Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting klutz >

quilting klutz

quilting klutz

Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

haven't done that yet but did cut tip of finger with rotary cutter. I sneezed and that's all she wrote. I was able to save the tip and glued it back on. I did have a tetanus shot 2 days before that.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 AM

Been there - done that! Hurts then gets sore! Love the Purple Thang so my fingers now stay far away from the needle. Welcome to the club.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:20 AM

I'm so sorry for your owie. Yesterday, I was ripping a seam and the ripper slipped, and I just very carefully puncured a vein. Not sore, didn't really hurt, but Man, I bled everywhere. Today its a tiny tender, but still there. How cautious we must all try to be. Get well soon
Old 04-19-2013, 07:23 AM

Stinks to join this club! My nail has never grown right since...have it checked out. You don't need an infection.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:13 AM

Yes it sure does hurt. I did it once while working for Levi's a long time ago. Yep, they sent me to the doc to get a tetanus shot. Stuck twice in the same day.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Been there, done that. I too felt like a klutz, but I am predisposed to be a klutz, so it was inevitable. Hope your feeling better, I feel your pain.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:16 AM

I sewed my thumb a couple of years ago. When the xray was taken, the end of the needle was in my thumb still threaded . looked funny, but boy did hurt, had to have surgery to have it taken out.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Ouch, Oh the battle scares we get and we're suppose to be having fun. Hope it heals soon.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:05 PM

Yep, make sure you get your tetanus shot. I had a rotary cutter "incident" on Wednesday this week and am glad to know my blade was "sharp enough" to cut nicely through fabric but not so glad for my my left index finger AND the finger nail. The DH took me to the emergency room - first thing was tetanus shot and second was...well they bandaged it up and said that the partial sliced finger piece couldn't be stitched but it was a "nice clean 1/4" cut" and it will heal and look just slightly strange for a while. Was back quilting today - Aleve helps.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:23 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I haven't sewed my fingers yet (YET means Y.our E.ligible T.oo) but I've sliced my fingers too many times with the rotary cutter and it ain't no fun. I even have the glove and you'd think I'd wear it, but nope...it sits to the left of my cutting table. It even has some of my blood on it from my accidents. I just forget to wear it and then it's too late! Well, I guess it's never too late, right?

My husband works out of town all the time and I think if I sewed my finger I'd go into shock and wouldn't be able to get the needle out and have to call an ambulance. Oh my word! I would be mortified if that happened. I am going to use my Purple Thang for now on. I don't want to take my sewing machine for a ride in an ambulance. I would be so embarrassed! I think the hospital would put me on the 'Psyche Ward' if I showed up with a sewing machine attached to my hand! If someone was with me at home, they could get the needle out while I freaked out. I just know I couldn't remain calm and do it myself!

Last edited by jcrow; 04-19-2013 at 03:29 PM.