Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Price for Craft Show Booth??? >

Price for Craft Show Booth???

Price for Craft Show Booth???

Old 08-14-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
I'm thinking about having a booth at a local craft fair in October. It's a 10x10 booth and the price is $50. If I want to borrow their tables, it's $10 per table. My husband thinks $50 is alot for a booth and pointed out I would have to sell quite a bit to make a profit with that kind of overhead. However, since things aren't really selling on artfire, I figure it's worth a shot to try and sell some things. Is $50 a reasonable price for the space and is it worth it to pay for their tables? I don't have any tables of my own but a friend says she has a couple which fold in the middle that I could borrow. I'm just trying to think of how much of a pain it will be to carry everything in.

Fifty dollars is very reasonable in Illinois but haven't seen that price in years, but here in Illinois the cheapest price I have seen for a booth is $125. for a 8x8 and I would use their tables, because that is a lot of work to carry in, I always used theirs.

Thanks for your suggestions! :)
Old 08-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Swap Hosts

$50 is a steal! The craft fairs we have here in town charge $350 and you get nothing but the space.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 AM

We have a local fair here and tables are 300.00 for a three day weekend.
I looked up this information after seeing pillowcases selling for 25.00 per pillowcase...then I saw why they were so expensive.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:52 AM

The price of a booth at a big show is so high because of the liabilty insurance if someone gets hurt. I do better selling at a flea market then shows. The cost is more reasonable.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:20 AM

Ok, y'all made up MY mind. I've mentioned several times in other posts about our up coming honey festival our town puts on every year. My friend and I have been playing with the idea of getting a booth this year. It is $40 for an 8 x 10 area. I thought that was high, till my dh reminded me that the cost would be split between my friend and I, lol.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 AM

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and advice. I've decided to get a space and rent 2 tables. The show is October 15 and I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
I'm thinking about having a booth at a local craft fair .... since things aren't really selling on artfire....
Since you’re selling on ArtFire, you might want to consider your Craft Show booth space costs as advertising costs, and promote your ArtFire listings while at the show. While sometimes shows can be a lot of work for little income, the exposure of your items can be worth a lot. It allows folks to see what craft items you have available, and that they can get them at other times, not just at the Craft Show. Even the shoppers that don’t buy from your booth learn what items you have, and you might make additional ArtFire sales in the future. Provide a small handout to help them find you on ArtFire (or Etsy, or eBay, or at your B&M Shop).

We work a Craft Show every once in a while just to remind people that we have more than just fabric and notions at our shop, including finished craft items. If it’s a show that benefits a community organization, so much the better, we’re helping our community as well.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Vat

Our 1 1/2 quilt show, booths are $200. So, $50 is a bargain, and everybody like a bargain.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:44 AM

One other thing....if you can have some work with you...ESPECIALLY if you can incorporate a vintage sewing machine, it will make folks stop and talk to you. A treadle or a handcrank will draw a crowd. Just don't forget to stop working to answer their questions and chat with them! :)
Old 08-14-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Consider it a learning experience.
You may need someone to man the booth for personal breaks. If you're lucky your neighbor will be willing to do so. If not...
Have food/snacks you can eat that can be picked up & put down if you're interrupted.
Keep good records in case a there's a tax person wondering the hall.
I wondered about the taxes on items we sell. I am not sure where to look for information that I can understand. Any suggestions/info???? Thank you.