Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting leads to adoption? >

Quilting leads to adoption?

Quilting leads to adoption?

Old 03-31-2011, 04:22 PM

Well, what an interesting thread! I just want to say that my heartfelt gratitude goes out to all you foster/adoptive parents & families who provide unending love & support to our children who needed it most! A gazillion hugs to you all!
If it weren't for people like you, my husband probably wouldn't have had as great a childhood as he did! He was adopted at 7 mos of age by two of the most wonderful people I've met. May they Rest in Peace. And we did not know he was adopted until he was 42! His parents were deceased by then & had not shared that info with either of us. Interesting.
Maureen
Old 03-31-2011, 04:28 PM

Not international however, our third of four children was adopted and love him to pieces. At 22 he has tried us just like the other 3 haha, good luck. A dear friend adopted 2 little Korean girls many years ago.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:25 PM

I hear all the wonderful experiences people had in adoption and my heart aches. I adopted a baby girl and I guess I didn't look into it well enough. I had a auful experence. Behavior problems is a nice way of putting it. She even set my house on fire. That was befor I broke the adoption. My heart breaks everytime I go back through memory lane. I loved her so much. my advice, check things out very well. Love cann't fix everything.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:03 PM

we adopted our daughter 32 years ago from Korea she was 5 weeks old. It was a very happy day for me . my husband was in the navy and we were in misawa, Japan at the time. We tried for 7 years to have our oun baby but just never did. we adopted her from the lawer Mr.Kim is Korea. I am so happy we did that.. she is my daughter and she is so much like me and even has ways like my moma. I am now a grandmother of twin boys they r 5 years old. she has blessed me in so many ways. I thank God everyday for giving her to me. she is the child he chose for me. and i am so happy to have her in my life. i am no longer married to her dad and I have had cancer 2 times thyroid cancer 26 years ago and breast cancer just 18 months ago. She has been there for me through all of it. she lives with me now and i am so happy to have her and the twins in my life.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 PM

Wow, So-Sew. I have adopted two sisters from Korea. First we got the youngest one a week after she turned 2. Her older sister was not available at the time but became available almost two years later when she was 5 and a half.

I have a lot to tell you. I don't have time tonight so I should send you a letter on the weekend. All I can say is my heart was at the right place but I was not prepared for the challenges.

Me with my four daughters
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178042[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-178036.jpe  
Old 03-31-2011, 06:27 PM

Hi Plain Jane

I would like to get the name of the organization. I would like to help children while keeping them in their own family who love them.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 PM

Wow. I can't believe the subjects that come out of a quilting board. I also adopted after having thyroid cancer 33 years ago. I already had two daughters who were 3 and 5 when the cancer was discovered. Since I wanted a larger family, I decided with my husband's approval to adopt. We ended up adopting a little girl from Korea whose older sister became available for adoption 2 years later. I separated from my husband 6 years after the second adoption.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM

There are many children in the USA who need adoption...why must it be a "foreign" child? That just adds the culture problem along with all the other problems that can develop. I have not adopted but have 3 birth and 4 step children. I know that there will be problems no matter which way you go but hang in there and pray frequently. You will need that kind of help! Bless you.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:16 PM

My DD and SIL adopted a beautiful little 8 yr old girl that has been in foster care most of her life, right here in the USA.
She came w/ some problems but their working through them. The also have a birth daughter age 12.
These foster care children need loving families too.
Good luck to you.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM

I grew up with the desire to adopt. My only sibling, my brother, was adopted into our family when I was 7. That is what my 'growing up' family looked like...and now so does my 'parenting' family. Our biological children were 14 and 11 when we were approved and welcomed our youngest son from Korea. I know there are reasons for and against both domestic and foreign adoptions. Listen to your heart! If one is just right for you..THAT is the way you should go. Drew was 4 months old when they put him into my arms, but he was MINE before that! He is 15 now, smart as a tack, challenges me EVERYDAY....and is the light of my life. Let us know how your adoption story turns out! We are all behind you...