Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on DSM (not long-arm) >

Quilting on DSM (not long-arm)

Quilting on DSM (not long-arm)

Old 06-10-2015, 03:37 PM

The most quilting I have done was a radiating circle. I think this took me about 8-12 hours. I only worked on it about an hour at a time. The quilt ended up measuring something like 45"X55".

Edited:I tried to upload a picture, but for some reason the picture keeps turning sideways.

Last edited by silliness; 06-10-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:46 PM

It's been a long time since I've quilted on my domestic machine. I have done a full quilt which took me about 4 to 5 hours. I'm too old to work that hard again! I'll pay for a big quilt to be done than try doing it myself.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:46 PM

Thanks for your replies. It took me over two weeks to finish quilting my 93 inch square quilt.
Had to take some short cuts because I was getting really tired. Don't think I'll be attempting
a large quilt soon. I'm so ready to work on some minis. LOL
Maybe it's time I learn FMQ. Might be less tiring than pushing a quilt back and forth with
straight lines.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Usually took me 20 hours to quilt a queen size quilt. That includes straight lines (my avatar tho I changed top thread often to match fabric) and two borders to mark with stencil designs using FMQ.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:30 AM

It really really varies. I tend to prefer minimal quilting on a lot of my quilts; on those I'll use a batting that supports wide distances and do some SITD - I'm not a perfectionist and am convinced my small waverings are never noticed so those go very quick - an hour or two. Other quilts where I want to do something more intricate it can take me a couple weekends to quilt a lap quilt. I don't do super-dense quilting, ever, so I'm sure that would take even longer.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:56 AM

It depends on the size. Because it's such a pain to put my "quilting" table down, I like to have at least 4 quilts ready to quilt before I put the table down. Most of mine take a day and that's FM and not straight line, to me, it takes longer to do the straight line than it does the FM. My FMQ is just meandering and not feathers, swirls, etc., which is way beyond my capabilities.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:02 AM

I have generally only FMQ's smaller projects on my Janome 6600 and the length of time depends on each project (i.e. table runner, crib, lap etc.) Sometimes I add more detail to a particular project than I might on another. I recently purchased the 8900 and am anxious to try a larger project. Otherwise, I have rented a long arm at my LQS to complete Queen and king size quilts, however, since I am limited on time (usually 3-4 hours) I do not get the opportunity to be as creative as I'd like. Sigh... a long arm is definitely on my wish list.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:10 AM

I only do small projects on my DSM now. The bigger quilts are "quilted by check." So much material, so little time. It takes me quite awhile to quilt a big quilt on my DSM.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:08 AM
shy

I have quilted many queen size on my DSM..as said by others depends on what u do for quilting..on average for me..it takes..about a week in the afternoons..I have mine pin or basted..or glued..before i start..since there is so much starting and stopping to adjust the quilt..it does take awhile..I usually do a fairly dense quilting..
Old 06-12-2015, 05:12 AM

I FMQ on my DSM.. when I straight line Quilts for Kids quilts (small) I can complete in an hour or so. When I FMQ on that same size I can finish in about the same time sewing but then I have the marking time because I can't free hand sew anything. I did some lap quilts and they took me several hours, but they were FMQ and the quilting was a little heavy. I have not timed my self too often