Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting gloves-use them or not >

quilting gloves-use them or not

quilting gloves-use them or not

Old 01-13-2019, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I don't use gloves but I should as I have cut a chunk out of my finger before but I thought maybe the gloves would be too cumbersome.
Machingers will not protect your hand when cutting. They are for gripping the fabric when machine quilting. The Klutz glove by Fons and Porter is the cutting glove.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:50 AM

I bought a pair of gloves but don't remember the name. They had the space for the little finger and the one next to it cut out. Now anytime I buy gloves for fm I cut those finger spaces out. Much more comfortable and I find I have better control.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Someone on here sent me a pair of fons and Porter gloves. I love them. I bought a pair at the dollar tree with little dots of rubber on the palms and they work great also. Big difference in price. When mine get dirty I put them on and wash them with hand soap just like washing my hands. Take them off and rinse well and lay them out to dry. I use warm water. I can't FM quilt without them. The fabric doesn't move smooth enough...my hands slip. Maybe try a pair of the dollar store garden gloves first before investing in a name brand. I bought the thin cotton ones. They fit snug and don't make my hands sweat.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Thanks mary, I will try that first.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 AM

I don't know what brand(s) mine are, but I definitely prefer to use them on my dsm.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:46 AM

This topic comes up from time to time on the board so a search might give you more input. I tried that but my search function for the board is coming up gibberish right now. I posted a unique solution to this back in 2016. The link for that post and, with it, the related thread is here
NOW I am using cutting gloves

Whatever you decide, WEAR the gloves!!
Old 01-13-2019, 05:05 PM

my local quilting shop got in 'lite weight quilting gloves', and i bought a pair several years ago. they are very thin, and it looks like the finger tips where dipped in rubbery stuff. works great. stretchy, lite wt, and you can wear on either hand. love them on the left hand for putting rows together also.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:38 PM

I have tried gloves - a few different types.. but they get hot. I use those sponges with the pot scratcher on the one side. the pot scratcher side really grips the fabric an then the sponge side soft in my hands and I get a good grip on them. Maybe not "by the book" but it works well for me
Old 01-13-2019, 07:54 PM

When I first saw them, I could not afford to go get a pair at that moment, but they gave me an idea. I dug out a pair of white knit gloves I had, (not good on this clumsy fool) that had the little grippers for driving etc. and tried them, they worked! I was so impressed by how much easier it was, I was able to quilt a Trip around the world” quilt in queen size rather quickly (3 days on my DSM) and not have to have sore arms, shoulders, or fingers from trying to sew, and hold, and move the quilt with my bare hands. I went out and bought a real pair of “Machinigers” the following month. I did the whole quilt “Stitch in the ditch”, but never again, “criss cross pattern” on that quilt pattern from now on. Lol.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I have tried gloves - a few different types.. but they get hot. I use those sponges with the pot scratcher on the one side. the pot scratcher side really grips the fabric an then the sponge side soft in my hands and I get a good grip on them. Maybe not "by the book" but it works well for me
Another penny saving idea, thank you. I'll remember this one.