Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting cruises >

quilting cruises

quilting cruises

Old 12-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Stitchin heaven allowed us free sew time. The classes were during the day at sea, but the sewing room was open each night til midnight. So we could sew whenever we wanted!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 AM

I thought I read somewhere that Rosie's out of El Cajon has a cruise once a year. Since you are in soCal that might work for you. This is for the young lady in socal
Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 AM

My sister and I went on a Norwegean Cruise to Alaska in September 2008 (this was my first cruise). We went through a travel company called Sew Many Places (http://www.sewmanyplaces.com/). Jim was a wonderful host and the company did some special things that made us feel special. Jim is a former cruise director, so he knew what to ask for. He was able to get us specials at the spa, had hot chocolate chip cookies delivered to our classroom, a cocktail party in one of the lounges just for us, etc. We only sewed while we were at sea, but not all the time - we had plenty of time to participate in ship activities. We also had a great room for sewing with a great view. Sewing machines were provided by Baby Lock and Sew Many Places brought the irons, mats, etc. We only had to bring basic sewing supplies.

Oh, I forgot to mention Eleanor Burns was our teacher - what a hoot that woman is!! We got to meet Eleanor's assistant, Sue Bouchard, as well as members of her family because they were on the cruise too.

If I was to take another quilting trip, I would probably go through Sew Many Places.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 AM

I did an Alaska cruise and it was wonderful!!!! Outstanding teachers: kaye woods, sue housman... wonderful classes when at sea. It was on Holland America had a great room for sewing lots of windows. Can't say enough about what a great time I had!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM

I went on an Alaka cruise last August with Stitchin heaven travel and it was outstanding. Very organized - they gave away 7 of the most gorgeous quilts you have ever seen one evening which was a total surprise. The teachers (Toni Whitney and Trish Stuart) were great. Everyone got nice door prizes too and nice tote bags. I love this group and will always cruise with them from now on.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 PM

I have been on several quilt cruises, with a few different companies. I am going to try to address the above questions. The last 3 I went on were with Worldofquiltstravel.com. Some quilt cruises I have been on were pathetic. The host didn't even show up for one. With another company, I did 2 cruises, but they were carbon copies of everything except the itinerary. Since I have tried World of Quilts Travel cruises, I have found their organization was great, just the right blend of quilting and activity time. Lots of variety, prizes, surprises and special quilter events. Most of all some great quilting time and projects - and fun, can't forget the fun. NO, we were not limited and participated as we wished with onboard activities. Each time, they provide a list of quilt shops in a port where one can go at their leisure during the port time, no one has to sacrifice other siteseeing if they do not want to. On some evenings special quilter (and husbands/companions are welcome) dinners were organized so we could get to know each other outside of class, there is "open sewing" time every day and almost every evening so one can go in and work on projects or something else they brought along. They always provide Bernina or Janome Machines and often, they have a quilt shop set up onboard. Many husbands usually go (and they encourage them by giving a discount), mine has always had a good time. All ships offer onshore excursions and I like to be able to choose what I want to see - rather than have the quilt program provider choose for me. Some quilt cruises say they have tours for you, but they are usually to the local quilt shop, which if one does their own exploring and sightseeing they can still see because they have the addresses. I prefer to have my port time to myself and my husband unless we have met another couple with similar interests. I met three of my now closest friends on quilt cruises, you never know what great things can happen. Yes, I do go a lot, my husband likes to cruise and I like to quilt so it is a win/win. Sorry this was a lot, I guess I hoped to give a perspective from someone who has been blessed by this activity.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:28 PM

I read on one or more of the posts that you only took basic sewing supplies so did the cost include kits or were you given supply lists (I do this when I teach sewing classes). I just saw info about a couple cruises in a quilt mag yesterday. So it made me wonder. I have always wanted to go to Alaska so I will continue to follow this thread. Thanks for sharing, Teresa