Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilt Shops Closing

We also have quilt shops closing. I like to go to the shops and buy my fabric. I like to see the real thing.

Blog Entries
    Last year had one open in mid TN. Others I know about still open.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    One of the newest and fastest growing reasons is called “Showrooming”, in which shoppers look at merchandise in stores, but buy online at lower prices. Sometimes they’ll do it on their Smart Phone right there in the retail shop to make sure that they get the correct pattern number.
    i recently turned those tables. i saw something interesting at a website. got color names and numbers and then i went to a local shop so i could see them in person.

Fabric prices have gone so crazy it makes it hard to buy. $11.00 a yard for the good fabric in my area. Buying on line is not as much fun but the prices are not as high.

I am trying to use up my 'stash' so I seldom buy any new fabrics. I still get pangs when I go to groups and someone has a catalog of the 'new' stuff. But I promised myself I would use up as much as I can before I buy new. With the economy the way it is, many quilters have turned to their stashes.

Blog Entries
    I tjink the economy is causing not only quilt shops to close but many other stores to I'm thankful that I started both a fabric stash and pattern stash years ago so I can still sew but the young raising families cannot afford the speciality stores and neither can ones on fixed incomes and yes I have seen quilt shops in my area close

I'm in the Raleigh area and one of our favorites just closed last month. However, we've had another to open up so we are happy about that. I think the quilt shops are having a hard time right now so we really need to support them. Fabric is very expensive these days, in my opinion. With my shameful stash, I find myself sewing from my stash and only picking up accent or border fabrics from the LQS.

Quote Originally Posted by Prim Quilts View Post
    I live near St. Louis, Missouri. Since the beginning of the year I know of five quilt shops that are either in the process of closing or just closed. That is just here in my area. Has anyone else noticed this happening in other areas? Plus, we lost one shop last April. Just wondering what is happening nationwide in the quilting industry.
    I think it is a sign of the times. People are having to save money or have no money for some extras and they are cutting back on spending. Quilt shops have beautiful quality fabric, but it is very expensive. People are having to buy at less expensive stores to do their hobbies. It's sad that small businesses can't make it now.

Three that i shopped at closed and then two more opened. I really miss the one in my town that closed. Now everything is a half hour drive away.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by kateyb View Post
    We've had one here that downsized. The owners just wanted to have more personal time. There is a new one opened in the last year in another town close by.
    Katey: were you able to get in on their sales when they closed ? I found some fantastic material for quilting. I have only been in their new store once.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Yes it is sad to see some of our favorites close. As I look at the price for a yard 36inches of fabric then divide it by the $12.75 thats how much per inch or approx $.35 per inch then you think you have to "square up" and throw that amount in the trash Mmm. The shops have no control over the price they have to pay for that fabric and it's pretty much cash on delivery usually 30 days so each bolt has 15 yds or so X $ X how many bolts to a line. It staggers the mind. The old addage charge what the market will bear, well for me I think some of these manufacturers should be taking a look at this but when you think that all the fabric is printed in other countries not here, no we chased the textile mfg out of the U.S. a long time ago. So how many times has that bolt of fabric been shipped across the ocean and back? Travel isn't cheap that stuff is traveled better than I am!
    I love quilt shops and my hat off to them that can keep going their margin is so low - so love a quilt shop today!

Just curious Does anyone know what the mark-up is at LQS? 50%??

I think it depends on how much fabric turnover and other business overhead expenses they have. My LQSs are marking the new fabrics at $10.99-11.49 a yard. When I travel with DH to Lancaster (I get to tag along on business), The Old Country Store in Intercourse, PA has the same new Hoffman Batiks under $9.50 and new cotton lines at $8.75-8.95.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGurl View Post
    We had 3 nice SB stores here 5-10 yrs ago, and all 3 are closed now ...last one closed about 2 yrs ago.
    But one difference I've noticed, out of at least 10 friends who were BIGTIME scrappers then, only 2 are STILL scrapping, and even those 2 aren't doing much anymore. That's a big part of the reason I'm sure ... how MANY scrapbooks can one person make - or need ?? Seems to be a much higher dropout rate than with quilters. That combined with sales lost to chain retailers and online did the local shops in ...
    I was told that "crafts" have a 5 year span. 2 years on the upswing, 1 year really hot, and one year on the way out. This has been true of many crafts. Knitting, crocheting and quilting have been around for centuries but they too have had ebbs and flows. Knitting and quilting are hot now but these may be heading downward because of the cost of materials.

