Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions Regarding Thread for Sewing Machine >

Questions Regarding Thread for Sewing Machine

Questions Regarding Thread for Sewing Machine

Old 04-12-2013, 04:54 AM

Bumping an old thread (ha! I made a funny...given the subject matter) because that link that Peggy gave is a WEALTH of information! Thank you so much!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

If you are looking for groups of thread, try Connecting Threads. They have sets of 10 spools in groups that go together. Very reasonable in price also.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Absolute tosh! I've lost count of the number of threads (no pun intended) I've seen where people comment that their machines don't 'like' a particular thread.

A machine does what you 'tell' it to - it is an inanimate object (much as we love them and give them names, lol). It may mean tinkering with the tension, bigger needle eye or changing needles - amazing what a sharp needle will achieve.

My Janome is the original Martini girl - any needle, any thread, any time (hope you all had that TV advert in the US.....). I even FMQ in metallic on it.

However my new Pfaff has been breaking it's bobbin thread despite all of the above, for both me and the shop owner so now back at Pfaff. When it comes back I expect it to do everything my Janome does or I'll be hounding them until it does.
I have 2 brothers and use what ever I have close at hand with the color I need. I slow the speed down with metallics but it is more for the needle grooving than thread. And I also FMQ with metallics on my brothers.

I will say though, my machines dont like pre-wound bobbins, they always mess up. Tried everything, finally just decided they dont like the pre-wound....so just wind my own. Sometimes machines do "tell" you what works best. Many of my quilt projects "tell" me what they want as well. Of course I might just be crazy

I always based my needle on the fabric I am using, then select a thread for that needle/fabric, rather than selecting needle first. Jeans and upholstery materials require heavier duty needles than cotton, and thread also needs to be heavier. For standard cotton piecing, I use an 80/20 universal with 60wt thread. For embroidery I use 70/11 with 40wt thread. just depends on the fabric and what I am doing,
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
Sometimes machines do "tell" you what works best. Many of my quilt projects "tell" me what they want as well. Of course I might just be crazy
I don't think so...I hear those voices, too...since I'm a newbie, not always on the projects, but I definitely hear them in the fabric store
(insert creepy voices-in-your-head sound here) {{"...buy meeeee....buy meeee...."}}
Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM

When I started quilting, I switched to 100% cotton thread (cotton fabric / cotton thread -- well, it made sense to me). I started out with Gutterman and had absolutely no problems, though many members of the quilt police would ask me WHY I used THAT thread. It does create lint, but all threads do. And I clean the lint out every time I change the bobbin. Then I took a machine quilting class with Harriet Hargrave, and she gave us a sample of Prescencia thread. I love it, it works fine in my Bernina, and there's a little cachet in saying "It's made in Spain". It creates much less lint than the Gutterman. I purchased a cone of white, beige, gray and black, and find that I can sew almost anything. I now use the Gutterman for sewing on bindings, since I have almost every color they sell. I use an 80/12 needle for piecing and a 90/14 for topstitching. I also use the 90/14 for paper piecing, though those darn quilt police tell me I should be using a smaller needle. I had never heard of Brother thread until this thread, so looked at the Amazon.com link. It's poly-cotton, so I won't buy it.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM

I have a Brother and they recommended their embroidery thread for embroidery only and carried guittermam and Metler threads (sorry about the spellings) hope this makes since.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM

I've never had a problem with a machine that the thread itself was the issue. Usually my problem has been a needle that should be replaced, thread getting wound around the spool pin from going to fast then stopping suddenly, forgetting to have enough thread behind the needle at the start of a seam, lint in the bobbin area, etc. All of which could seem like an issue with the thread but really aren't.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

I don't know your machine but I have never heard of any machine that can only use one kind and weight of thread. You just have to know how to adjust the tension on your machine.

Never heard of Brother Thread.

Cuckoo?

It seems they make embroidery thread. Is that what your machine does?

Last edited by ube quilting; 04-12-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Ignore. I have had brothers all my life and have never used brother thread, have used coats and clark, gurtterman, mettler, sulky, connecting threads, madeira, thread art, superior all with no problem, sounds like she is trying to sell you something
agreed. I have a cheap Brother and it doesn't care!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:36 PM

I have recently started using Connecting Threads Essential Cotton Thread and I really like it. I'm planning to buy every color, but it may take awhile.