Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My pesty kitties and work surfaces (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-pesty-kitties-work-surfaces-t64833.html)

sunkistmi 09-15-2010 09:27 AM

I can so relate to this thread. I don't think any of us 'allow' our buddies on the counter or table but my kitties just look and me and say "MAKE ME!". They blink those eyelashes and with one "meow", they have me.

QBeth 09-15-2010 09:28 AM

I find a few yards or so of the cheapest muslim out there and cut large pieces to cover various areas in my sewing room. It usually works. Good luck.

Fabricnut 09-15-2010 12:33 PM

I've heard of using half strength vinegar to spray at dogs that bark at people at your door. Maybe it work on cats on fabric too. My cat just lies behind the sewing machine or on top of my fabric usually. At night I put my plastic bags or cutting board over what I want to protect. I also hang up what I'm working on when I remember to do it.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-15-2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by canmitch1971
I have 3 cats but none of them seem interested in my quilting stuff. I guess I should be grateful.

Are you 100% positive they are cats???? ha ha ha :mrgreen:

Jingle 09-15-2010 12:58 PM

Debbie you are so funny. My cockatiel is a lot bigger than that bird. I have 4 cats that share my sewing room and I run them out when I'm ready to sew. I only have 1 cat, the youngest that will get onto anything and everything when he feels like it, other cats look at him, like what are you doing? They learned a long time ago not to do dumb stuff like that. His name is Scammy, a large, not fat, 4 yrs. old, I chased him off about 6 places yesterday and finally stuck him in his large crate. After having to do this about 6 times, all I have to do is threaten to put him in the crate and he will straighten up for several weeks and then we start all over again. He is very hard headed. Crates solve lots of problems. Hubby calls it giving him a time out, like with kids, of course, with kids just making them sit on a chair.

zennia 09-15-2010 01:17 PM

All I have to say is the word sewing and my little girl is right there to help me. I wish I knew the answer,hope someone can help us. Mine always seem to be right where I need to be.

Numa 09-15-2010 01:23 PM

My husband says I must be the only quilter without a cat!But I enjoy all of your adventures, LOL

Char 09-15-2010 01:30 PM

Get a spry bottle filled with water. A couple of squirts will make them move. And then get them a cat tower with several levels. :wink:

sahm4605 09-15-2010 02:14 PM

have you tried a spray bottle with tea tree oil in it and spraying them when ever they are on your stuff or you see them getting on stuff, I know it sounds mean but it works. you do have to keep on them though.

luvTooQuilt 09-15-2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen

Originally Posted by moonrise
I close the door. ;) he he (My sewing room is our tiny 3rd bedroom, so it has a door on it.)

However, my kitchen, dining area, and living room are all "open", and are separated by only a half-wall, so it's impossible to keep the kitties out (we have 4). They know to stay off the counters and the stove (for the most part), but they won't stay off the kitchen table. I have to wipe it off constantly. :roll:

The counter and stove they know is a no no, but once in a while, if there is something they want up there, they will go get it, lol...what do you use to wipe with? I usually do an old rag with some disinfecting spray on it or handi wipes...

I friend of mine kept a water bottle close by, so when the kitty did a no-no ( hop on the table, counter, etc) he'd spray them.. after a few drenchings the kitty got the idea.. lol..