I live SE of Houston and we lost KMART several years ago, our Walmarts no longer carry fabric and I only know of 3 LQS besides Hobby Lobby (fabric never seems to change) and Joanns is 20 miles away. I have better luck online, and fortunately (knocking on wood) I have been pleased with what I have purchased online. I cringe at the thought of paying more than $5 per yd. I watch clearance sales and coupons.

Blog Entries
    I heard one quilt shop owner telling his step-son, when his quilt shop was closing, due to his wife's sudden death, when his fabric was at 50% - then he was selling it at cost. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi's Sew Happy View Post
    Just curious Does anyone know what the mark-up is at LQS? 50%??
    Nikki in MO

I hit reply before I finished. So here's the math part and I am making up #s for ease of doing that math: If the LQS buys fabric at $5 a yd and then marks it up 60% then it is selling for $8 a yd. But then same LQS runs a sale of 25% everything in the store and now it is selling at $6 a yd-not much of a profit margin. Hope this provides some figures for thought.

And with the cost of postage going up and up the omline stores feel a squeeze too.

Wanted to buy a pattern the other day. 9.50 for the pattern. 7.95 for shipping. Dont think so. Will see if my Lqs can order it.

Unless you are buying a good amount online it certainly is cheaper to pickmup a fabric or two at your LQS.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ...I cringe at the thought of paying more than $5 per yd.
    I wouldn’t mind seeing a little more $5/yd fabric myself.

Lately, the wholesale cost for quality quilting cotton fabric has been running us $5.25-$5.55 per yard. And we have to buy a 12 to 15 yard bolt, usually with a 2-bolt minimum order, to get it at that cost per yard. Most times, we have to pay freight and a fuel surcharge on top of that to get it to us.

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
    ... LQS buys fabric at $5 a yd and then marks it up 60% then it is selling for $8 a yd. But then same LQS runs a sale of 25% everything in the store and now it is selling at $6 a yd-not much of a profit margin. Hope this provides some figures for thought.
    Actually, I wouldn’t call that $1/yd a “profit margin”. All of the overhead costs to run the LQS has to come out of that dollar before there’s any profit, which, I doubt that there will be in most cases.

CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    ... when his fabric was at 50% - then he was selling it at cost. HTH
    A 100% markup is common, for LQS operations and other similar small retail businesses. Most of the fabric and notion wholesalers suggest doubling the cost (100% markup) as a pricing guide, but each shop has to learn what their overhead costs are at each facility.

Markup should not to be confused with “profit margin” at all. Markup is the amount that has to be added to the cost of the item to pay for employee wages/salaries, insurance, taxes/licenses, rent/mortgage, utilities, advertising, supplies, office expenses, repairs/maintenance, bank fees, any other expenses incurred to operate the business, and profit. Profit margin is what is left after all of the expenses/bills are paid.

CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

CD, I obviously misused the term profit margin. I had mentioned business overhead expenses in the reply before that one and should have called the $1 difference a markup. Thanks for clarifying that. I also went to your website, browsing, and saw that you have an ironing service-Pressed for Time. When I was little, we took all of our ironing out to a lady's home. She ironed for everyone in our little town using a glass coke bottle as her starch bottle with one of those cork sprinkler tops on it. What a great memory! I still love ironing as the smells bring back such great memories. You offer some great services that I have never seen anyone offer. Thanks again for the correction!

I know that purchasing online is detrimental to the local brick and mortar stores, but sometimes they don't have what you want. I have three shops near me, but they don't always have what I want and tend to overlap with the fabric lines. Even with my online purchases I give the locals enough business for sure.

Being in the northeast, where everything is expensive, yardage is going for anywhere from $10.00 to $13.00 a yard. Unless there is a really great sale, nothing is $5.00 a yard.
    Last edited by Jamiestitcher62; 02-05-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    Laura

Blog Entries
    It's very sad any more, everything is so expensive, even Wal-Mart the price is high, they use to carry, $2.00 a yard fabric, now they're $4.00, $5.00, $6.00 etc. or more, of course now they have better selections, even Batik, but it's no guaranteed for the Refill, so buy enough or a little more than you need. Different store (walmart) different Fabrics.
    Even the small Shop there's a lot of overhead, utilities, taxes, the employees, rent, a lot of work.

Prim Quilts, I have to come to St. Louis some & have gone to several shops in the area. Could you post the names of the ones that have closed so I don't waste my time going there? I would greatly appreciate it. What are the shops that you go to also? I found a nice one just over the state line in Lebanon Ill, Caloco Moon. Your name is Prim does that mean you like primitive? I too am strictly prim. I live in a very prim log home.
    Love the OLD, UGLY, & WELL LOVED

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast