Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My pesty kitties and work surfaces (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-pesty-kitties-work-surfaces-t64833.html)

Rettie V. Grama 09-16-2010 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by ohioquilter
my house is a cat refuge haven. we have 7 cats. the first one I actually went and got from the pound. the other 6 showed up over the years and I have too soft of a heart and just couldn't leave these little critters to fend for themselves. I am a hand quilter and whenever I am working on a quilt I will fold it up and set it next to my side of the couch until the next day. there is just something about an unfinished quilt in my house that the cats have to sleep on!!
this is my youngest cat. Mia was about 5 weeks when she showed up and this was taken right away after her arrival.

Cuddly little Mia. Give her a hug from me, an allergic cat lover.

sjhughson 09-16-2010 04:44 AM

I've used bubble wrap to deter the 3 fur balls I am servant too. They do forget and try again soon.

Ruth Malia 09-16-2010 04:49 AM

My kitties were trained at a young age with a water bottle - the kind you get in your gardening center that shoots a stream several feet (I am sure a water gun would work as well, but it is much harder for me to loose a large water bottle). I started out with a diluted solution of water and mouthwash since my babies HATED the taste and smell of mint. I used to use vinegar, but when I started sewing again, changed to mouthwash as I didn't want the smell of vinegar on my fabric. You spray them with it every time they get on a surface you don't want them on. I only had to use this method for about 2 weeks (my kitties were very stubborn). After that, I filled it with water and they ran from the surface any time I picked up the bottle or even looked like I was going to pick up the bottle. It doesn't harm them, but as most cats don't like water, it will "train" them to stay off of your fabric and counters, etc.

cafegold2 09-16-2010 05:08 AM

A spray bottle of water . Soon just having it near at hand is a deterant. No pain ...lots of gain.

dream56 09-16-2010 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Suggestion only. LOL

I love it.

quilter64779 09-16-2010 05:16 AM

I use bath towels. When I finish sewing for the day I cover what I am working on with a towel and lay one over the ironing board close to machine. My big ironing board in other room I keep a large cutting mat on it. My cat loves to lay where ever I am and I have to move her alot.

winia 09-16-2010 05:21 AM

A spray bottle of water will do the job. Every time they get onto a surface you don't want them on, take the bottle and
spray them. It will not take long before they stop doing it. It is totally harmless to them, but it works.

RuthV 09-16-2010 05:25 AM

Try a spray bottle of water. All I have to do now is pick it up and she knows enough to get down.

sewjoyce 09-16-2010 05:28 AM

I made a couple of areas for my cats to sleep/watch in my sewing room. One of them loves chairs -- so I've got a chair with an old towel on it and she'll sleep there for hours on end! However, I do have to make sure that the chair is far enough away from my sewing area that she isn't tempted to jump on it.... :lol:

MaryAnna 09-16-2010 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Suggestion only. LOL

You're a riot debbieumphress! How funny!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna