question about sizing/starching fabric >

question about sizing/starching fabric

question about sizing/starching fabric

Old 11-06-2009, 12:18 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Originally Posted by k3n
Here here! It's just the more I learn, the more I realise I NEED to learn! :shock: :lol:
And it only gets worse the more you learn! :lol:
Yup! You could say, the more you learn, the less you know! :shock: :lol:
Old 11-09-2009, 07:18 AM

Since there are several posts about starching fabrics and how everyone does it, I will just share what I learned about Guild about that.l Be sure to use Spray Sizing as the bugs won't get into the fabrics like they do starched items.
I have used the sizing for a long time, and have never had a problem with silverfish, bugs, ect.. It is also very cheap and gives fabric a nice finish. I get it at Wal-Mart or Dollar General, but suppose other stores have it.
Marta
Old 11-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Back to my original question:

If one uses sizing or starch to make a fabric seem more substantial than it really is, what happens after it's washed - especially when used with more substantial fabrics to begin with.

It seems to me that the flimsier fabric would become obvious after the item has been laundered. And even more so after it's been used for several years.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:27 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I would tend to agree BIG - the starch can only help in the assembly process. Once it's washed out, the fabric will 'revert to type'. :D
Old 11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

If a fabric is wonky to start out with, I am not apt to use it in a quilt. I may use it to practice with... or give it a wash and dry to see what it does and then use it in a utility quilt that I know my grands are going to use, abuse and love to death in a couple of years anyway...
I starch for ease of piecing, it helps me keep from getting ripples in my borders, and I am more accurate with my rotary cutting too. I don't starch til I use the fabric, but do store it afterwards still starched. I have not seen any of the bugs in my house that seem to like starch, and I do look from time to time to see if this is attracting them. If it ever does, I will start storing those fabrics in plastic bags.