Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about shipping - would you be upset if ...? >

Question about shipping - would you be upset if ...?

Question about shipping - would you be upset if ...?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:10 AM

I prefer cheaper shipping. Pretty's nice but cheaper is better for me.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewhappy30
I prefer cheaper shipping. Pretty's nice but cheaper is better for me.
Same here. I also buy from sites that offer free shipping if you spend 35-50 dollars. That's easy to do. I don't like any online shop where you don't know the shipping until you fill out all your info. That's when I close it out and go to another site.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 AM

I won't mind if the bundle was undone to fit a package for lower shipping - But I would want the ribbon so I could rebundle it when I received it. I might want to use it as a gift or decorate with it.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 AM

One of the guages I use for measuring the integrity of an on-line shop is how the shipping charges measure up. Those that really only charge the actual shipping or maybe a few cents over I believe have integrity. Those that use larger boxes than needed, charge a handling fee, or ingeneral do not manage the shipping part to benefit the consumer are my last choice.
I would be glad to get a lower cost for shipping ....if I really wanted I can re- bundle the contents myself.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I would love the cheaper shipping, and the idea to place the ribbon in with the FQ's so I could rebundle them if I wanted too :D:D:D
Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 AM

I would prefer the cheaper shipping!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

One of the gauges I use for measuring the integrity of an on-line shop is how the shipping charges measure up. Those that really only charge the actual shipping or maybe a few cents over I believe have integrity. Those that use larger boxes than needed, charge a handling fee, or in general do not manage the shipping part to benefit the consumer are my last choice.
Ok. Ummm... what about e-Quilter? They must be one of the biggest names in the business, and I would say they certainly have a good reputation in the trade. I've ordered from them a number of times, and their fabric prices are full-retail (except for clearance items) and I don't remember that they've ever offered free shipping or reduced-price shipping. And yet, if you look at their shipping rates (at least for USPS) they must have a handling charge or other costs built in. 'Course, not everything that they're shipping is fabric, so not everything is going to fit into a flat-rate USPS envelope or maybe even a flat-rate box.

http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...58110308784.f7

Elkabee is another reputable online store, and their shipping prices (which include insurance) are also above flat-rate-envelope costs:
http://www.elkabee.com/service/shipping.html

I guess what I'm asking is, there are lots of places that charge more than actual USPS cost for shipping, and I'd hate to think that shoppers view them as less than reputable, based just on that.

Your thoughts?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:48 AM

I'd choose lower cost shipping

So my question is... would you be upset if your bundle was taken apart before shipping, so that it would fit in a flat-rate envelope? It wouldn't be as pretty. But shipping costs could be lower.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
One of the gauges I use for measuring the integrity of an on-line shop is how the shipping charges measure up. Those that really only charge the actual shipping or maybe a few cents over I believe have integrity. Those that use larger boxes than needed, charge a handling fee, or in general do not manage the shipping part to benefit the consumer are my last choice.
Ok. Ummm... what about e-Quilter? They must be one of the biggest names in the business, and I would say they certainly have a good reputation in the trade. I've ordered from them a number of times, and their fabric prices are full-retail (except for clearance items) and I don't remember that they've ever offered free shipping or reduced-price shipping. And yet, if you look at their shipping rates (at least for USPS) they must have a handling charge or other costs built in. 'Course, not everything that they're shipping is fabric, so not everything is going to fit into a flat-rate USPS envelope or maybe even a flat-rate box.

http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...58110308784.f7

Elkabee is another reputable online store, and their shipping prices (which include insurance) are also above flat-rate-envelope costs:
http://www.elkabee.com/service/shipping.html

I guess what I'm asking is, there are lots of places that charge more than actual USPS cost for shipping, and I'd hate to think that shoppers view them as less than reputable, based just on that.

Your thoughts?
I do not purchase from those companies , because of their "shipping " costs. It is about what is the real price if the price per yard is shown as resonable but then they are "making" it up on the shipping , I find that to be deceptive. too many times in the past I would complete an order thinking the order was "reasonable" then the shipping charges are added and wham... but it used to be that somehow in just going thru all the steps I was somehow committed or emotionally already invested in the order thinking about the project and the fabric selected. But my attitude toward shipping costs have changed, I really do find it deceptive ...having shipping charges that are more than the real costs. As I said before a little bit is understandable and reasonable , but more than .75 or $1.00 is just profit taking named something else. And the retailer is using a low $ per yard as a false comparative.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics

Your thoughts?
i think it must cost more to prepare a product for shipping than it does to sell it to in-person customers.

-fetch it from stock
-measure & cut
-deduct from inventory
-pack for shipping
-weigh it
-print and plaster the postage onto the box
-get it to shipping area
-organize for pickup or transport to shipper's location
-keep and track shipping record
-establish, track & maintain customer account records
-credit/debit card fees, paypal fees, or the cost of manually processing paper checks received in the mail

everything after the cutting step involves extra time, which means salary, benefits, tax and supplies expenses. all of that is incurred in addition to the actual price of postage or commercial carrier fees.

therefore, a reasonable handling fee above actual postage is not out of line. we tend to forget that.

i don't mind paying a bit extra for the convenience of being able to shop at any hour of the day or night - holidays included. i can shop in my jammies and fuzzy slippers. heck - i could shop nekkid if i wanted to. i don't have to drive anywhere, shlep packages, or stand in line.

on those rare occassions i come across a vendor that charges what my instincts tell me are unreasonable fees i will close out and move on.

most of the time, though, i feel i've come out ahead.