Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When and where did you get your Featherweight? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-where-did-you-get-your-featherweight-t105347.html)

2 Doods 03-06-2011 09:57 AM

Mine belonged to grandma. I have the original manual, attachments, and the FW table. The case still has a luggage tag with grandma's name. It is the first machine that I ever sewed with-grandma taught me the summer I turned 7.

AliKat 03-06-2011 10:42 AM

I bought mine on Ebay this past year. I put in a lowball price and it was accepted. It was a private party selling it, not a dealer. It is a Centenial model made in 1950 for the 1951 Singer centennial. I love it.

ali

JanetM 03-06-2011 11:28 AM

I inherited my Featherweight from my MIL. It was made in 1953.

OneMoreQuilt 03-06-2011 11:38 AM

I have the one that my mother received new for a wedding gift!!! It is the machine I learned to sew on.

judy_68 03-06-2011 11:39 AM

I have 2. I bought both of them at flea markets.

Divokittysmom 03-06-2011 11:51 AM

I am searching for one of these beauties high & low! I found several on ebay but they seem pricey. What is a good price range for a pre 1946 machine in very good condition?? Both of my new machines weigh a ton..my Ellisimo weighs about 80 lbs according to my dealer. Not hauling that to classes! But wouldn't give it up for anything!!

hulahoop1 03-06-2011 12:28 PM

I have two. Thinking I'd never find one here in the island, I bought the 1948 off eBay. A year later, I saw a 1947 on Craigslist and it was only 10 minutes away sp I had to go see it and, of course, it came home with me. The 1947 was owned by a ballerina, now in her early 90's, and she used it to sew costumes. I bought it from her daughter. I love both and use them all the time. I also have a 1906 Singer treadle owned by my great grandmother.

Cher 03-06-2011 12:49 PM

I have 2 featherweights from ebay. I was bidding on 2 and they both closed at same time,1947 and 1948 unfortunately day light saving time and I didn't realize the time change. Regardless I am a happy double owner and have a 1910 treadle from my Mom, I just can't get the treadle motion down pat.

featherweight 03-06-2011 03:17 PM

My husband found my first one at the Goodwill store. I had walked right past it as I had never even heard of one. He opened up the case and told me to come look at the attachments that he found. I lifted up the tray and slammed it shut. When the gal came out of the back room I asked her what the price was. She thought for a minute and said "I have to have $24.99 for it. I grabbed it took it to the counter and set it there. The gal at the register said she would have to call back to check on that price. I thought oh,oh there goes my little machine. When she hung up the phone she said " I still think that is to much"!!! Since then I have bought and sold many of the Featherweights. I have 5 of them right now.

pattypurple 03-06-2011 05:23 PM

1968 Christmas gift from my parents. Mom paid $50 for it and had to pay $10 per week. Took it to college and still own it. Sewed everything from my wedding dress to upholstery for 2 cars. Loved my machine before I knew that it was such a special gem to most people. When my computer machine acts up, out comes the FW and it never lets me down.

Pat