekeeping etc. "Do My Best" is more pleasing. I'm thinking OCD (it fits with what your DD described). It might also reflect in your clothes closet, how you store other things. LOL. But this in not all that bad. Embrace it and give yourself a treat now and again. Just don't fold the candy bar wrapper neatly before you toss it in the trash..
..." Just don't fold the candy bar wrapper neatly before you toss it in the trash..."
I might be in a little 'ocd' trouble. I fold the waxed paper on the sticks of
butter when I remove them . I just do it without thinking...until you mentioned it.
I admit I was very OCD when i was younger. Maybe some things just never
really go away completely?
Lol, I also have to completely, I mean completely clean my plate and I would
have lived my entire life without knowing if my dh and my dd hadn't pointed
it out some years ago.
Ok, I'm thorough. I don't like waste, lol.
Not the same as perfection. I think I don't want butter to get on...
the other trash???

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-09-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

It takes up less room in the trash container if the paper is folded instead of wadded.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

thank you, bear! I sure hate untidy trash .
Old 06-09-2019, 02:09 PM

I have 'rushed' through a number of quilts when I first started quilting. they looked 'rushed' too. They were much loved by the people that received them as gifts. However now I am known to take a bit more time. I find hand quilting very relaxing and something I can do in the evenings when watching TV. I now only make a few quilts each year and time my time at them. They reflect the right amount of time I spend on them too. Even though I always put my best into my quilting I found that time and experience are my best teachers.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:00 PM

I liked quilting.....back when I didn't even know there was "Perfect"

I don't even like the word Perfect.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-10-2019 at 02:44 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-09-2019, 04:09 PM

Depends on the project. Some projects - I'm relaxed and just having fun. I want it to be Right, but don't stress over perfection. I'm just enjoying the whole process, possibly learning new techniques, and embracing my creative soul. Close enough is fine. =)
Other projects (paid projects especially) I work harder to get it right. I don't strive for perfection - but these projects are held to a higher Personal standard. IMO, only God is perfect. I'm very human - therefore happily imperfect. hahaha!
All that being said - I'm stressing like crazy over my current quilt projects - 2 memorial quilts for my niece & nephew made from their dad/my brother's shirts. I've never made a t-shirt quilt before - so I'm learning. And I know I can not mess up his shirts. They are one of a kind and irreplaceable. So I'm putting stress & pressure on myself! Ackkk!

When I work with the kids on Wednesday nights at my church I had one girl who had to have everything perfect. She stressed over the perfect colors to use on coloring sheets, staying in the lines, etc etc etc. IMO, it took the joy out of it for her. I talked & gently teased her about just letting go & having fun with things. I told her there are no mistakes in arts & crafts - just creative opportunities. She & I still talk & tease about her need for perfection - but I think she learned to relax and enjoy being creative. She is still a straight A student with lots of achievements - but I think she is enjoying the ride more now.

To quilt is human, to finish is Divine.

Donna Mc

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-10-2019 at 02:45 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-09-2019, 04:21 PM

Mousie, do you save the butter wrappers to grease the bottom of your baking pans?