Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it possible to only buy for a particular pattern? >

Is it possible to only buy for a particular pattern?

Is it possible to only buy for a particular pattern?

Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

This is slightly OT, but on the rare occasion when DH and I have a tiff OR on the more common occasion when I have a tiff with myself, I take a little side trip to a quilt shop or a fabric shop and just touching the fabrics and seeing the colors makes it all better. :wink:

Is it cheaper than therapie? Probably not - ROFL.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:24 AM

Hello I am Lisa and I am a fabric-aholic. I have a pretty good size stash. I don't buy fabric for specific projects unless I am looking for a specific fabric for a project i am working on and don't have exactly what I need.
I buy fabric every few months when I can get to a quilt shop and afford it and then I buy whatever strikes my fancy. I have a quilt journal that I take with me and in that journal I have basically drawn my quilts (all the ones I have been thinking of doing and getting the ideas out of my head and down on paper) and put down ideas of colors I would like to use .I also have a swatch of every fabric I own in it. Okay its more of a BIG binder then a journal. This way I make sure I don't buy the same fabric twice. And I always buy at least a yard of a fabric I like.
My mother-in-law also helps build my stash up. She sends Christmas and all birthday presents wrapped in fabric and do I get some way cool fabrics.
I saved up all the Christmas fabrics for a few years and made my MIL a nice patchwork lapquilt for Christmas.

Lisa
Old 05-01-2009, 08:26 AM

MadQuilter.. speaking of therapy. I actually started quilting because my therapist said I needed a relaxing hobby. I was in therapy for major stress issues. After a few months of quilting I had to decide I can either afford therapy or Quilting...lol. Quilting WON!!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:15 PM

I usually only buy fabric for certain projects, but, it's only true in a sense.

If I see a fabric I love, I look through books and get ideas of what I want to make. I love the planning stages of a quilt. I will buy enough of each that I could use them for most any pattern I would like to. Then I have enough of all the fabrics for a quilt.

My stash has come mostly from swaps and extras from other quilts. I've also been given lots of fabric. I don't usually buy just a FQ here or there or just a yd. I'm big on 3 or more yds of each fabric so I know I will have enough.

I have several large drawers full of fabric w/ pattern for specific projects.

Lynette
Old 05-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
I think that would be considered abnormal, possibly bordering on needing intervention... :twisted:
I agree with you, peaceandjoy. I once saw an older woman buying a pattern and a few cuts to make it with. I backed away slowly so that I wouldn't catch whatever she had.