Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Goals for 2019? >

Quilting Goals for 2019?

Quilting Goals for 2019?

Old 12-31-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
HoneyJ...what fun. I too have a new to me BL LA. Mine is a Crown Jewel...very basic and cannot do computerized quilting with it. I just want to have some fun after wrangling big quilts under my DSM. I can meander easily and have done loops as well. I think I'm about ready to start on...gasp...feathers! Keep us informed as to how you are doing.
I have the Crown Jewel as well! I guess the first one (??) as it doesn't say 'II' or 'III'
The woman who sold it to me offered to come over and show me how it works. I'm gonna take her up on that.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 12-31-2018, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

I got mine in late March and quilted several tops in April...then had to take a hiatus for some business and personal issues. But I got a backlog of tops quilted...most with simple meanders, but I did try a pantograph. I still need lots of practice...not quite ready for feathers yet! But one quilt at a time I say. The previous owner came and set mine up...gave me a go through with a practice session. She was a good teacher as she oversaw me load the backing, batting and quilt top on the frame...a hands on experience. There are some on line videos that give you a refresher. I have a Grace frame. This is a video I've watched several times. Good luck...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=1&FORM=VIREHT
Old 12-31-2018, 08:32 PM
e4

Ladies! You need to set a new goal. Eliminate the word STASH from your vocabulary. I don’t have a fabric stash - I have a fabric COLLECTION. A collection is a set of things you enjoy, you don’t have to use the (although you can), they are there for fondling, stroking, looking at. You don’t spend the coins in a coin collection or use the stamps in a stamp collection. No-one suggests to a fisherman that s/he has to have only one pole or one fly or lure at a time - s/he has many poles and hundreds of lures and flies. Me, I have hundreds (OK, thousands) of yards of cottons, silks, wools, linens, and fabrics from other interesting fibers (hemp, nettles, even wisteria, some metal threads, etc). Am I going to use them all - of course not. I stopped pretending long ago. I was just in India and bought 20 sarees (to add to the 15 I already have and can’t bear to cut up) using the excuse that I MIGHT make a quilt out of some of them. I even planned a quilt while I was buying 8 of them, but now i’m not sure. They just look so beautiful all folded up neatly on my shelf. And the silk feels so good when I touch it!

My goals are to make quilts I want to. To finish ones I don’t get bored with and to enjoy every minute of it.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:30 AM

Clare123, congratulations on the news of your first grandchild.

HoneyJ, sounds like you have a manageable list of goals for 2019. You’ll have fun learning to quilt on your LA. I just purchased one but am waiting for it to be set up. I have 5 quilts (in various sizes) ready to load with backings and batting once I get the hang of it.

hray, I would say your move will be quite a change. Congratulations on retiring and your new adventures.

I see there has been a thread started for 2019 UFO’s...I guess I will see some familiar faces there. Happy New Year.

Last edited by jmoore; 01-01-2019 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:03 AM

My goals are to get several quilts sandwiched and quilted and to find blocks that are finished and need to be put together and also quilted and finished. I can't believe I can't find them. I know they have to be in my sewing room someplace so will keep looking.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:26 PM

I have 7 WIPs three from swaps here that include the RWB, Christmas blocks from three years ago. Valentine blocks from a swap. Small enough for a table runner. Kalidescope? quilt that I have five blocks done and seven more to do. I have two collage quilts. one a pink flamingo and one a bear I did in puzzle blocks in batiks for my daughter that has an Autistic daughter, and my daughter collects bears and the bear has to have a tail. This bear has a nice tail on him. So this is a win win quilt. Both of them just have to be added to background backing and quilted. No buying material, started cleaning sewing room and was somewhat totally shocked at what I have. Out of 8 children and 9 grandchildren I have three more quilts to make and they will each have one of their own. Finished three this last two wks, for Christmas presents.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:30 AM

Oh, goodness, so many UFOs...

I want to FINISH several:
1) the butterfly quilt I pieced for my oldest granddaughter, hopefully before her 2nd birthday, so I can start on one for her sister who was born in October
2) at least one of the vintage quilt tops I've been collecting
3) the crumb quilt with applique borders that I started in 2016 so I can get it listed in my Etsy shop
and that will do to be getting on with, if I finish those, there are plenty more waiting in the wings..

4) I too desperately need to get control of my scraps. Scrappies are my hands-down favorite quilts to make, but it's so hard to get inspired by a big box full of wadded up snippets and bits. I want to cut them all into user-friendly sizes, mostly 2 1/2 inch strips/squares or charm squares. I plan to set aside a couple of hours a week to work on that specific task. The trouble is, scraps multiply when your back is turned, so you can never really be caught up!

5) Planning to buy NO new fabric just isn't realistic for me, but I managed to cut wa-a-a-a-ay back last year, and hopefully will cut back even more this year!

6) I love to add embroidery to patchwork bags and runners and things, so I want to take some time to finally learn the embroidery digitizing software hubby bought me for my "senior" birthday (55) last year. I've had some fun playing around with digitizing my own designs, but there is SO much more I need to learn.

Well, that's a start. If I add too many things to the list, it'll get overwhelming.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I would just like to finish a quilt for my own bed I have never done that. I have one started but my goal is to finish this year. 12 months should be long enough right????
meyert, this sounds like a awesome idea a quilt for your bed. We tend to make quilts for everyone else but us. I have always been wanting to make a quilt for my bed as well. I should add this to my list.

craft
Old 01-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Start using gadgets etc that I have. Parr’s Rulers, bag patterns, EQ7, circle ruler, Dresden plate ruler, wedding ring rulers.