Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the silliest thing you did while quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-silliest-thing-you-did-while-quilting-t23488.html)

judithb 08-06-2009 09:06 AM

I did stain glass for several and one reason I quit was because I tried to catch the soldering iron a couple times when I missed setting it in the stand. I went from bad to worse! I have done most of the things listed here. Not the spray thing or the hair and my boobs, well, I don't have to worry about them! Maybe I need to take up coloring? Well, I did and then make the pictures into quilt squares.

bearisgray 08-06-2009 09:11 AM

One can always leave a crayon in a pocket - and then it can go into the wash and then it can go into the dryer

judithb 08-06-2009 09:54 AM

Now that you mention this...when my daughter was little I sent a crayon through the washer and the dryer. (That little girl is a grandmother now!)

JoanneS 08-06-2009 10:08 AM

My DH constantly forgets to take ball point pens out of his pockets. He and I both do wash loads. I go through ALL pockets - he apparently goes through NONE. I only get mad when the crap gets on MY clothes - and I keep Aquanet in the laundry room to get rid of it.

weezie 08-06-2009 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
How abt the time (before we put bindings on quilts) I put right fabric sides together with batting, sewed all around, left opening to turn inside out and when I turned it --- the BATTING ENDED UP ON THE OUTSIDE.....
I HATE RIPPING..... just today I was workiing on hand applique and corner was flipped under and YES! I DID! sewing thru it... Did I mention - I HATE RIPPING..... grrrrr.....

I'm still reading (and chuckling), but this is my very favorite ... so far!

weezie 08-06-2009 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltease
I've done almost all that you have mentioned (minus the fray check, but I HAVE destroyed several machines in other ways), but one thing that hasn't been mentioned..I was ironing steam a seam to some appliques and...yup, the adhesive ironed onto the iron. It ruined the plate as I was never able to get most of it off. It now sits in the box of the new iron I had to buy. Oh and I was doing appliques and... damn, you think I'd learn.

Have you tried Dritz iron-off hot iron cleaner yet?

bearisgray 08-06-2009 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by weezie

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
How abt the time (before we put bindings on quilts) I put right fabric sides together with batting, sewed all around, left opening to turn inside out and when I turned it --- the BATTING ENDED UP ON THE OUTSIDE.....
I HATE RIPPING..... just today I was workiing on hand applique and corner was flipped under and YES! I DID! sewing thru it... Did I mention - I HATE RIPPING..... grrrrr.....

I'm still reading (and chuckling), but this is my very favorite ... so far!

Oops!

bearisgray 08-06-2009 10:45 AM

Anyone do (minor) damage to the cat because it wanted to "supervise/interfere/be paid attention to?"

My cat has an uncanny ability to center himself on what I'm trying to do.
So far, I've only caught a couple of his hairs in the rotary cutter.

Ellis' Granny B 08-06-2009 10:49 AM

Hi,
Glad you didn't go on forever. Thank God DH bought me the new Viking Sapphire 870. It is computerized and tells me when the bobbin is running low and will refuse to sew until it is replaced. On the other hand, there is a button that allows you to sew without the foot peddle. Just touch the button on the panel and away it sews. I did this accidentally and did not know how to stop it. It was like the machine was possessed. Now that was frightening.....and then funny.

Ellis' Granny B

Quilt4u 08-06-2009 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltease
I've done almost all that you have mentioned (minus the fray check, but I HAVE destroyed several machines in other ways), but one thing that hasn't been mentioned..I was ironing steam a seam to some appliques and...yup, the adhesive ironed onto the iron. It ruined the plate as I was never able to get most of it off. It now sits in the box of the new iron I had to buy. Oh and I was doing appliques and... damn, you think I'd learn.

I've done that too. Iron cleaner or sea salt will clean it off.