Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Basting spray >

Quilt Basting spray

Quilt Basting spray

Old 01-18-2017, 06:45 AM

I find if I lay all three layers down at once, smooth layers, clamp so one side is held firmly. Fold 1/2 of the top 2 layers back, spray the bottom layer, wait a couple of minutes to dry, bring the batting over the layer on the bottom and pat, don't rub, the entire part of that you just sprayed, repeat with top layer. Then clamp the other half and repeat the steps above. We finished, let the quilt rest awhile before taking it off the table. We usually have two or three people to help because you want to be sure there are no wrinkles. You can always take up the piece you are working on if necessary without re-spraying.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by celwood View Post
This is a quilt that shows you how to baste a large quilt on an ironing board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPedPf4hdVY
I used this method on my last two quilts and it worked beautifully!
Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 AM

I lay a king-size flat sheet onto my wood floor. Tape it at corners and a few tapes in the mid section to the floor (try to keep the sheet smooth). I lay my backing down right side down on the sheet then my batting. I pull the batting back half way, spray the backing, then pick up the batting and (more or less) walk it forward, lay it flat and then on my hands and knees, I press it down with my hands. Repeat other end of batting. I lay quilt top down and try to center it as best I can. Fold it back half way and spray the batting. I walk the quilt down with stocking feet and tap it down as I go. THen hands and knees again and smooth quilt from center out to edges (carefully). Then do the same thing at the other end. I then run my hands over the whole quilt top from center to outside smoothing and pressing as I go. The backing and batting usually are sticky so I fold the outside edge to the edge of quilt top and press down. Sometimes clip the edges while FMQ the quilt. I have used this method on all my quilts and it has worked for me. Also, turn the whole thing over on the sheet and smooth backing. The spray is repositionable so can be carefully lifted up and replaced. This works for me. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:04 AM

I lay my batting down on my large cutting table, aligning one edge with the long edge of the table and one edge with the short edge of the table, I just let any excess hang off the other long side of the table. Then I spray the part of the batting that is on the table. Next I lay my backing fabric face up over the batting, being careful to line the edges up with the table just like I did with the batting, then I make any adjustments needed and smooth it down. When that part is nicely smoothed and stuck down, I shift it around so that parts that were off the table are now on the table and do the same procedure to finish getting the backing on, then I flip it over, and put the top on in the same way. I also add some safety pins just to make sure nothing shifts while I'm quilting. I can baste a fairly large quilt very quickly this way without having to get down on my hands and knees on the floor.

I don't bother clamping anything to the table, and have never had a problem with puckers or wrinkles.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 01-18-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:38 PM

I basically use Tartan's technique, but I roll the batting on a long cardboard tube (or pool noodle), spray the back of the backing & roll the batting down over the backing in small areas going down the quilt, smoothing as you go. When the back is done, turn it over and roll the quilt top onto the tube or noodle & do the same. As you unroll these layers, smooth it as you go. Let it dry over night & then it's ready to quilt. I like the June Taylor spray baste best so far, but I'd think any would work relatively the same.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:27 PM

Do you get a lot of overspray on your carpet? I would love to do this on the carpet but have always been afraid the carpet would have as much spray as the quilt when I get finished.
Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Tartan basically uses the same technique I use. I usually lay mine on the floor. I lay the back down, pin it right to the carpet and pad, then lay the batting down. I roll or fold the batting up halfway, start spraying in the middle and ONLY the middle, then carefully pull the batting taut over the sprayed area and lay it down flat. Press it with my hands so it sticks, then pull the batting back to where I stopped spraying and spray a new area. Shower, rinse, repeat.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
Do you get a lot of overspray on your carpet? I would love to do this on the carpet but have always been afraid the carpet would have as much spray as the quilt when I get finished.
No. First of all, I usually use a backing that is at least 6" larger than the batting all the way around, and I only spray where the batting goes. Secondly, I spray from the outside in.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:02 AM

I have a large design board. I pin my backing, spray, put on the batting. I then iron the backing and batting. Replace the piece, spray the batting, place the top. iron. works very well for me.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
I have a large design board. I pin my backing, spray, put on the batting. I then iron the backing and batting. Replace the piece, spray the batting, place the top. iron. works very well for me.
Hmmm, I wonder if this would be quicker than my table method. I may try it to see.

Did you have any problem with things shifting when you took it down from your design wall to iron it? Does the ironing help to set the spray more firmly, than not ironing? I've found that for large quilts I still need to use some pins with the spray to keep things from shifting when quilting, but then I've never ironed after spraying...

Rob
Old 01-22-2017, 06:28 AM

I lay the backing down on the floor flat, spray it in sections, lay down the batting in the section sprayed, then spray the next section and lay the batting down, and do the same steps for the top. I also follow it up with pinning as well. My daughter is a real beginner and she has this part down pat. Spraying doesn't mean no pinning as far as I'm concerned.