Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Help!!! >

Please Help!!!

Please Help!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
There are several of us who live in Texas. Do you need some to come and help you to organize? To deliver fabric to groups who will make charity quilts or otherwise help you out? You speak about thinking about dying with all of your fabric left behind. When my mother was getting older she did not have the energy to deal with large problems like your fabric might be. This is why I am asking if you need help.
I definitely do NOT mean to imply that any of us would come and help ourselves to your fabric, only come and be willing hands to help a fellow quilter. There must be some of us some of us in reasonable distance - 100 miles or so- of you.
I am with Tonya....there are several of us here in Texas that can help. Let us know.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 AM

Let the lovely Texans help you. Good luck. You have taken the first step by describing your dilemma. Well done. Keep us posted on your progress.
Annie
Old 02-05-2012, 01:20 AM

tell me how i can help you? i could use some cowboy prints. i lived in dallas for 25 yrs and i want to make a texan quilt. do you have anything like that?
Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 AM

There are many places that I can think of that you could donate your fabric to; Goodwill, Salvation Army, Girl Scouts to name a few. If you're not sure how to donate to Girl Scouts, start by bringing in a box or two. From there, I'm sure they can hook you up with a leader or two. Good luck. I'd be curious to hear from you personally, what progress you make on your attempt to reduce your stash.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 AM

What a wonderful group of quilters here and so many terrific suggestions! I would suggest clearing one room at a time so you stay on track and can see the progress. Get some (at least 6) boxes from your grocery store (with lids), mark Donate, Sell, Keep, and then start. My first round through room #1 would be to pull fabric that is to be donated either to charity or to a guild. Then if you want to sell some, either follow suggestions and method for selling here on the QB, a local quilting guild or on Craigslist. I would also consider taking up the offer of help from someone who lives near you and is a quilter, too. Once you have room #1 done, you can start fabric folding on the ruler or using the core boards to organize your stash. The only other suggestion that I have is this: All of my storage bins are clear so I can see the fabric. Maybe you can use the money from the sale to update your sewing room, too. And remember, this didn't happen overnight so set a goal of 2-4 weeks for each room. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 AM

You could donate fabric to people that make quilts for the Lioness Project. Or to churches that make quilts for charities. I do both and we can always use fabric.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by dchev View Post
Thanks for all the replys and ideas. I live in Texas. If anyone needs a special fabric please let me know.
wish i lived closer i would surely come and help you. i am making a motorcycle quilt for my grandso nif you have anything that i can use that would be great. thanks dotti
Old 02-05-2012, 05:59 AM

Our area has small quilting and sewing groups at the local churches. These groups might be interested in the material since they are making items for charity and would love the donated fabrics.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:00 AM

I also suggest that instead of pricing fabric by the yard, price by the pound. That way it does not matter what the size and scraps sell for the same as yardage. One yard is usually around 5 ounces. All you need to have or borrow is a baby scale. A local estate did the room full of fabric this way and anyone can weigh but there are issues with measuring, like having the right sized table and having people who only want part of something. This estate did not have to measure anything. It was great. I went back twice.

Post the method in big big letters and it even helps having two scales (borrow them) so someone can tell if they have enough money before coming up to the pricing counter.

I just got thru sorting all my fabric and cannot use anymore until something goes out the door. But at least I halfway know what I have.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:03 AM

I say have a sale. I'm not sure where you live but normally there are sewers/quilters everywhere. I would say I wish it was in my area but I'm so broke that I can't buy anything for quite sometime in the future. See if there are any guilds in your area who could help with the sale; maybe even a private sale starting off with guild or shop workers and if needed then have a large yard/garage sale or list if on Craigslist if you feel comfortable with it. You shouldn't feel this stressed over having so much fabric. Do you have someone on close who could help you with this that may be helpful. Good luck and try to cut back on the stress. Congratulations on being able to give quilts to those you care about; that's what I'm working on.