Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Stores and YOU >

Quilt Stores and YOU

Quilt Stores and YOU

Old 02-15-2014, 03:53 PM

Marden's in Brewer, Maine, not really a quilt shop but they carry a good varity of fabric and prices are good.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:24 PM

I am lucky and have a few to choose from too my favorite and the closest to me is Cozy Quilt in Rancho San Diego, great shop with a nice variety of yardage and pre cuts. They always have some sort if cases or group sewing in the sectiond off but open class room. The owner and staff are all knowledgable friendly helpful and oh so talented. Next is Rosie's Calico Cupboad in La Mesa it is huge with a ton of fabric. Then is Country Loft in old down town La Mesa they specialize in primitives lots of stuff and well displayed with some beautiful antiques. Plus the added bonus of wondering through all the antique stores in the area. There is probably 10 more in San Diego county if I'm up for the drive. I'll be visiting several of them in March on a shop hop. I have also become very fond of the members only thrift shop yard sale here I have gotten some great fabrics for very good prices.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Hoppin' Bobbin in Aberdeen, MD.

Why? Friendly, helpful staff, variety of classes, chock full of samples on display, well-organized, not cluttered.

Serendipity Quilt Shoppe in Dagsboro is on I went to while vacationing. GREAT selection including a big bargain room. Friendly staff
Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 PM

I live in Simi Valley, CA and I take classes at Cotton and Chocolate. Everyone is so nice and friendly. The material is of top quality. When you come to Thousand Oaks, California it is worth a visit.
Carole Vaden
Old 02-15-2014, 07:26 PM

Gone Quiltin' in Lake Park, GA. Unfortunately my LQS will close as of March 1. They are great people who teach great classes and great supplies. Thank you Rachael.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:17 PM

I love Fabric Hut in Norfolk VA. They closed in late Dec to move to a bigger building and hope to reopen by the end of this month. They have a HUGE selection of quilting fabrics, as well as everything else. The staff is knowledgeable and very helpful, especially Shiloh. I don't think I've ever walked out without finding something wonderful, even if it wasn't what I came in for. :-) Nancy's Calico Patch in Newport News VA also has a very nice selection of fabrics and is a LQS, . They have pretty much everything a Quilter could want or need and the staff is great. Best selection of batiks in the area, as well as a terrific modern section. I don't purchase much online because I like to feel the fabric and see the weave before I buy.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:45 PM

Love, love, love the Fabric Shack in Waynesville, OH. Oh my gosh....all the latest designer lines, batiks, 1930's, flannel, laminates, massive collection of books and notions, etc....super friendly and helpful staff..great customer service....marvelous prices...fast delivery service from their on_line store
Old 02-15-2014, 10:11 PM

In Seattle, Quilting Loft is my local. They are lovely. I also like Keepsake Cottage in Bothell- amazing selection though prices are a bit high. I buy locally whenever possible.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 AM

I just love all the names of the quilt stores listed so far.
such imaginations.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
There are a lot of online stores here in Canada. Though I have not spotted any with super wonderful pricing, especially when you add in the shipping fees. That's often what kills it as being desirable.

I don't online shop as I like touchy-feely to know what I am getting for quality of fabric, colour, scale of design etc. Instead I keep an eye out as to what different LQS' specialize in re fabrics, notions, etc. While it may not be available to me locally, I know where I am most likely to find it when I want it. If it's a distance, I will phone/email ahead to check on the probability, to make sure.

Yes indeed, check out The Marsh Store, definitely worth the drive (wherever you are from). A big selection and if you don't see it, ask ... as you can easily miss something that is there. They know their stock and can usually put their hands on it. While they aren't an online store, they are very obliging. I once spotted a few fabrics on their website that I wanted and they sent me some better pics. I ordered, and they shipped them to me.
I am putting the Marsh Store on my list of to see quilt shops. I am finding locally not many quilt shops, the thing with quilt stores, they all favor a certain style, which is good. I like shops that offer a bit for all. I did shy away from online, but am quite pleased with what I have bought so far. The shipping both within Canada and to Canada are high, sometimes I think to myself it is cheaper than if I went by car and overnighted. This is how I justify my online shopping. Thanks for the maple leaf reply!