Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polyester batting >

Polyester batting

Polyester batting

Old 07-18-2010, 09:46 AM

I used to always use polyester because it was cheaper. Then I got started using Warm and Natural. Fabrics seem to adhere to it and I love it. It is more expensive, but oh well.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
seems like there are people who will say..."cotton is best" and there are those who will tell you "poly is best(the dream green batting which is green and made from plastic bottles is just like using artic fleece for a batting)

does this mean you like the dream green?? thanks for all the advice....seems like you're giving a very researched opinion...I like that!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:43 AM

I am so glad that I found this post. I had always preferred cotton. Then I read or heard someone say that cotton is much harder to work with. I will go back using cotton after reading the different post here. However, there are some things that I will still use the poly.
Thanks again for all of the in put. And thanks to the person who ask this question.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:58 AM

Just wanted to remind everyone never to use polyester batting in a child's quilt. It is a fire hazard because it melts and sticks to the skin.

The ultimate batting is silk, but it is very pricy. I'm making a silk jacket and using this batting for hand quilting.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:42 AM

There is a warm & white as well as warm & natural, I really like them both
Old 07-18-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterInVA
Just wanted to remind everyone never to use polyester batting in a child's quilt. It is a fire hazard because it melts and sticks to the skin.

The ultimate batting is silk, but it is very pricy. I'm making a silk jacket and using this batting for hand quilting.

Thank you for mentioning that, I was going to as well. Please no poly for children!!! And, honestly I won't use it at all for that reason. It will melt on an adult just as easily, so unless the quilt is for something other than sleeping under, no poly for me.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA

Thank you for mentioning that, I was going to as well. Please no poly for children!!! And, honestly I won't use it at all for that reason. It will melt on an adult just as easily, so unless the quilt is for something other than sleeping under, no poly for me.

Wow, thanks for this advise. I had not thought about that.
Another good reason to use cotton batting.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:43 PM

I've started to use two batts in my "to show" quilts. A very thin cotton batt (against the backing) with a wool batt over the top. Then I can do fancy quilting patterns and quilt the background behind these fairly heavily. It then give the effect of trapunto without all the cutting out that is usually done.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 PM

The biggest problem with Poly for me is the way it catches in my equipment. But it is nice to use in a puffy quilt because it is so lofty. I usually use cotton or fleece.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

I'm with Kathy for all her reasons. I prefer the cotton over polyester.