Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Help!!! >

Please Help!!!

Please Help!!!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:36 PM

Wish you lived near Denver, CO. Our church quilting group has been begging for fabric. We make quilts for charity and desperately need fabric. Try locating groups in your area who do the same. I'm sure they would be thrilled to help you clean up some for a donation of fabric. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:39 PM

Some of us would be happy to buy some from you when you are ready! Just let me know by pm!! First you need to organize to see what you have. Do you have quilt friends who would help you mayne for some fabric??
Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 PM

You might also check with some of the local churches as many of them have a Prayer Quilt Ministry and need the donated fabrics to make quilts for those who need them. Check with local fire departments, they often need some lap sized quilts to be donated for those who have lost everything in a fire. You can also make small crib quilts for the NICU departments at hospitals in the area. Donate Red, White and Blue fabrics to your local Wounded Warrior or Quilts of Valor groups, if you have a local quilt shop, ask them how to contact either of these projects. There is always Project Linus and womens shelters too. These are all worthy charities and they would love to help you take some quilts off your hands and you would feel good about what you are doing.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 PM

How about donating qujlts to local nusing homes, day care facilities, and cancer centers? I am sure they woukd be most welcome. You might contact local churches for help with this.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 PM

there is a place here on the board for donations, giveaways and such. everyone esle has hit all the best places to donate.
best of luck to you.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by dchev View Post
I have been sewing and collecting fabric most of my life now I'm overwelmed with fabric and feel that I won't live long enough to get it worked up I have given a quilt to just about everyone that I know and I still have a large stack of blankets left. My so called home is over take with fabric of many many colors and designs. I have 4 rooms filled with fabric and could not tell you what all of the fabrics that I have I have tried and tried to straighten them out but have soooo much I don't ever get it right. I feel like I am going to die with the one that has the most fabrics. Does anyone have any ideas that could help me get this overwelming down to a reasonable amount that I could handle I have tried to help people on this board when they need a piece to finish something but never get a responce back on what they need.I have been watching people post they have soo much they don't know what to do and I have them all beat.
If you are thinking about selling fabric, I would be interested in some. I make quilts for different people, family and my daughter makes quilts for professors at collage who have went out of their way to help her, and her senior project: also we have been thinking about making quilts to raffle ,to help raise money for school supplies where she is doing her student teaching.So if you interested you can pm me.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 PM

WOW, I wish I lived closer, I recently purchased fabric from a retiring quilter on Craigslist, she grouped the fabrics in color stacks, you know, red tones, green tones etc. then she offered them for about $2.00 a yard, so she put them in 10 to 25 yard stacks and bundled them with ribbon and a short box, then wrapped them in plastic type wrap. You m9ght check with your local guild or maybe with your local quilt shop to see if they know of some quilters who might want to help you get it organized, if all else fails, do as I have been doing, pick get several different boxes, label them, Keep, sale and donate, then pick a stack to go through each time you have a moment and pile it on a table and start getting it in order, good luck, if I lived closer I would offer to come over to help, and probably end up buying fabric from you
Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 PM

I would love to come help you organize your stash! I've just gotten most of mine done...only one room though...
The next couple of months are going to be very busy for me, as I will be working weekends at Sherwood Forest Faire in Feb & March and Scarborough Renaissance Festival in April & May, plus making the drapes for our Scarborough Faire booth, but if you still need help once June rolls around, then I will be able to come over and do whatever you want done. Where in Texas are you? I spend a good bit of my time in the Plantersville/Magnolia area and the rest in the Waco/DFW area.
I will second everyones advice to just take it a little bit at a time and don't try to do it all at once. That's how I got mine done. It has taken since September, working on it an hour here, a couple hours there, maybe one day this week and one or two the next week and skipping a couple weeks along the way as well.
Look forward to meeting you! You WILL get a handle on this!!!
Patty
Old 02-05-2012, 10:18 PM

For those of you who are suggesting she sell on this Board, the new regulations require that you be a Senior Member to sell. That requires 300 posts. I really don't understand why they have put such a restriction on, but it is so.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 AM

Well you could always make me a quilt lol.