Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Sticks >

Quilt Sticks

Quilt Sticks

Old 04-28-2016, 10:15 PM
Power Poster

Here is a link to them: https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=98768 and there is a video that shows how to use them.

I think they would help in your situation because they are color coded; you will be able to see the edge to line it up with the fabric. However, what they are not showing is that you may also need to be using a lined ruler with the stick if you are cutting fabric that is folded. The lines are necessary to make sure that your cuts are exactly 90 degrees from the fold. If the cuts are a little more or less than 90 degrees from the fold, you will get the dreaded "V" when you unfold your strips. This is not a death sentence; in that case I would just cut the fabric at the fold and move on.

The video is showing that the first "straightening" cut is already made. That is the cut that needs to be exactly 90 degrees from the fold if the sticks are to be used as demonstrated in the video. And, in order to get that first cut exact, you will need to use a lined ruler -- making sure that a line on the ruler is exactly aligned with the fold, then butting up the stick next to the ruler. That is the step that may still cause you some difficulty. In your situation, I would just cut a few extra strips and cut all the "V"-dip strips in half to get rid of the bump.

Edit: I got to thinking about this and I do not like the risk associated with using a rotary cutter with a vision problem. Honestly, my recommendation would be to invest in an Accuquilt Go! die cutter (electric version if you can afford it) and cut strips that way. It would be ***SO*** much safer, it would be worth the cost.

Last edited by Prism99; 04-28-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:44 PM

Prism99 I'm with you, have you considered an Accuquilt Go, I have one and it's so accurate and no risk of cutting fingers.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:33 AM

You've probably already thought of this, but the klutz glove would be a good idea. Once, when my eyes were watery but I thought I was seeing well enough, I lined everything up and set my cutter blade down on TOP of the ruler edge! After that, the glove seemed like less of a hassle and more like a good idea.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 04-29-2016, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

The last time that Aurifil thread was on sale at Craftsy, I wanted free shipping so I bought a 4.5" Creative Grid square ruler. I have all Omnigrip rulers but they didn't make the size that I needed. I was totally surprised with the quality of these rulers. There is a clear adhesive that feels just like sandpaper. I am disable with poor motor skills and this little square does NOT move at all! I would give them a perfect rating. I do want to replace my 2.5" and my 8.5" but I will just have to wait to find them on sale.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:08 AM

On the river--Have you thought about going to a glass cutting shop and have them cut the size strips you want.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:18 AM

I agree, creative grid rulers are really good, but pricey, and I've never found any at a sale price...may be wrong there....
i, too, recommend looking into a fabric cutter.. Accuquilt or Sizzix ...may sound like a big investment, but finger tips are not replaceable, and the cost of fabric doesn't allow for too many crooked cuts...check various selling sites, you may find a good deal....
Old 04-29-2016, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I suggest the Go too. You earned a die cut machine! I had my thyroid killed with radiation and was put immediately on Synthroid to keep my level up. Took about a year to get my level adjusted to suit my body. Be sure your Dr. does a blood test every few months to check. What is average level may not be right for you. The Dr. can't tell that, only you can. I have to take a pill everyday. No thyroid and no hormone replacement, you don't want to go there. Bad things happen.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:06 AM

I'm so sorry you're having eyesight problems, on the river. The Stripology ruler is great and if you can afford it, get the GO cutter from Accuquilt.... It seems like the sticks could cause some serious injury. The markings on the Stripology are much better than the June Taylor ruler and as an added bonus of NO SLIP.... Invest in a clutz glove too, one never can be too careful.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
I have a shape cut ruler but could never get the hang of it.
I have vision problems and could not quilt without a Shape Cut Ruler. If you give it a second chance, it might be a life saver for you. My sister showed me how to use one, and after watching and then trying what she did, I was off and going. Maybe there is a video that shows what my sister showed me....which was mainly folding the fabric from selvage to selvage and then again. After that, I just had to line the bottom up with the line and my cuts would be straight.

At any rate, I hope you figure out something that works as well for you as the Shape Cut works for me.

Dina
Old 04-29-2016, 01:09 PM

I do like my quilt sticks when I am cutting long inner borders, borders and sashings. They don't slip. My one problem is that they are not see through. Guess I'm spoiled to my other clear rulers.