Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Sticks >

Quilt Sticks

Quilt Sticks

Old 04-29-2016, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
They are sticks made for cutting strips. Come in all different sizes, 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2 etc. there are no ruler markings on them, line up with straight edge of fabric and cut strip using size you want. Supposed to be non skid. I have been having a lot of trouble with my eyes due to thyroid issues and some days I can barely see the ruler markings and I thought these may help me get more accurate cuts.
After reading all the posts about this, I was thinking that they would be perfect to use with the Slidelock ruler. All you would have to do with make your first cut to straighten edge, then lay down a stick and hold the Slidelock ruler on the left side of it and hold down and cut. The Slidelock also keeps your hands up high out of the way of the blade so no chance of slicing a finger.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:00 AM

I've never seen them, but I would be concerned about wood strips getting nicked with your rotary cutter. If they are acrylic they would be less likely to be nicked.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:46 AM

I use both AccuQuiltGo and June Tailor shape cut rulers (in different sizes) One of the June Tailor rulers has 1/4 inch slots, awesome for cutting 1.25, 2.25 and so on for strips.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:12 AM

I have several different styles. I agree with dunster, the June Taylor is the best. Having said that I am in love with my Studio2. I can cut a entire quilt out in less than an hour. I've got into the block on board dies. Love it. Wish I would have got it sooner.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:17 AM

Just an added thought I cut 100 yards of flannel in an evening. I making 12" rag quilts 17 of them for Christmas this year. I buy flannel after thanksgiving when it is cheaper. To do this with out the die would be impossible for me.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:17 AM

I have several different styles. I agree with dunster, the June Taylor is the best. Having said that I am in love with my Studio2. I can cut a entire quilt out in less than an hour. I've got into the block on board dies. Love it. Wish I would have got it sooner.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

not heard of them what do they do???
Old 04-30-2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I suggest the Go too. You earned a die cut machine! I had my thyroid killed with radiation and was put immediately on Synthroid to keep my level up. Took about a year to get my level adjusted to suit my body. Be sure your Dr. does a blood test every few months to check. What is average level may not be right for you. The Dr. can't tell that, only you can. I have to take a pill everyday. No thyroid and no hormone replacement, you don't want to go there. Bad things happen.
Just a head's up that this is one instance that paying the extra for Synthroid is worth it: generics are not all created equal. Wrong substitute can result in hands shaking or hair loss or any number of other side effects. Ask me how I know.

Make sure you take Synthroid first thing in the morning and don't take calcium or multi-vitamins at the same time. Take them in the evening.

I use Creative Grids rulers because they "stick" to the fabric.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:58 PM

I had hyper, or Graves' disease which does affect you eyes in some cases or in mine a lot. I am now low, after having radioactive iodine a couple months ago, finally, but the eye problems will probably never go away. Constant watering, often blurred vision just to name a couple.
Once you've been on Synthroid for a period*, your eyes may improve. Mine did. Just make sure, as I mentioned in my other post, not to accept generic substitutes.

*Maybe months or maybe years. Mine improved twice: the second time after long use of various generics played havoc with my eyesight and also caused my hands to shake. I learned my lesson!

Do you wear glasses? I wear my reading glasses when I'm doing up close work like cutting or sewing.

God bless you! Hang in there! Things can get better!
Old 04-30-2016, 03:06 PM

I have a shape cut ruler but could never get the hang of it.
I mark the places I want to cut on the shape cut ruler with little pieces of painters tape. So if I want 2.5" strips I put a piece by the 2.5, the 5", the 7.5" and the 10". Makes it very easy to see as you go across the ruler. The tape is just pulled off.