Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you sew and quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-sew-quilt-t37044.html)

ranger 02-16-2010 10:21 AM

Turned my dining space into a sewing area. It's not very big but it's close to the kitchen and living area. I could have a basement sewing room but I'd feel isolated from the family. Plus, I wouldn't be able to cook and sew at the same time!!LOL

LoisN 02-16-2010 10:33 AM

My sewing room doubles as the laundry room. It's a little tight, but it works. I have cabinets for fabric (that are overloaded), a counter top, and my sewing machine cabinet (built by hubby) has a great arm extension to hold up the bigger quilts. That extension also doubles as my cutting surface. No tv or computer.

Chasing Hawk 02-16-2010 10:49 AM

I have a dedicated sewing room, although when my husband and I want to watch a movie I will bring a small project into the living room.

bedkivers 02-16-2010 12:25 PM

I live alone and not many guests, so I donate my living room furniture and made that my sewing room...No one to complain. bedkivers

Boston1954 02-16-2010 12:33 PM

I have a large bedroom. (used to be two rooms) the other half is my sewing room. Big table with sewing machine on one end. Cutting area on the other end. Small table for pressing.

Jingle 02-16-2010 01:45 PM

I have a small sewing room that I share with 4 cats. I have oak cabinets - top and bottom w/ a long counter top and I just got a large cabinet that I am filling w/fabrics that use to be stored in rubbermaid bins. I quilt on a glass top dining table. It works well for me.

Honey 02-16-2010 02:09 PM

My machines are in my sewing room. I cut on the kitchen table and handwork in the living room. DH says that I am taking over the whole house room by room! I told him that I won't touch his recliner or the tv, but everything else is up for grabs!!

brushandthimble 02-16-2010 02:23 PM

I have a sewing machine set up in the living room, DH just turns the volume up on the TV . I also have two rooms one upstairs (was a bedroom), this is where all my fabric and notions are stored, and my HQ, bookcases and magazines. Downstairs I have conference table (free) where I add borders, square off quilts and backings and have classes.

roselady 02-16-2010 03:42 PM

I have been where some of you are - a small corner in your living space, or the diningroom table. In the past i would use my fabric storage containers as night stands, coffee tables, etc... throw a cloth over them and no one knew!! Now, my kids are all grown up and gone and I have a sewing room, I never really thought the day would come!! It is wonderful!! I still have a double bed to take up some of my space, it still has to serve as a guest room, so I don't have a wall for a design wall, and I could use more room for a bigger cutting table, but after sewing as I did for the last 30 years, I couldn't be happier! I do a lot of hand sewing, applique, embroidery, and hand quilting, so I do that in the living room with my DH. I think I would like to have a large hand quilting frame, but not sure where that would go, so for now I use a lap hoop and a hoop on a stand.

Jim's Gem 02-16-2010 04:29 PM

I have half of the family room in our home. I have some built in cabinets just for my fabrics, a nice sewing desk and a cutting table. The room also houses the family coputers so I don't have to be there alone. I love company!!!