Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt studio clean out - I may never buy fabric again >

Quilt studio clean out - I may never buy fabric again

Quilt studio clean out - I may never buy fabric again

Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AnnieF View Post
Do you ever feel this way when you're stunned by your excess?
Yep, but then I don't see gluttony as a deadly sin. lol
Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 PM

I love reading your comments and now I feel so much better! Thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Looks as if there are many of us with too much stash. While mine isn't a big stash I realized that I could also make quilts and projects for a long time without needing to buy new fabrics. Found lots of leftover swap blocks and have been trying to turn them into large size extra quilts for our beds or to give away to charities. Takes a bit of time, right now I'm turning some leaf blocks into a good size quilt, have to make a few more blocks to fill it out but I'm keeping at it. Plan is to do the same with the many baggies I have with half done project or leftover blocks. Some of the fabrics aren't perfect matches but you would be surprised how well they blend in to make an attractive quilt.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by liont View Post
I have an idea!

For those of you who have too much, you could download some free common pattern off the internet and make kits out of them.
In this way, you can play mix and match colors from your stash, thin down your stash, and get some money out of it! I am sure beginning quilters would love to buy your kits!

What do you think?

That sounds like a good idea. That would allow a little one on one with your stash before you had to say goodbye.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM

I have a huge stash as well, but when I make a quilt and actually finish it, I usually give it as a gift or donate it. This in return make me feel like it is worthwhile to have my huge (messy) stash! Now if I could only convince my husband of this!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:21 PM

I didn't have much stash until a few minutes ago. My good friend and co-worker's mother had to go to a nursing home as she has Alzheimers. When he cleaned out her house in Colorado, he said she had a lot of fabric. I asked him to bring it back to Texas, and I would buy any that was 100% cotton. Well today, he brought it all over. There are 10 big boxes, and she had it all nicely folded and sorted with tissue paper between each fabric. The boxes were labeled. Not only are there several boxes of nice cotton fabrics, there is one of silk, one with flannels, one with polyester and one labeled curtains and household. I found some fine wool in one that would make lovely ladies suits, although I can't sew a lick when it comes to cloths. Now I know what you ladies mean when you say you are sometimes overwhelmed. This is the same guy I bought the Elna Serger from. She had the original box, receipt and everything just like it had just come from the store. My friend thought it was just some kind of 'little' machine. I'm a lucky girl.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 PM

Smile too much fabric

Originally Posted by wraez View Post
I do feel this way too! I have so much fabric, even on bolts and think I should give it away, sell it, whatever but then think ... I could use it for quilt backs. And on and on. I did give quite a bit of smaller cuts of fabric away, not scraps, some FQ, larger etc. But not a dent in my stash.
i would be more than glad to help you or any of you with your over abundance of fabric. lol just starting out and would sure love anyone that is willing to share the wealth.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 AM

I've been quilting for almost 2 years. I didn't have too much of a stash and didn't want one, but then I got fabric from my SIL's mom who died and also several bag's worth from an estate sale. Lots of it was 36" vintage fabric. They were probably saving it for "something special". Not me, I'm going to use up this stuff!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 AM

I just finished a quilt made entirely from my own stash - all fabric, batting and backing. I actually have a small open spot in one closet! I've only purchased fabric for one quilt in almost a year. That quilt is now ready to be quilted. I will buy fabric to complete a project but haven't purchased fabric without that in mind. I would like to use up some of what I have - liking scrappy quilts right now helps with that.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 PM

I'm moving stash from my utility room to a bedroom. Can't wait for the shelves to go up on Friday so I can start moving. I am not going to thin out the quilting cottons or flannels or the wools, because I know I will use these as long as I am able. But I also have tons of uphostery fabric from when my daughters and I were making purses and I am going to do something with those three large boxes. I also have a lot of drapery weight decorator fabric and will move most of that out. What I am afraid of is that I will see all that empty space and get this burning desire to fill it up!