Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you define CREATIVE? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-define-creative-t115309.html)

sewnserge 04-12-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by TeriD
That's the weirdest definition of creative I've ever heard. It seems to me that doing your own thing is MORE creative than following a pattern, plan, etc.

Amen. Maybe he is just a little jealous????

sewnserge 04-12-2011 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by LindaaJR
Creative to me is to look at a blank easel, a pile of brushes and paint and make something from nothing. Look at a pile of fabric and a sewing machine and make something to wear, use, sleep under. So on and so on.
The creative person looks at a pattern and thinks beyond the directions and creates her/his own design.
I take it you husband is not creative? Is he an engineer? Engineers seem to think all things work on rules and principles. Take care.
Linda

Yep -- he's gotta be an engineer.....

cathyvv 04-12-2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Julianna
Thanks everyone for the affirmations and smiles. :) My DH is actually very creative (by yours and my definition) in his work, hobbies, outdoors, traveling, building, writing, painting, etc. He just dosen't think I am. I told him of your thoughts and he finally conceeded, just a tiny bit, that I might be somewhat resourceful. He said that because I am wrong (again) that I don't go buy all the items needed to make something but rather use and adapt what I have. He spends whatever it takes, I try not to spend anything. As long as I know my opinion counts with you all I'm content. We are all very creative! :) Thanks again.

Tell him that we'd rather be lost in the jungle with you BECAUSE you are creative enough to adapt and use what you have on hand - a survival skill. That could be the difference between life and death. There isn't always a store around when you have an emergency, so you better be able to improvise.

Jammin' Jane 04-12-2011 10:44 AM

Doing your "thing"...that's creativity! Better give that guy a dictionary!

LivelyLady 04-12-2011 10:48 AM

I would say creative is something you create not something you copy

trolleystation 04-12-2011 10:51 AM

Per Oxford Dictionary: Creativity: 1. having the power or ability to create things. 2. showing imagination and originality as well as routine skill, creative work. Not to be unkind, but, does he call your quilts.....blankets? Mine still does after almost 30 years of quilting. I guess that they just don't get it.

cathyvv 04-12-2011 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by kateyb

Originally Posted by Julianna

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by kateyb
I think your husband must have a mathematical mind - the type that could be an engineer. They have to follow a certain amount of "rules" or it doesn't work.

I beg to differ-------------to be creative sometimes you need a mathematical mind. I can draw my own patterns------because I can do the math.

but I do know what you mean.

I agree CrannieAnnie as I taught math for years and am still creative. But I much preferred teaching Sciences - more fun and our project were very creative.

Maybe I think that way because my dad had a very mathematical mind and was an engineering type. He had very little artistic creativity. I did not do well in math but can do geometric things - just don't ask me to explain it mathematically.

My husband is an engineer and can be creative and quite resourceful. But I have noticed that he's much more creative if he's working on a project that HE thinks of doing, than when he's working on a project that I ask him to do.

justflyingin 04-12-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ssgramma

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I say your DH has it completely back wards. His way is not creative infact it restricts all creativity. You can tell him I said that. :-).

Ditto!

Ditto again!

patski 04-12-2011 10:58 AM

Give you DH a big kiss and IGNORE him. I think you are being totally creative

vschieve 04-12-2011 11:38 AM

Creative sewing is an art, just like painting a picture. You visualize it and you follow that visual in your creation.

Poor DH; he has it back asswards!