Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt studio clean out - I may never buy fabric again >

Quilt studio clean out - I may never buy fabric again

Quilt studio clean out - I may never buy fabric again

Old 03-11-2013, 11:13 AM

The evening before Thanksgiving, my doctor called me and asked that I go to the ER for a CT scan. He had been treating me for what he suspected was an ulcer. WRONG. It was a bowel obstruction and I had surgery on Thanksgiving and a second 4 days later and was on life support on the verge of having the plug pulled. I knew nothing for at least 2 weeks and was transferred to a rehab facility on Dec 17 where I had to learn to stand and reuse muscles to walk. I was there till Jan 31. Needless to say my stash has not been touched and I came close to winning the contest of "she who dies with the most fabric wins". They also discovered cancer in the abdomen so now I'm on chemo therapy so my stash may never be used. I really miss shopping for more but I have 2 closets full so have to wean myself and break the habit. I felt fine before going to the hospital so you never know.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM

Miss Daisy, so sorry to hear about your health. What a long road to recovery you are having, wish you the very best. Please keep us informed.

All of a sudden the (She who....) doesn't seem so funny.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM

Great idea! I started to use my scraps for the last few quilts and rugs...I can't believe how much I have. I haven't even touched my fat qtrs yet this year. I also have given away lots of scraps. It seems never ending.
Originally Posted by sharoney View Post
I have a huge stash, too, and decided this year will be "the year of giving quilts away." I already make quilts for my close relatives- my children and siblings. But I decided that this year I would make and give away quilts - using my stash- to many of my cousins, and that I would also use my stash to make pieced backs. I just feel its ridiculous to have so much fabric sitting there, unused. And don't even get me started on my scrap bins. I have a quilting Facebook page that I posted some quilts on yesterday, and when one cousin loved one of them, I thought, ok, she gets that one! And when I give her that one, that means I will also give each of her sisters a quilt too. So I'll be "forced" to stick with my plan.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

I have so much fabric I scare myself.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

I send fabric to a lady in Kentucky I me a while back and I also send it to quilts of valor and they really appreciate it....
Old 03-11-2013, 04:00 PM

Other people are horrified by my stash but not me. I love seeing all those lovely stacks of fabric. It is inspiring. Plus I retired last year and my cash flow is seriously diminished so I have been quilting up storm mostly with fabric from my stash, what a lifesaver it has been.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM

I inventory my stash every January. I set aside fabrics and "sets" of fabrics that I want to use up for the year. Soon as the weather warms up I am at my big cutting table on my screened in porch whacking away. I manage to pull another bunch for cutting again in early fall for winter piecing. I got 10 dozen tops pieced for Project Linus last year. With continued purchases, I maintain about the same amount in my stash from year to year. This works for me.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

120 tops for Project Linus in one year? I may have to reconsider my goals......
Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM

When I retired last year one of my goals was to use stash fabric for quilts. I promptly bought 85 yards of fabric (it was all on sale - much of it for 90% off). I've been working on that fabric for the last year. I have only bought additional fabric if it is needed for a specific quilt. I usually buy bright fabric and the 85 yards was on the "muddy" side. I've also started cutting strips of 1 1/2". 2 1/2" and 2 7/8" to make jelly roll quilts, and 1/2 square triangle quilts. I've loved every minute of my sewing and feel no guilt having my stash.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 PM

I need lots of fabric when I start to quilt. I pull out 100 different pieces sometimes. I don't think I am a hoarder. I did stack up for years for when hubby retired I wouldn't need anything, and that was a good thing.

I don't buy fabric, I am not even tempted. We still live in our three bedroom house and I have one closet with three bookcases up to ceiling stacked with fabric, sorted by colors. Two dressers with all the drawers full, and one 8x5 cabinet with shelves, full also. I can see all my fabric at a glance, so it's easy for me to start a project. I also have a couple of bins, one with Christmas fabric that I plan to donate and one with decorator scraps that I use for bags and things.