Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My pesty kitties and work surfaces (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-pesty-kitties-work-surfaces-t64833.html)

Jamiestitcher62 09-15-2010 02:23 PM

My cats wig out over Ben-gay and Icy Hot. Maybe open up a jar of that stuff and leave it on the table like an air freshener, that might keep them away. LOL.

sandpat 09-15-2010 03:31 PM

Oh all you people who think you have your cats "trained"....I'm ROTFLMAO!!!! You only have them trained while you are standing right there! xyz..is the only one to admit it though...Too funny!! Come on admit it ya'll

chris_quilts 09-15-2010 03:53 PM

My cat is very well trained. When I pull out fabric, he comes to give me a hand and doesn't leave until after I've finished cutting or whatever for the time. Romeo, my avatar, is my helper and water works to keep him away from the door but not off fabric. Go figure. I agree, they're only 'trained" when their wait staff is nearby but not otherwise. I admit, mine has trained me and not vice versa.

Pat and pups 09-15-2010 03:55 PM

A little vinegar in the water in the spray bottle.
A can of compressed air.
A mouse trap upside down so when it goes off it won't actually catch kitty but will scare the little one.
A piece hot dog with thread tied to it. Tie the other end of the thread to a couple of coke cans so when kitty jumps up and steals hotdog the cans chase it away.
Hot sauce or Tabasco sauce.
Vicks Vapo-rub.

bkb 09-15-2010 04:04 PM

Most cats hate the smell of ginger. Kept our cat out of the Christmas tree. Put some on the rug in front of the door of the baby's room and cat would not go across it!

moonrise 09-15-2010 04:26 PM

A squirt bottle didn't work for me. They think it's a game. :roll: Plus you have to actually catch them in the act, and they learned that if I'm not in the kitchen, they can get away with stuff. I'd head down the hall towards the kitchen, and I'd hear kitties scrambling to jump off the counter. By the time I got to the kitchen, they'd all have their halos on, and there was no way to know which ones had been on the counter! :lol: Little stinkers.

That's why I went with the upside-down contact paper. I didn't have to watch them constantly for it to work! :mrgreen:

Jingle 09-15-2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pat and pups
A little vinegar in the water in the spray bottle.
A can of compressed air.
A mouse trap upside down so when it goes off it won't actually catch kitty but will scare the little one.
A piece hot dog with thread tied to it. Tie the other end of the thread to a couple of coke cans so when kitty jumps up and steals hotdog the cans chase it away.
Hot sauce or Tabasco sauce.
Vicks Vapo-rub.

I wouldn't use any of the above, sounds like a bad deal to me.
A spray bottle of water is fine, I don't use it as I don't want water on my stuff.

littlehud 09-15-2010 06:13 PM

Mine have me trained well. I wait on them hand and foot and they come to me if it suits them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wvdek 09-15-2010 06:37 PM

A spray bottle of water (all I have to do now is hold the bottle and aim their way and off they go), put the ironing board away when not in use, cover or put stuff away so they can't get to it. We have 6 cats in teh house. Um, let me re-phrase that. My DD has 6 cats in teh house.

fratcat 09-15-2010 06:50 PM

I have two felines that love to be in the quilting room with me. I have moved a miniature cat condo in there for one to lay on and the other one was jealous so I moved a wooden t.v. stand on there and put a blanket on it and my second cat lays on that stand. When I leave the room, I cover my quilting table and sewing machine with a sheet to keep the cat hairs off. Should my two quilting companions get rambuctious and try to get on the table when I'm sewing or quilting, I chase them off, or attempt to chase them off. If that doesn't work, I just take out my trusty water pistol and aim. Works all the time. First time is a charm.