Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Polyester batting

I have been quilting since 1988 and used poly in a couple of my quilts and didn't like the bearding at all. Once I started machine quilting, I found that I liked cotton batting or hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting; poly batting slips. when you're machine quilting, cotton sticks to your fabrics.
    My hubby sweats far too much under a quilt with poly
    batting in it.
    Sharon W.

I only use polyester batting, it doesn't shrink like cotton will and warm and natural shrinks also. All 92 Quilts and comforters I have made in the last 45 years has polyester batting inside them.
    It is very nice to work with. I used warm and natural in a bird cage cover and it shrank when I washed it and dried it, polyester has never done that. We sleep under a quilt all year round and have no problems, heat in winter and A/C and ceiling fan in summer.

Blog Entries
    Depends on what I want the quilt to do.

If I want it real traditional, or if I want it to be a true, warm bed quilt, I use cotton.

If I want it lightweight and "breathe-y," that is to say not hot, then I use polyester.

If I want it thin and drapable, such as in a mini, then I use a very thin polyester.

If I want it durable such as a tabletopper then I use cotton - which also accommodates possible hot dishes.

I usually always use warm & natural.

If you want to try it, go for Hobbs Tuscany Washable Wool. I didn't feel that it was all that much more in cost but Oh what a difference in a quilt. It quilts beautifully and feels wonderful, drapes beautifully. Can you tell I really like it.

New quilter here, and I'm confused. (Not that I'm new to being confused or anything. lol)

Anyway, I'm taking a beginning quilt class at my LQS and our teacher told us that cotton was for machine quilting and poly for hand quilting. What's the reasoning there? I think she said it had to do with how the batting binds to the fabric of the quilt top??

I use both the Poly - I buy the thin type I get from Hancock of paduca and it is soft and drapes beautiful and get my 20/80 warm and natural from joannes - I enjoy them both - the difference is that cotton breathes and poly keeps body heat in ... I use poly for quilts that I use in the winter when guest come and we turn down the heat in the house (at night) so they won't get cold. I have a scappy quilt on my bed with poly and it is the only blanket I use because I get too warm with more than one blanket on me at night. But I think every one should use what they like.

Blog Entries
    Judy, I second that confusion statement.

There are no steadfast rules when it comes to batting, it's more a preference thing. That was the teachers opinion.

I think warm & natural is better for me to machine quilt.

Blog Entries
    I agree Kate, it seems more stable. I seem to get more puckers when I have used the poly batting.

I use Quilter's Dream Poly Batting for my best quilts. It is light weight and quilts up wonderfully whether by hand or machine. It is good to use for places that need a light breathable quilt, like South Florida. For my family in the north I use Jo Ann's polyester because they like the puffy warm effect. For them I use a medium loft. Finding what is right for you and those you love requires testing and what you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
    Judy, I second that confusion statement.

There are no steadfast rules when it comes to batting, it's more a preference thing. That was the teachers opinion.
    Thank you. :)

The safety issue is definite.

I really like Warm and Natural, but my husband likes heavier quilts, so I bought some Dream Cotton supreme and deluxe weight batting. I like them both and they are heavier(and warmer). I like the puckered look when they are washed. I recently purchased Dream Wool and am looking forward to using it in a large quilt for my bed. Does anyone use wool batting and if so what are your thoughts on it and which brand do you prefer?

I found the price of poly batting way cheaper than the rest and as I am new to this craft I wasn't keen on spending much. I have made 4 quilts and was very frustrated when I quilted the first three as no matter what I did they would pucker on the backing. I bought some cotton batting for the last quilt I made and it didn't pucker at all! I think that was because the polyester seems to stretch between the layers but the cotton didn't, it was much easier to work with also. I will not be going the polyester way anymore :!:

Dee
    I only have used warm and natural or warm and white. Never tried the poly.

I've never tried cotton because to me it feels 'heavier' and I like a light fluffy quilt (more like a comforter).

I slept under quilts with cotton batting as a child and always felt weighted down..of course my mom felt like you needed 3 or 4 to be 'good and warm', since all heat was turned off at night, and a window had to be open an inch or so too!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use what ever batting is sent to me. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett Sweet
    If you want to try it, go for Hobbs Tuscany Washable Wool. I didn't feel that it was all that much more in cost but Oh what a difference in a quilt. It quilts beautifully and feels wonderful, drapes beautifully. Can you tell I really like it.
    Give me wool any day, also. It conforms to you. Can be cool in summer and warm in winter. It quilts beautifully and doesn't beard. And wool is fire-retardant!

Blog Entries
    I have been using "Soft & Elegant" or "Simply Cotton" from Ebay. Inexpensive but I love it on the Tin Lizzie and it drapes beautifully better yet its under $30.00 including shipping for 90 x 120.

I use Quilters Dream Blend 70/30 for my quilts. Their label says it is especially made for machine quilting (of course they could be saying that just to sell the product). I've used in in many quilts and it holds up beautifully in the wash.

The biggest difference between polyester batting and cotton batting is --- cotton shrinks Polyester doesn't. Another reason I only use polyester batting.

I never iron my quilts after I sandwich them. I wouldn't know if the polyester melts or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingleberry
    The biggest difference between polyester batting and cotton batting is --- cotton shrinks Polyester doesn't. Another reason I only use polyester batting.

I never iron my quilts after I sandwich them. I wouldn't know if the polyester melts or not.
    Yes, polyester melts. These are pictures from a cotton fabric quilt with poly batting. It was on a bed on top of an electric blanket that was turned on. A 3 year old was sitting on the quilt playing, the pressure from his body on the quilt and electric blanket was enough for the quilt to catch on fire and the poly batting melt. My guild is trying to salvage the quilt. Only the quilt, electric blanket and bed were hurt, not the little boy.

Melted poly batting, burned cotton, front
    Name:  Attachment-73142.jpe
Views: 80
Size:  42.5 KB

back
    Name:  Attachment-73143.jpe
Views: 88
Size:  36.1 KB

I love the wool batting from Hancocks of Paducah. It's so soft and cuddly. Makes a great quilt.

I'm kind of late to the party, but I was looking for any help with the weight of the poly batting I can buy. I can get it in 80 gram up to 200 gram weight. I was wondering what the typical weight would be for machine quilting. Does anyone know?

Those of you who buy it in 30 meter rolls or something like that...do you have just one choice to buy? How did you decide which loft to buy?

As to being a fire hazard due to melting on a child. I'm maybe a bit cynical, but if the polyester is between two layers of fabric, wouldn't the child already be in a "heap of hurt" if the fabric is so hot that the inside melts? Seems like it is "too hot" already.

It doesn't burn, but just melts, so that seems like a plus. As a fire hazard, cotton definitely would burn more easily. Don't they make pjs often out of some sort of poly fabric that isn't flammable? I thought that non flammability was actually a plus.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3