Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt show, what should I get?

Quilt show, what should I get?

So, I've been saving my pennies and I still have some time. There's a big quilt show that comes here in May every year (HMQS) and last year I was trying out all the machines because I didn't have a LA machine yet. Now that I DO have one I'll be looking at all the other stuff.

So, I'm wondering, what things should I be sure to look at? And are there things you love that you use in quilting that I may be able to get/try at a quilt show that I may not be able to see/use otherwise?

I'm thinking I may want a set of red snappers. I would love to not poke myself with pins every time I put a quilt on! And I'll certainly look at thread and get some of that (can't quilt w/o thread!).

So, what else should I be sure to check out?

Power Poster
    Do you have the extra thick rulers for ruler work to use with your machine?

Blog Entries
    Pinmoors to put on the pins.
    Finished is better than a UFO

The best part of a quilt show shopping excursion is the unplanned gem.
    Meaning, you don't have to plan. Many lovely things will catch your eye.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Mooshie, I want a set of Red Snappers too. I've never seen them at quilt shows, but like you I didn't have a long arm yet so maybe I just overlooked them. I'm going to the Lancaster show in a few weeks and can't wait to see what goodies I can find!

Look at all the things briefly then go back and make your selection. My most favored item was the Martelli rotary mat. Can't seem to get it but at a show.

If you don't have it look at the Alto's QuiltCut2. I'd take that over a accuquilt anyday.

I rarely buy fabric unless I feel I 'have' to have it.

Usually there is a better selection of LA rulers at a quilt show, as well as red snappers.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I love just looking at everything! I usually manage to find something that will be useful and I feel I can not live without . Have a really good time!!!!!

When I have gone to shows I look for things I cant get locally. Why spend money on something I can buy at any time. And if course my stash gets fed as well.
    Quilt outside of the box!

See if there is a demo on these: http://www.quiltersrule.com/

I'm fairly new to quilting and I'm curious....what are red snappers?

Cherry pie, they're things that clamp your quilt into your leaders on a longarm frame so you don't have to pin. You can google it, our watch a YouTube video to see them. :-)

Ooh, good ideas so far ladies. Keep 'em coming. :-)

I just started quilting on a Bernina Frame with my Bernina 750 QE and have the Red Snappers. Love them! So quick and easy. I didn't even want to try pinning my quilt to the leaders, looked like too much work.

Usually the big shows have a website set up and if you are lucky have a vendor listing. It has been my experience that some show specials are just too good to pass up. Like Superior threads if they are a vendor they will have show specials. I usually stock up on thread at the shows. Often, the thread vendors hand out the color cards for free (normally you have to pay for them) when you purchase. Gadgets (AKA longarm templates) are rarely discounted at the shows but it is a great place to check them out in person and of course you would save yourself shipping on them but will most likely pay taxes so it can be a wash.

Check the tables that are set up by the entrance VERY CAREFULLY as some vendors print out coupons to use in their booth for % off your total purchase. Too many people just walk right by them.

I like getting fabric I can't locally or patterns I want online but don't want to pay shipping. This last quilt show I bought mostly fabric, only came out with 1 new pair of scissors and one embroidery design, no new gadgets. I haven't been impressed with the last 2 shows, but I am still wanting a sizzix big shot pro, but don't have the room for it at the moment. I was hoping for more at this last show, but for me the vendors were very dissapointing. I did get some nice fat quarters at it though.
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Blog Entries
    I would head for the Walk The Walk shoes. Got a pair of sandals last year at HMQS. Love 'em. Getting a pair of colored ones this year.

What is HMQS? I know it must be a quilt show, I don't know what the HM stands for. Where is it, when is it?

Blog Entries
    Home machine quilting show in May in Utah

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I would head for the Walk The Walk shoes. Got a pair of sandals last year at HMQS. Love 'em. Getting a pair of colored ones this year.
    Love those sandals. They weren't at our show last year. I missed them.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Buy Renae's Red E edge side clamps too while you are there..love those as well for clamping the sides...
    The Potomac Quilter
    Innova 26 with Lightning Stitch and Autopilot

Mooshie! I am going to that show too. I am meeting my Cousin-in-law. I have the Red Snappers and I love them. I bought side ones too and don't like those though. What classes are you taking?

Never heard of red snappers either, what are they ?
    llweezie

I find the selection of books and patterns is always excellent at a quilt show. I always try to find new rulers (I'm a sucker for a new ruler or template!) or tools you don't already have. There are often the vendors with gobs of new thread that is always tempting. One thing I DON'T generally buy a a quilt show is fabric, because the lines for it are generally long, so I write the name and manufacturer down so I can locate it later.

Blog Entries
    Visit each vendor booth and write down what you are interested in along with booth number. Think about it while you view the quilts in the show.

I have a system when I go to a quilt show, especially a large one. First I go the vendor area and watch the demos of new tools. Then I go to each booth and take my time seeing everything. Then I go see the quilts in the show. I get so inspired by the quilts I know what I want try something new. I go back to the vendor booths I really liked and buy. At a large quilt show, or one spread out all over town like Paducah, my system will take at least 3 days. This is why I go to quilt shows alone. LOL
    Got fabric?

Thread. You will see may brands. Be sure you check the yardage. YLI has 3000 yrds and King Tut only had 2000yrds. YLI is about ?13.00 and King Tut 24.00. Check out prewound bobbins. Know your size. Its is really good to see the colors and different verigated ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast