Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
poverty induced guilt. >

poverty induced guilt.

poverty induced guilt.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM
KLO

I belong to a small quilt group and a guild. The guild has a library from which a member can borrow any book. My small group shares books among themselves all the time. I too feel a little tinge of something when I borrow the books even if they are from the main local library. But the libraries did have to buy the books to have on hand so at least that was another book sold. Some of the borrowed books inspire me to find other books/patterns by that author and buy them which I wouldn't have know about otherwise. How about ebay? Used patterns/books are sold all the time there and the originator of said book/pattern is not getting anything back from that sale. If I were a book/pattern designer I would be upset about all if this I think but what can one do about it?

Life is complicated and we live in a capitalistic society. Once you have bought something with your hard earned money, it is yours to do with as you please .... sell, give away, throw away, etc.

Oh and has anyone noticed how close the word "quilt" and "guilt" are? Yes, I too feel guilty some if I borrow a book from a friend but at least one copy was sold and I was not going to buy it anyway. This is definitely a touchy and complicated discussion.

Last edited by KLO; 10-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:51 AM

I think that rather than feel guilty, you should pat yourself on the back for being sensible with your money, celebrate your ability to solve problems creatively and enjoy the process and accomplishment of quilting with a robust happy dance! No more mea culpas please!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:29 AM

Don't worry about it! Our foremothers borrowed, exchanged, and designed quilts for all to enjoy. We have all gotten paranoid about patterns and designs. My suggestion is to learn to draft your own patterns and then they will be your own. Have fun. That's the name of the game.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I would just try to give the quilt shop some business as soon as you are able. As for the book author, you are benefiting from her ideas, so like someone else said, be sure to give her name and the name of the book when you post your pictures online. That may help by causing someone else to buy the book, at least.

I understand your guilt. Creative people should be paid for their work, just like anyone else.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Many of the quilts that I've seen in books seem to be based on quilts/patterns that the book author saw 'someplace else.'

Where does 'public domain' end and 'copyright' begin"

I still don't understand how the author of the Dear Jane book - who DID NOT MAKE THE QUILT -and as far as I know - does not own it - can profit from it or prevent others from using the quilt for inspiration for OTHER books based on the quilt by Jane A. Stickles.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:25 PM

IMHO, making a quilt you found in a book or magazine for your own personal use it allowed, otherwise, why would they be published for you to see? If you will be displaying or entering it in a show or contest, then by all means, give credit where credit is due. Things change completely if you are making to sell. Then you must be attentive to copy right and design infringement.

That said, I get most all my inspiration from books checked out at the library, or from free you tube videos. If I see a pattern that really grabs by attention, then I will buy it, but so far have not used any of the patterns I have bought. A lot of 'patterns' I have seen, are really just creative fiddling with the old time public domain patterns anyway. The art quilters are so far advanced beyond my capabilities, that I not only would not be able to replicate their work from memory, but doubt I could do it following a pattern either. So no worries there.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:46 PM

Those that are interested may please visit my QB thread "Falling Leaves Quilt Challenge." I'd love to see what that means to you.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Dee

You don't have to carry around any guilt. Be happy and happy quilting.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Many people are cutting back due to prices and income. Do what you can and don't apologize.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 AM

OK, here is a list of "why you should not feel guilty".
1. Libraries - both public and quilt guild libraries someone did pay for every single book with the express intention of lending them out to people who would most likely not buy them. Also, every best selling author knows that his/her work will be enjoyed by many people who have borrowed - rather than bought - the book. I think they are OK with that, too.
2. There are many of us who buy a quilting book and never make a single item in it. We just love looking at the book - maybe only once or twice. We've made up for all of those "library" users. Case in point, I own every single book put out by Kumiko Sudo because I think they are gorgeous feasts for the eye.
3. Truth be told, the only quilts that a lot of us need a pattern for are the "art" variety. I happen to be a "math type" with color sense who can draft patterns, change sizes, etc. so a pattern is unnecessary.
4. Jenny at Missouri Star Quilt Co. is my hero! Love that woman's YouTube tutorials!!!!! All free information.
5. If you display it, make sure there is a label giving credit to your "design inspiration". It's all good.

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
when i posted the other day about "manly quilts", someone suggested cherri house's very wonderful city quilts book.

so i went and previewed the book on amazon, fell in love with one of the patterns via google image search and then rode over to the local quilt shop who has it in stock.

i looked up the pattern and there is no specific layout, no real pattern and a very well established technique in my skill set.

i'm a phd student with a child. $25 for a book i will only use for one pattern (which isn't really a pattern at all but rather a design idea....) is too much. so i didn't buy it. and i feel guilty because cherri house did a fantastic job, and so does that little quilt shop and well....

i'm going to make that quilt and no one is going to make any money for their time, effort or labour to help me make that quilt. and for that i am truly sorry.

aileen