Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt in the ditch >

quilt in the ditch

quilt in the ditch

Old 04-07-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella
I have a Janome 6600 and I have a stitch in the ditch foot that is really helpful, especially as a beginner...it has a little piece of metal that helps to separate the seam and keep you on the line and sew straight...it is great...try to bury the stitch in the seam as much as possible...
I use the edge stitcher (used to do top stitching and also the invisible hemming stitch) and move the needle one position. This way I am edge stitching just off of the seam. I, too , like the look.

I've also used a "wobbly" stitch -- zigzag set at the very least width. Then I can follow the seam and it wibble wobbles and looks great especially after washing and drying.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:57 AM
ns

I stitch in the ditch on the seam. I also bought a foot from Amazon that helps a lot. I stay in the ditch now. It is easier to do.I used to use the walking foot.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 AM

I do stitch in ditch by machine when I think it works for
some quilts (although I do FMQ ) because I like the pattern it will leave on back. Not always wanting circles or
feathers for my square blocks.
Tried using filament thread but had trouble with it so never again. After findining out I own a SID foot I tried it last week but had puckers/bad stitiching on back so
ripped for many hours.
Have to use the walking foot for correct feed to fabric
but then guide it carefully where I can bury the thread not to be seen on the top. I don't find that hard.
Don't think it's the same if you are hand stitching as you are wanting your stitches to show. My quilts are not museum quality but I sure have fun .
Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 AM

I`ve handquilted all my quilts so far and SID and as you say i just follow the seams but not exactly on it...i don`t even do it 1/4" away i do it just a hairline away so i can see my stitch yet it looks in the ditch,,,i know i`m a bit different...but thy have all turned out beautiful, and i love the look and feel of handquilting...it does take time though...but i find it so relaxing...i also try and do it on the side with no seam allowance
Originally Posted by saf
Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Originally Posted by knitpick
thanks do you ever sid by hand?
May I throw in my two cents worth here...
I have already done SID by hand several times. I stitch very close along the seam line on the side where there are no seam allowances. The quilting stitches are almost unnoticeable that way.
SID gives structure but I like it much more when the quilting is more visible. As far as I know SID is recommended for beginners - but I must say it is easier to practice hand quilting on a surface without seams nearby and you can control and improve your skills better when you see your stitches clearly on the fabric.
Thanks for this advice andrea. I am about to make my first attempt at hand quilting on my very first quilt. The teacher at class has suggested doing SID as being the easiest. I have been practising on a sample but found that it was much easier to stitch in a place away from a seam, as you suggested. So I think that I will stitch about 1/4" away from the seams. What do you think? :?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 AM

This is a little quilt I made for a workshop several years ago. As you can see I hand quilted every block in a different way. The block in the top row on the left is quilted with SID (or quilting in the ditch), the block in the bottom row on the left is done with outline quilting.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-180799.jpe  
Old 04-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
This is a little quilt I made for a workshop several years ago. As you can see I hand quilted every block in a different way. The block in the top row on the left is quilted with SID (or quilting in the ditch), the block in the bottom row on the left is done with outline quilting.
What a great Quilting Sampler ... shows how the same block can look so different with different quilting!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 AM

This is what I'm going to do on my current project.(stitch next to the seam) I tried to SID but it wasn't working well for me. (Well...ok....my corners weren't the best.) So I'm going to leave the current SID in for my anchor (I only had a few passes) and change my technique. Then I'll take them out.

Also, when I first tried SID the quilter who told me about it assumed I knew how to start and stop with tiny stitches. I didn't so I had a lot of tails to cut and tie. :? Luckily it was a small charity quilt. Now when someone suggests a new technique, if I'm not going to a worikshop, I'll check out the videos and tutorials first.

Older and a little wiser. 8-)
Old 04-07-2011, 07:36 AM

Oh Tonnie, reading this thread has given me a real chuckle. It does look like you have a stutter problem LOL. actually that looks like something that I would do.
When I first started hand quilting, I quilted 1/4 inch from the seam. I loved the look of that. Now with my hands not co-operating very well, I stitch in the ditch so my stitches don't show as much. I too stitch just up against the seam on the low side. It's hard to do right in the ditch unless you press all your seams open, and I don't like to do that. I'm glad you are doing hand quilting. I just love Andrea's quilts.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM

I use an open toe foot so one can see exactly where the needle is going down and have much better luck with this method.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Oh oh.....what am I supposed to do on corners and starts and stops when I SID?