Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
please help before the cussin starts!!! >

please help before the cussin starts!!!

please help before the cussin starts!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 02:05 PM

i have a theory concerning the weather. i think that when it's humid, the thread swells a teeny bit and the tension settings are wrong. that affects everything else. just my theory.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
Always check the take up lever to make sure your thread is in it. This seems to be the number one problem with nests on the underside all of a sudden. I read down the list to find that this may have been your problem too....we have all been here.

Good luck.
D in TX
I agree. I had never run into that problem until I bought my new Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 last fall and until recently, the thread was coming out of that take up lever and I have no clue why it was happening but it would sew beautifully and all of a sudden it changed. I discovered this and quickly rethreaded and back to sewing. I do use machine quilting thread. The teacher at the dealer suggested I try a different brand of thread as my machine just may not like my thread but all of a sudden the problem has disappeared and I have no clue what on earth I'm doing correctly now that I didn't do before. LOL. I'll take it.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fabriholic
My 'older model' Brother - I have learned - likes to collect lint under the bobbin case. Between that and this small issue: unevenly wrapped bobbin thread, I think I've discovered what creates that problem for me ... at least for now. I don't like messing with either tension and will only adjust the top. I have to "watch" the bobbins as they are winding and I've slowed the speed down, also. Glad to hear you're up and running again.
Love the photo in your avatar. Where in IL did you get it. I have a beautiful double rainbow take along interstate 80 as we were driving in a rain between Lasalle-Peru towards Manhattan, IL just out side of Joliet. I also have a beautiful double rainbow that was over our new home 3 years ago 2 weeks before a tornado went through where we live. The first one I understood as our daughter was a new teacher in a Catholic High School and they had just returned from a new teachers retreat and invited the parents to join them for a service upon return. This 2nd one I sensed was a promise from God about something and had no clue what until the tornado went through and the homes all around us had damage and we had very minor damage - the siding shifted in a few places and had to be shifted back and a sign from a gas station hit our roof lifting up a few shingles that we had to have tacked down. We treasure both of those double rainbow photos.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 PM

Hi Grammypatty7. I took the picture this past summer when visiting my friends north of Missoula in Montana. I just changed the Avatar a few days ago and was disappointed at how dull it shows up. I got several other photos the same day and I would be glad to share them with you if you PM me. (I'm not too good at attaching pictures.) R U a "snowbird?" I'd love to hear about it!
DI
Old 02-22-2010, 12:01 PM

I have a small Janome 3000 and had so many problems with the bobbin case. The serviceman put in a larger case and it worked ok for some tiem. Then I had the problem again, took it in and it checked out ok. I had rethreaded it several times and reinstalled the bobbin numerous times too. The Janome service man noted the thread would wrap around the needle which caused the thread to break.
I also noted that cone shaped thread would wrap around the thread holder and make a mess. So I am trying to stay with evenly wrapped thread, and prefer YLI.
My next machine will be a Bernina830.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:46 AM

I've also thought about humidity!!! If the thread is being affected by humidity so is the fabric we are sewing. Here on the Gulf coast of Texas humidity is always present!!! We do know that humidity affects the ink and paper for our printers, so why would it not affect fabrics and thread??
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
I have those gremlins too...only they like to eat the bobbin thread so it runs out without warning. I can hear them laughing when I have sewn an entire seam, only to discover the bobbin ran out after the first three inches...nasty-goblinses...
That often happens to me when I am sewing on binding and I might go almost a whole side of the quilt before I realize I am sewing without thresd.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:14 PM

First I would try and blow the lint out of the bobbin case. That usually does the trick. Good luck!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:45 PM

Another thing to remember is to thread your machine with the presser foot in the UP position. This relieves the tension on the tension discs and makes it easier to pass the thread between them. If you thread the machine with the presser foot in the down position, it is very likely the thread will end up outside the tension discs and cause tension problems, usually a lack of upper tension.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i have a theory concerning the weather. i think that when it's humid, the thread swells a teeny bit and the tension settings are wrong. that affects everything else. just my theory.
I agree.