Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about your sewing rooms >

Question about your sewing rooms

Question about your sewing rooms

Old 01-28-2012, 06:14 PM

In my former house, I had a studio in my basement (our current home has no basement or I would be down there now.) I put down a big, thick area rug and hung posters on the wall and from the ceiling joists. I had a television and stereo speakers and couldn't have been happier. The lack of natural light didn't bother me since I was working and sewed at night so there would not have been light anywhere. The biggest benefits were the almost limitless space and the lack of any need to straighten up the work space after a sewing session since no one else came near it.

Hope you enjoy your space half as much!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:17 PM

I had a sewing room in the basement a couple of times and loved it. mainly because I had so much more space.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:50 PM

My sewing room is in the basement. My DH finishedthe basement and we put the sewing room far away so people can not find it by accident. (hehe)
After a year or so, DH and my cousin put me in floating wood floors and it is great for swiffering up fabric scraps. The padding under laminate floors make it nice. Due to my age, he had to put ceiling fans up for the hot flashes so heat is not a big problem. Have a small heater just to make sure machines are warm.
Lighting is everywhere, large shop light over cutting table and ceiling fan over sewing machines (at serger end of table) and another work counter. Extra screw on positionable light over sewing machine ironing. Additional desk lamp above ironing board. Make sure several plugs and power cords. There will be positives and negatives to whichever room you pick. Go down and sit in it. Picture how you would set everything up that will save you lugging stuff back and forth until you know as your final answer. hehe Good Luck and have fun. T
Old 01-28-2012, 07:04 PM

Well, I've read all of the previous 82 posts and have not seen one that matches my situation so here goes. I have lived alone in a 3-bedroom rancher since my younger son moved out on his own. His bedroom (12 x 12 with a wall-to-wall closet) became my sewing room, but lots of fabric was stored in the cabinets in the laundry room at the opposite end of the house. Son #1's bedroom had become the guest room. A few years ago, I decided to have two skylights installed in the master bedroom (20 x 24). All furniture had been removed so that I could paint that room after skylights were done. One day I found myself standing there loving the natural light and seeing the trees (it is a wooded area) and I decided that it was going to be a waste using it to sleep in. My house! I could do whatever I wanted with the space. Then and there it became my sewing room. All of my fabric was moved into the double closets and additional shelves I brought in. Cutting table, sewing tables, ironing board, etc. I have the bathroom, a TV, my recombinant bike, two sewing machines and a serger all set up. I can close the door, if I don't want anyone to see my mess. Son #2's bedroom became the master (fortunately the furniture all fit). Mind you there is a 54 x 44 basement with poured concrete walls that were insulated and drywalled, a concrete floor, lots of electric outlets sitting under the house. It houses two Christmas trees and items being stored for each of the sons. No regrets! Moral of the story... Do what feels good to you.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:02 PM

I've previously had my studio in the basement. I had industrial lighting put above my machine/table area...worked great.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 AM

one last question......it the flooring, etc. in the current sewing room able to handle the weight, strain,etc. of the gym equipment ?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:10 AM

I sew in our basement and it has one small window not near to where I am. The space is probably about 20 x 18 where I sew and my DH has the other half of the basement, it's divided into two rooms. Our AC and heat are piped down there so humidity is no problem and we live in the deep South. I love all the space.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 AM

i have a basement sewing room. It has a full sized window and gets a decent amount of light, but I don't like it. It feels too separated from the main area of the house. I sewed more when my sewing was in the dining room of a previous ho use.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
one last question......it the flooring, etc. in the current sewing room able to handle the weight, strain,etc. of the gym equipment ?
I am pretty sure it would be fine. We only have a treadmill and a stationery bike. Plus, there is a baby grand piano in the living room, right next to where the gym stuff would go. There's not much of anything heavier than a 5'4" baby grand!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 AM

We live in a part of the country where we can't have basements, and I felt I'd lost a third of my house when we moved here. There are a couple of things to consider. One is that like you, I have my computer in the sewing room and the dust/lint generated by sewing activity is bad for the computer. The other is that if there is radon in your area, the basement should be tested for that before you set up something that will make you spend a lot of time down there. Otherwise, if you can get a comfortable, well lit arrangement in the basement, why not?