Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: quilting not for me

Not at all, but if you want points to be pointy you need to be careful. I find that using the quarter inch foot and not worrying about it results in most being pointy. And if you press things so seams nest together that helps keep things matched up. There are lots of patterns without points or matching seams.
    Lori

I quilt because it is so relaxing and I enjoy it so much. I definitely am not a perfectionist but as I look back at some of my first projects I can see big improvement in my matching corners and making more exact blocks. I am sorry that you feel you need to be a perfectionist because I don't think that is why most people quilt. Just sew if you enjoy and your preference will be very rewarding to you.

Blog Entries
    Since there is no such thing as perfection of course you do not have to be a perfectionist. I believe as long as you strive to do the best you can that is enough. You are the only one you need to please. Every quilt has some sort of ( blooper) enjoy the process, the creativity and the pleasure of making something- with practice workmanship gets better and better. And remember in nature- no two leaves are identical- the perfection is in the imperfections.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

How do you define “perfectionist”?

Perfectionist means different things to different people or quilters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    In all my many years quilting, I have yet to make a “ perfect” quilt.
    Same for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Seazteddy, I am curious, have you made any quilts or just thinking about it? Just wondering how your question came about. Quilting can be like many things in life, make of it what you will. People can enjoy making something that will warm and comfort someone and that is great. Others may enjoy challenging themselves and making intricate and amazing artwork. Do what you enjoy!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the wonderful thing about quilting is that it allows so much freedom--you can be perfectionist or a 'close enough' piecer, a hand, machine or quilt by check quilter, piece precision patterns or improv, bedsize to mini's; all sorts of fabrics and colors; traditional or modern--so please join the ranks--there are no real rules (although getting a decent 1/4" seam sure makes life easier!)

I am not a perfectionist by any ones definition! What quilting has done for me over time is to slowly, every so slowly develop an understanding of accuracy in cutting and sewing. My quilts are Never perfect. I have kept my joy of color and just love the puzzle aspect of creating a quilt. I can admire quilts of perfection but I also know I am not one to reach that goal. I quilt for the pleasure of it and to bless others with something created for beauty and warmth.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-12-2019 at 02:53 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

No one is perfect... heck, we probably cannot agree on what that even means. But we all have our own standards of what is good work, and should try to do the best we can. With practice we get better and more accurate quilting results. I re-sew seams if I think I can make them better the second (or third) try. Why not? The “galloping horse” theory doesn’t work for me because I am not looking at my quilts from a galloping horse. We each decide for ourselves what level of flaws we can live with.

To me, it would be sad if we didn’t continue to try our best with each piece we make.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Heavens no dear woman. If I were a perfectionist and everything I made turned out absolutely perfect I would be God. There is an old saying that every quilt should have at least one mistake somewhere to remind us that only God is perfect. I'm not highly religious, but I do believe this to be true.

One of the reasons I enjoy hand applique, both in wool and cotton, is that i can improvise quite a bit. I tend to be a little picky when looking at pieced items, and I notice most of the wobbles when I machine quilt. But I have found that there are times to be nearly perfect and times to just let go and enjoy. You will learn what works for you with time and you will most likely gravitate to those things (if you want to).

Blog Entries
    'Perfectionism is the enemy of Creativity' this is a sign I have in my workroom and on the front of the student guides I give out. I like to tell my students that they are not making mistakes, they are adding design elements. Rejoice in what you have made because you have made it! Most folks will never make a quilt - But you did! And, if it is a gift and the only words out of their mouth aren't 'thank you', then take it back! LOL!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-12-2019 at 06:19 AM. Reason: shouting/ all caps

No. But there are some rules that just make all quilts look right. Seams that match. Points not cut off. Edges that are not too wavy. Quilting that doesn't have to be fancy but that serves the purpose while enhancing the top ......in my opinion. And when learning, one might as well learn these things early and do the best one can to achieve them.....again, in my opinion.

I don't call that perfectionism but a desire to follow the rules and improve the skills of one's craft or hobby, no matter what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    No one is perfect... heck, we probably cannot agree on what that even means. But we all have our own standards of what is good work, and should try to do the best we can. With practice we get better and more accurate quilting results. I re-sew seams if I think I can make them better the second (or third) try. Why not? The “galloping horse” theory doesn’t work for me because I am not looking at my quilts from a galloping horse. We each decide for ourselves what level of flaws we can live with.

To me, it would be sad if we didn’t continue to try our best with each piece we make.
    This is my philosophy and rule of thumb, too.

Just last night I made a pieced heart and discovered I had sewn slightly over the bottom points, blunting them. I was tired and thought, "oh, well, it'll do." This morning I know I'm going to resew that seam.

I haven't made that many quilts. I just got back into it this year after not sewing for 14 years. I have fun. One of the reasons I enjoy quilting so much as I was told years ago there is no right or wrong in quilting, its your design. So if you can get over a few mistakes than no one else will care. Enjoy the fun, its relaxing and makes me happy to see the face on my friends when I give one to them. Happy Quilting. No one is perfect.

Quilters are Artists, artists need not be perfectionist.

The only people of hand that I feel Need to be perfectionist are Bomb Disposal Experts
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-12-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: shouting/ all caps

Blog Entries
    I love to make the tops,but quilting is not for me. my mind goes blank. i have a very good quilter who does mine

In my world, a finished quilt is a perfect quilt.

If I wanted a perfect quilt, I'd still be working on my first quilt & never would have moved on to other projects. IMHO, there is only One Master Quilter & it's not me!
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
    Just wondering how your question came about.
    Me too. Have you met with the Quilt Police, who are truly such miserable people they only feel good about themselves when they have torn down everyone around them? My father was this type of personality.

Personally I like to strive to be the best I can be, and turn out the best work that I can. I love a good challenge. This sometimes involves ripping out seams or re-doing something because I know I can do better. If this is what you call "perfectionist", then so be it.

Only if you want to be a perfectionist. My personal motto is 'Done is better than perfect!'

Just start out slow, don't go crazy buying fabric and the mythical 'best' sewing machine. If you find out you enjoy piecing a quilt together, then think about going crazy.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I quilt because it is a relaxing hobby, something I love doing. I do my best to make them as beautiful as I can. I will never be a perfectionist I will never enter one in a show I just make them as best I can. Anytime I would have to make them to anyone else's standard I would stop as it would not be relaxing or a pleasure for me any more. Do your best and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post

You said exactly what I was thinking.

My Mom always said "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing your best."

My friends would probably tell you I'm a perfectionist but that doesn't mean I'm perfect: it means I'm going to spend the time to make what I'm creating as perfect as I can make it.

Why bother spending your precious time making a "good enough" quilt?
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Everyone’s idea of perfection is different just as everyone’s idea of good enough is different.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast