Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on DSM (not long-arm) >

Quilting on DSM (not long-arm)

Quilting on DSM (not long-arm)

Old 06-12-2015, 06:32 AM

The very first quilt I FMQed on my Bernina was a 24 X 36 lap quilt. I made a large daisy in each square. Certainly not densely quilted. It took me about a half hour. Since then I've done a few king size and a few queen size, but didn't keep track of the time. If my quilt is really big, sometimes I get nervous (especially if there is a deadline), so quilt them by check.

I have found that the easiest way to do FMQ on a large quilt is to GLUE it. It holds together, seems like it's one layer of fabric, and you can start on the outside and work in.

Last edited by maviskw; 06-12-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:58 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and do all of my own quilting, even the big ones! I recently completed 3 utility quilts (very scrappy) that used 10" squares and were 100x100. I had used a double poly batting, so too thick to try FMQ, just did straight line quilting. I did point-to-point diagonals, both ways, and also SITD on all seams. I know that it was several days of "quilt for a while, take a break, then back quilting" to get them done.....am guessing between 20-25 hours for each. If I do FMQ it can take me weeks, because I am very slow and deliberate.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:02 AM

I am quilting an old UFO. Made it when I was a beginner quilter 20 years ago. It is a Nosegay or Bridal Bouquet that I made to use as a guest book for my daughter's wedding. People did not sign their name only but wrote messages to the bride and groom on it. Could not for the life of me think how to quilt it. So just put it away. Got it out this winter as my daughter thought it would be nice for their 20th anniversary. It has taken me weeks because of all the 32 blocks, corner blocks, sashing, setting triangles, etc. However, considering I was a beginner quilter when I made it, am pleased with the way it is turning out. Not perfect but has been a blessing reading all the messages. Especially since quite a few of the people are no longer with us. Doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you are pleased with the end results.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:19 AM

Straight line quilting on a quilt like this: about 5-6 hours. Felt like forever.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522103[/ATTACH]

also this one took about that much time: Both large queens. Janome 8900 and 1500P.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522104[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 002-2015.jpg   009-2015.jpg  
Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

To tell you the truth I have never recorded how long it took to quilt a quilt on my DSM, or the amount of thread I used, maybe I should start. However, when quilting a larger quilt like a queen size or king size (Yes, I have quilted 3 or 4 king size quilts on my DSM), I will work short periods of time, 1-3 hours, then I need a break, so off and on sewing I would probably do a king size quilt in a week. I do have carpal tunnel, so I need to limit the amount of continuous quilting that I can do and it also helps with other aches and pains from getting older, not necessarily better. Well, there are a few things I'm definitely better at now that I'm older. LOL. On the very first king size quilt, I had a center medallion of pieced basket blocks, surrounded by plain blocks, which I quilted using a cable pattern in a circle. When there is no one to tell you that you can't do something, go ahead and do it.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:00 AM

A basic loop-de-loop free motion quilt that is baby or throw size 1 to 1.5 hours. This would double for a twin size. But if I want to do some more complicated free motion I plan on more time. This is often difficulty to calculate because I was told the when you get tired, aching shoulders STOP and take a break. I do and I do "resent" my work that way and I don't physically from the work of this beautiful step in the process. I find quilting channels takes me longer and is more tedious for me. I still use the channels but not as much as I see from others. That is only a matter of preference.

I know that planning is a wonderful thing but taking your time and enjoying the process is also part of the joy of quilting. Smile, drop those shoulders and sit up straight, listen to music or a good book on CD and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:55 AM

I would say 20 to 25 hours of quilting on a queen size quilt if the quilting is not too dense. It will really depend on how tight you are quilting
Old 06-12-2015, 10:29 AM

The one queen quilt I made that I quilted on my DSM, took me a total of 19 hours total to quilt using the TAW pattern and I quilted it using the "stair steps" in the design as my quilting guide. Took a while, but seeing the back of the quilt made all the work worth it.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:20 PM

Thank you all for sharing. I had planned to send that quilt to a long-armer then just
couldn't do it. LOL

Beautiful quilts, Justflyingin.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
Thank you all for sharing. I had planned to send that quilt to a long-armer then just
couldn't do it. LOL

Beautiful quilts, Justflyingin.
There you go, EasyPeezy! I think that you will be pleased that you decided to quilt it yourself. I get a lot of satisfaction from finishing my quilts even though during the process, if you could hear me, you wouldn't think so I always wish that I would keep track of the time it takes, but never do remember to do that. Let's just say "quite a while". I like the BuckeyeRose put it, I, too, am slow and deliberate. Not to be mistaken as "perfect" by any means! But I do enjoy them when I'm done.