Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you define CREATIVE? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-define-creative-t115309.html)

nclauri 04-12-2011 01:11 PM

I think I am NOT CREATIVE because I do follow the patterns exactly. To me you are creative when you use a pattern as a sample and change it up to make your own or make your own from scratch.

quilt crazee 04-12-2011 01:23 PM

maybe he means if you followed the pattern you could be CREATING-that you are not putting out enough product-MASS PRODUCER?!-husbands - they say the darnest things!

writerwomen 04-12-2011 01:34 PM

First step to being creative is the desire to do something yourself instead of buying. It is true we all need help from someone elses patten but following them to the tee is nothing more then following the leader. As a writer I have come to embrace the fact aptly put by one publisher- If you think you are writing something new you're not. Somewhere along the line it's been done at least once- the thing you have to do is give your spin on it. For most of us it's not the issue of being creative- it's the- okay now what I got this far but now I'm sort of stuck. Think about it- if you have been around for a while all the new craft sewing books are spin offs of projects you've seen before just simply with new colors or a variation to the directions

serenitybygrace 04-12-2011 01:34 PM

At school, we ask the student to check their definition in the dictionary: creative = Able to create: esp., having or showing the power to produce original work..
create = To produceas a work of art or imagination.
a la Webster's Student Dictionary - would he take the dictionary as proof his idea is not correct?

carol43 04-12-2011 01:34 PM

I think you are creative!

Rose Bagwell 04-12-2011 01:36 PM

I would lead him to a dictionary, the fact that you change things is part of your creative being. Even if you follow a pattern exactly, no two people cut,sew, assemble, quilt it the same, so that is to be creative. Your dh needs to zip it unless he knows his Webster.

Gabbystabber 04-12-2011 01:49 PM

Seems to me dear Hubby is messing with you....Following a pattern is a no brainer.....doing your own thing....now that is creative!
Donna

dphelps 04-12-2011 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
donttell your husband but I think he has it ass backwards... lol

I could not have said it better and shame on him for putting you down. Don't let it bother you. Maybe you should tell him to use a dictionary.Don't mean to be such a b---- about it but some men......

Julianna 04-12-2011 03:12 PM

Wow! You gals are just awesome.......smart too. :)

DeniseP 04-12-2011 03:22 PM

To me being creative means to create things my way. Sometimes I follow directions and sometimes not. It would be so boring if everyone made the same quilts! DH needs to go back to the sandbox and learn some more.