Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is Quilting Still Enjoyable For You? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-still-enjoyable-you-t155374.html)

Linny 09-25-2011 07:48 AM

I seem to like it more, even though some days I think I'll put things away for awhile.....always something new to do or do for.

Dolphyngyrl 09-25-2011 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I still love it. As it says in my tagline "quilting is my therapy."

Its like a therapy to me too, relieves my stress

happymrs 09-25-2011 08:08 AM

I honestly don't know what I would do now, if I didn't quilt! I grew up sewing, mostly my own clothes, & loved it. Then I discovered quilting, love it now, as I don't need to keep making myself clothes constantly. I did alot of counted cross stitch before I taught myself to quilt, so don't do much of that now. But quilting is my sanity, & like what I have been looking for, to do, all my life. Love it, & can't imagine ever giving it up!... Maybe, to some, it's a passing fad, something else they toyed with for awhile, but never got seriously into, but not me, no way!....I quilt for me, for my sanity, for my soul, & I love it!...

SharonTheriault 09-25-2011 08:18 AM

I love shopping for the fabric, touching it is emotionally satisfying. Picking a pattern is okay. Cutting is almost the best fun, although there are a couple of fabrics I've bought and then didn't want to cut. I really love piecing, working on my sewing machine, letting the fabric go under the needle. I don't do much of the quilting but want to get back into hand quilting if I can find a comfortable place to do it. Been making quilt for about 10 years now and still love it.

Old hen 09-25-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne

Originally Posted by plainpat
It's been 20 yrs or so since I made my 1st quilt top & you can do a whole lot of them in that space of time.A neighbor said she can't believe I still love making quilts.

Gearing up to start another one right now.Buying fabric is wonderful,choosing a pattern,cutting out,then piecing blocks is all good.Squaring up the blocks is my least fav part.It's not a hobby,but a part of my life.

Do you still like making quilts.....even tho it may have been a "few" yrs since you started?

I have only been quilting for about a year but I love it..For some reason touching the fabric, thinking of what I want to do and working on my quilts (and small items ) give me so much happiness..so soothing, comforting ..There are times, that I just touch my fabric and I get a feeling of calmness..

In our group of quilters, we make jokes about spreading our new purchases (and the old, also) on the floor and rolling around naked in them. Oh, the joy!!!

MargeD 09-25-2011 08:48 AM

I started quilting when my 33 year old daughter was still in grade school. I had received an ad in the mail regarding Georgia Bonesteel's Spinning Spools, where you received a pattern, including picture of the finished quilt and all the plastic templates needed. My daughter saw one she liked, so we picked out the fabric she liked and began a full size quilt. This was my first and last handquilted quilt top. Then DH saw a crib size pieced basket quilt block in Amish colors - no problem, just make more blocks. I machine quilted that 110 x 110 quilt using my Kenmore sewing machine. Nobody told me it was too big to quilt, so I did it. Then DS wanted a blue and black irish chain with a leopard backing - and the list goes on. I was hooked and seriously addicted to quilting and I love it. Even my sister told me that although I had done dozens of other crafts, quilting was the one I stuck with and enjoyed the most and she was right, God bless her. So yes, not only is quilting still enjoyable for me, it is the one and only thing that keeps me sane (relatively) since we're retired and together 24/7, plus I love giving the quilts away to friends and family, plus selling a few along the way. Quit quilting - never.

QUILTNMO 09-25-2011 08:55 AM

i am addictrd been quilting since 1980 my main thing is making for newborns in need and childrens quilts for linus dont think ill ever get tired

fudge and furs 09-25-2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by janell2009
I have to respond to this topic... I get just possessed. I have only followed a pattern one time. I do lots of the memory quilts from old t-shirts. I love seeing it all come together and the laying it out and the deciding how it should be, combining of colors, making the fabric do what you want, the quilting of it... I really really love it, and with each one I get better and learn something more. I strive for perfection which I can not achieve, but it is always the goal. I also love to see the people I give them to or sell them to get excited about them. Plus quilters are very nice people....

You defiantly my hero. I have never used a quilt pattern. My joy is doing what you do. I call mine forget me Knots. I have done T.Shirts quilts, Quilts using outgrown childrens clothing, Lap quilts using fabric worn by a dear deceased friend, Always make a crib quilt for my Great Grandchildren.Bright and fun kind. (# 6 will be here soon) Never use a pattern. The creativity is what I love the most. I have recently discovered the D9P and love it. So many options.

:thumbup:

orangeroom 09-25-2011 09:10 AM

STill absolutely LOVE quilting. I enjoy the majority of the process. The ends justify the means for sure.

I love seeing the finished projects being loved by those who I've given the quilts to.

mamaquilts 09-25-2011 09:25 AM

I started in 1986.
I go through spurts with it. Sometimes I go several months before touching any fabric and than other times I can't put it down.

So, yes I still find it enjoyable to say the least.

I also scrapbook so the two keep me busy.