Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt challenge >

Quilt challenge

Quilt challenge

Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 AM

I started a topic "are you quilt worthy?" I was quite surprised by the response. The good and the bad. So I got to thinking again...oh no..it gets ugly sometimes when I think. The holiday seasons coming, in the spirit of the holiday I challenge those of us that have a problem giving to that one particular person to do just that. Make them a quilt, doesnt have to be a work of art but something your proud of. I've been working on one for my ex husband for quite awhile, it has given me lots of trouble, and its a very simple pattern. But after reading these post come hell or high water that man is getting that quilt by the end of the year. When its finished I'll post it here and encourage all of you to do the same. Even those of you who say you give to the needy and the poor, find that one person whom you wouldn't normally make a quilt for and do it.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

There is only 1 person I wouldn't give a quilt too and that is my FIL. No, no, no, no, no that man won't get anything from me except for my dirty looks.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
There is only 1 person I wouldn't give a quilt too and that is my FIL. No, no, no, no, no that man won't get anything from me except for my dirty looks.
Then lets do it! Make him a quilt! My ex hates me, because I left after years of his drinking and bad behaviors all around. Gives me dirty looks and talks hateful to me. Doesnt matter I still have enough left in me to fight that dirty blankity blankity.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I would but every kind thing I have done for that man has been a wasted effort on my part. As far as he is concerned I only married his son to get my hands on his money. As far as I am concerned he can die go to h___ and take all his money with him. 18 years of trying with him and I am done. So I think I will pass on this challenge.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:19 AM

I like your suggestion!
It ties in with the idea of a prayer quilt and also with praying for the person that 'gives you fits'.

The praying may not change the other person but it will do YOU a lot of good! I've tried it and it helps at least give you a better understanding of the person and the underlying things (on your side) that cause you to react so strongly to whatever it is about that person that annoys you so much.

So I'll add my challenge to pray for the person as you make the quilt (or as you get up the 'want to' to actually do it!)
Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 AM

leatheflea, I applaud your thinking and your plan. As difficult as doing what you suggest is, it only makes us stronger. And sometimes when you do something nice for someone who is hateful toward you, it may (and I repeat, may) make them stop and think. Good for you! And all others who follow suit. It may not affect them, but it will make you a better person for it!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I like your suggestion!
It ties in with the idea of a prayer quilt and also with praying for the person that 'gives you fits'.

The praying may not change the other person but it will do YOU a lot of good! I've tried it and it helps at least give you a better understanding of the person and the underlying things (on your side) that cause you to react so strongly to whatever it is about that person that annoys you so much.

So I'll add my challenge to pray for the person as you make the quilt (or as you get up the 'want to' to actually do it!)
Great way to think about it all.... I've got my special person picked and am all ready to go with a wall hanging quilt to her liking.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:30 AM

Been there, done that, and have moved on. I find it more meaningful (for me) to donate my time and energy, anonymously, to people who have more dire problems than a difficult temperament.

I wish you all well on your challange.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I would but every kind thing I have done for that man has been a wasted effort on my part. As far as he is concerned I only married his son to get my hands on his money. As far as I am concerned he can die go to h___ and take all his money with him. 18 years of trying with him and I am done. So I think I will pass on this challenge.
Sometimes thers is just too much pain isn't there!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:52 AM

I hope I don't offend any one and I hope I can say this in a way that you don't take it wrong. But why would you want to make a quilt for someone you don't like? It sounds like penance-I'm sorry if that offends. Why not just pray for that person, pray that your feelings of dislike go away, and make a quilt for charity?
I don't like gifts of clothes-I'm fat, nothing fits right, and nothing looks right. Why would someone who knows how I feel buy me clothes? They would be forcing their likes or tastes on me. There are so many other gift ideas out there.
I just don't see the point in making a quilt for the "ex" when already in your mind you know he won't appreciate it. When he mistreats it, does that make you feel justified in your negative feelings towards him? I'm so sorry--I'm just trying to understand when there are so many charities that are crying for quilts. Please please don't think I'm being mean-I just don't understand. If I did offend you, I'm sorry. Please let me know what I'm missing here.
Again, sorry if I offended anyone.