Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Help!!! >

Please Help!!!

Please Help!!!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 AM

Where in Texas do you live? You could post some of your fabric on E-Bay.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:16 AM

Lqs has a program that donates Fabric, machines, notions, patterns to the Woman's prison in ohio. LQS collects items and then a truck delivers items several time a year. You could check with your LQS to see if they might be interested in starting a similiar progeam. . Or donate fabric to quilting quilt to make charity quilts. Or post on this board for donations and buyer would pay shipping.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 AM

Guilds are often involved in making charity quilts and I am sure your local quilds would be happy for donations. Alternately you might be able to sell some fabric at their annual garage sales. Call and see if they have a sale and ask about renting a table. First I think you should do a lot of sorting perhaps into 3 categories: keep, donate, sell.

Good luck. We all have this problem but in varying degrees. I keep making and try to buy NOTHING but my stash does not seem smaller at all.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Swap Hosts

I know the feeling about having too much fabric. Selling your fabric online can be very time consuming and a nearly overwhelming task. Then, of course, there is the matter of keeping it organized so you can find it when someone makes a purchase. It sounds like you might have too much fabric to be able to do that. Will PM you.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Default MBQG returning military quilts

Our guild is making quilts for returning military personnel of our county who have been deployed overseas. We are using 100% cotton quilt shop quality fabrics in red (red/red prints), white (white-on-white white shirtings, and off-white) and blue (blue/blue prints). On March 10th we'll spend a full day making tops, and we'll invite the public to join us. If you have some nice fabric, fitting of these heroes, we would buy it from you and pay shipping.
Pieces would need to be:
red prints that read as a solid or near-solid red
white-on-white or off-white that reads as solid
white shirting prints with a compatible color
blue prints that read as a solid or near-solid blue
other colors may be present (gold, black, brown, tan) in small amounts
stripes of R, W, &/or B
high quality 100% cotton
pieces of 1 - 3 yards each -- some FQ's ok
5 pieces of 4-6 yards of backing fabric based on r/w/b
odor free & clean (we will rewash all)
Offering to pay up to $2 per yard plus postage
no more than 50 yards total
Joann Hansen, President MBQG
email: [email protected]
Old 02-05-2012, 08:28 AM

I haven't read all the reponses so I'm sorry if I'm telling you something you've read already.
I was in the same situation as you back in 06 and 07. It got to the point where I couldn't open drawers, the closet, and tubs because it was too hard to open and too difficult to find a certain fabric for a project. So, I would go to the local quilt shop and buy more of what I needed. It got to the point where I wasn't creative or inspired anymore. I went through my fabric and first got rid of ALL fabric I purchased at Joanns. I had many garbage bags full to the max. I gave them to quilters that couldn't afford to buy fabric and quilt groups. At first it was hard to part with it as I thought I needed it. The feeling was so great after getting rid of it that I continued on with my older quilt shop fabric and kits I put together. Again, good feeling once it left. I now have a large cabinet and a few kits left and still want to part with some more.
There are new fabric lines coming out daily that I absolutely love and don't want hanging out in my closet anymore for the "some day" quilt. Example is I just finished a Thimbleberries quilt from 2002! I loved it back then but not crazy about it now so it wan't the most exciting quilt I made and that to me, is sad. So I do understand because I too love, love, love fabric and I have to have it...or so I thought.
My goal is to have no fabric at all!!! Seriously! When I see a pattern I love, I will go to the fabric store and buy only what I need and begin the project right away. If I run into trouble and need a little more of a particuar new line I'm working with, they will surely have it in stock or online.
So good luck because you can scale back your stash for a fresh start.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Whenever I feel over whelmed by my fabric stash (no where near yours) I donate it to the senior center and they love it. I have donated various craft supplies also & they make you feel like you have done something special for them. You won't get any money from it but you will get rid of a lot of fabric. Maybe you could donate the fabric that is older and do not think you would get much for .
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 AM

I second the donations to Project Linus suggestions. I have been using my stash to make from four to twenty pieced tops every month or two to go to my local PL chapter. This wonderful chapter gave children in crisis between 400 and 500 quilts last year. They take donations of everything from fabric to ready to go quilts. I have started providing backs (3-4 inches bigger than my donated tops) to go with the tops I am making. Others donate the quilting and binding. It's really getting my stash down to size. Am it is making me feel FABULOUS!!
I hope you will consider Project Linus if you choose to donate! Good Luck!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Where in Texas?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:17 AM

A toolthbrush rug is a great way to use up unwanted fabric. No need to plan colors. Anything goes and the end result is a colorful cotton rug that is heavy and thick. I love mine. Google toothbtrush rug directions and you will get lots of instruction.