Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Question about shipping - would you be upset if ...?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    One of the guages I use for measuring the integrity of an on-line shop is how the shipping charges measure up. Those that really only charge the actual shipping or maybe a few cents over I believe have integrity. Those that use larger boxes than needed, charge a handling fee, or ingeneral do not manage the shipping part to benefit the consumer are my last choice.
    I would be glad to get a lower cost for shipping ....if I really wanted I can re- bundle the contents myself.
    I am now with you! I just received a package shipped from bevfabriccrafts in which were two square omnigrid rulers. One ruler was 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches, and the other was 4 inches by 4 inches. It was shipped in a box that was 18"x24"x18" !!!!! The shipping was over $8.00. I didn't pay attention to the shipping cost at the time I ordered, and boy did I pay big time. I will never order from this outfit again. It's my own fault, I agree, but an outfit that pulls that kind of rip off is no better than a thief.

Take out the fancy stuff. Make sure the package is secure and post. Lower costs for all.

Great idea. Shipping costs have kept me from completing an order many times.

Blog Entries
    Just to let you all know. Right now nancysnotions.com is having a free shipping offer if you are on their e-mail llist. She has this every once & a while. I am going to see what bargains she has and maybe take advantage of it. That is my way of telling a merchant that is important to me so they will have the free shipping offer again.

Blog Entries
    The shipping charges are one of the first considerations when I start looking at an online shop. It would take an incredible sale to make up for the shipping charges at some of them.

Blog Entries
    I go for cheaper shipping costs. I just canceled an order for earrings as they wanted $4.95 for shipping and it put the earrings over my budget. If it is a gift you can aways tie a pretty ribbon around the package.

When I order strips from Connecting Threads, they flatten them so they fit better and the shipping is cheaper. Unless I order something else as well, but most places I have ordered from flatten them out. I don't care how they do it so I pay less shipping, as long as the fabric stays nice and isn't damaged.

Well this weekend I ordered a yard of fabric from a quilt shop in LA...I miss cut one from a kit and needed it to finish ...anyway they charged my 4.95 shipping on a yard of fabric..when it came today their actual shipping cost was 1.70...now I am all for someone making a profit but I had already paid the $9 for the yard of fabric which would have been profit...I was just a little irrated that the charged me more than double of their cost...I won't be ordering from them again I don't think..but who knows...I believe you should save the customer without sacraficing your profit as well...blessings

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Well I'm mixed on it..

Now if it was fabric for my own personal stash then yea, have at it, remove the ribbon. Ill take the cheaper S/H.. But if it was a gift for someone then I really would like it to look pretty.....

My question is, "Does this question really need to be asked with the economy the way it is?" For haven sake, any little bit of saving a person can get, they should be gracious and not complain about how pretty the package looks but how much they saved.

Dee
    I like the cheaper shipping.

That ribbon and plastic is really expensive. I want lower shipping. However, a note included in the description to state that it will come without the 'extra' packaging in an effort to reduce shipping charges.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    Take it apart I could care less if it is tied in a bow.

...back to the original question.

"So my question is... would you be upset if your bundle was taken apart before shipping, so that it would fit in a flat-rate envelope? It wouldn't be as pretty. But shipping costs could be lower."

No I would not mind unless it was a gift.

cheaper shipping would be my choice as I'm going to take the bundle apart to wash it anyhow.

I had a "coupon" for 9.95 from a site. I ordered the iron cleaning sheets. The total was 0.00 and shipping was 6.50. You know those sheets fit in an envelope! Of course, I cancelled my order with the 9.95 off.
    Elizabeth

I had a "coupon" for 9.95 from a site. I ordered the iron cleaning sheets. The total was 0.00 and shipping was 6.50. You know those sheets fit in an envelope! Of course, I cancelled my order with the 9.95 off.
    Elizabeth

I would much rather have cheaper shipping. I can always put ribbon on it if I want to when it gets here. I probably wouldn't though. Only if I was to give it as a gift.

I just received my second lot of 6 rotary blades from the US. It cost me 3.96Us to send it to me.I am happy to pay that since it was registered mail and arrived a week after ordering them. Now I have 10 replacement blades since I sent 2 to my daughter and it cost me $4 Australian to send it from Laidley to Brisbane. You are right though. If I had put them side by side in the bag it would have only cost 2.50 which is normal flat rate. so if you do not mind that the shops separate the bundles into a flatter package, the cost will be cheaper. so please ask the shops to split them for convenient mail delivery.

When shopping online I think it all comes down to total price including shipping and the convenience of shopping from home. How much gas would I burn driving around town or maybe even to the next town to find exactly what I was looking for when I know I could find it online at a reasonable TOTAL price at midnight on a holiday in the pouring down rain with no make-up on.

Keep in mind that most online shops have to pay a percentage of the sales price not including shipping to the host site (Ebay, Etsy, Yahoo, Amazon, and even their own website hosted by another party) They still need to make a profit off the sale so they lower the price a little to bring down the percentage they have to pay, and add it to shipping. Shipping is not free to the seller, in fact it is way more than the actual postage as Patrice said. Lots of other costs involved.

TOTAL PRICE and convenience is the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
    When shopping online I think it all comes down to total price including shipping and the convenience of shopping from home. How much gas would I burn driving around town or maybe even to the next town to find exactly what I was looking for when I know I could find it online at a reasonable TOTAL price at midnight on a holiday in the pouring down rain with no make-up on.

Keep in mind that most online shops have to pay a percentage of the sales price not including shipping to the host site (Ebay, Etsy, Yahoo, Amazon, and even their own website hosted by another party) They still need to make a profit off the sale so they lower the price a little to bring down the percentage they have to pay, and add it to shipping. Shipping is not free to the seller, in fact it is way more than the actual postage as Patrice said. Lots of other costs involved.

TOTAL PRICE and convenience is the bottom line.
    Shipping costs are a necessary evil. I find that whenever I need something for quilting, I have to travel all over the place to find it around here, and that costs me money, as well as time and effort. And I mean effort! I am handicapped and trekking from one store to another is no laughing matter, and is at times not even possible. I hate to shop for that reason. And half the time the item cannot be found no matter where I go. I am just as happy as a clam to sit here and order what I need online! My problem, as I described it earlier in this thread, was that I didn't even look at the shipping costs on my last purchase, and paid dearly for that mistake. Now I will compare the shipping costs, and use the cheaper one -- unless I really want the item or really need it, or can't find it cheaper anywhere else, and then the shipping cost will kinda take the back seat, I guess! I'm one of those people who say," Oh I like that" followed a little while later by "Oh I need that", followed a little while later by " I HAVE to have that!" Such is life in this house!!!!:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
    I won't mind if the bundle was undone to fit a package for lower shipping - But I would want the ribbon so I could rebundle it when I received it. I might want to use it as a gift or decorate with it.
    Ditto What Bobbilinks said...

I wouldn't care what it looked like as long as i got my fabric.

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Not at all, as long as they include the pretty ribbon. :wink:

Power Poster
    The cheaper the better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast