Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: quilting not for me

I always try to do my best, but I also don't obsess over it. I can say, OK this is good enough and let it be.

Why of course not. Everything I make is perfectly imperfect. That is ok with me.

Quilt to bring you joy and when things don't work out, give the quilt to charity and move on to another project. Some of the nicest people I know, I have met through quilting. Everyone has their own color sense and style. As long as you are happy with your quilt, that is all that matters.

You do not. I have never made a perfect quilt. Some are very very good and some aren't. I am fine with that. I quilt for my own pleasure. No one I've given a quilt to has said anything like "oh, I see a stitch not in line" or anything like that. If you are hindered by an idea of perfection you will never create anything. also, if you compare your own quilting to a computerized long arm, you shouldn't. Two different animals, in my opinion. Not that one is better, but they are different.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Not at all. Do fun quilts, don't worry about being perfect. Just enjoy the process
    Patski
    always learning

I quilt because I enjoy it, I find it very relaxing, if i had to be a perfectionist at it, I would not enjoy it. I always do my best, that is my personality, so it applies to everything in my life, including my quilting hobby.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Depends on the project, the amount of time, and "having a good day." Please yourself only.
    Carol

Thank you all for support, I was on the verge of giving it up cause people I quilt with have been giving me the evil eye, that my quilts are not good enough.

If it were me and I was getting the evil eye, and they were making me feel inadequate about my quilting skills, I'd find a different group to join, or start my own small group. Under the Personal diaries section on this forum, there is a wonderful thread about a quilting lady that recently found what sounds like a great group of gals to quilt with, but the responses might inspire and give you some ideas, it's worth the read.
    Last edited by Quiltah Mama; 04-12-2019 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Add info
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Thanks again, I will read it.

I am a quilt rescuer, I take UFO's, I pick up from estate sales, thrift stores and finish them. I have made some from scratch but I feel good when I can finish someone else's quilt. Almost all my quilts are donated to charity.

Quote Originally Posted by seazteddy View Post
    Thank you all for support, I was on the verge of giving it up cause people I quilt with have been giving me the evil eye, that my quilts are not good enough.
    I would like to say they are evil but I am nicer than that. I quilt with real award winners and one of my friends used to work at a quilting magazine. Most of the group are way better than me on everything (except free motion because they send their quilts out) but they always give me lots of help if I need it and always admire my finished products even though they don’t compare to their work (except for the quilting). I am never intimidated to show them something or ask a question. I think all quilters should encourage each other. So don’t give up and do what you like and come here for encouragement!!
    Alyce

I am currently in a small group that is a great fit for me, although our styles are different we share many of the same philosophies.

But I used to belong in a guild full of people who did not understand me. They did not understand why I was so gleeful about my thrift store fabric and they did not understand that when they were name dropping about their latest class with super name I didn't care... she's a nice enough lady and all that but I want to make quilts that look like me and not like her.

Sounds to me like you need better friends/quilting partners and not just better points

Absolutely Not! If that were so there'd not be very many of us; and who is to say what is perfect or not. I was taught to do a job right - or not at all. So I had that "perfectionistic" persona. I have learned over the years to let some of that go; that it really doesn't matter in "some" things. Others yes but with quilting, nah. Try something simple and just enjoy the process. Each item gets easier (usually) and there is always something new to learn.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-13-2019 at 08:31 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I try to do my best. The amazing thing is as you keep sewing and quilting, your "best" just continues to improve and get better! "Perfect" will never be my goal..... continuing to do my "best" is just fine for me. (And yes, I do plenty of ripping out....because I know when something is not my best!

How sad...I would find a different group & if there are none around then find a good online site like this one. This is such an encouraging group of quilters who love to see pictures of what you are working on & will give you suggestions if you need them & new fresh ideas. This board is made up of very beginners all the way to award winning quilters & none are on the quilting police force. Enjoy your hobby surrounded by others who enjoy & appreciate what you are doing.

I love quilting, despite the fact that my quilts are far from perfect. I have met so many wonderful people, I have been able to "gift" items made with love, and enjoy the time spent quilting.

I view my quilting like I viewed my time in HS taking P.E. As long as I am doing my best then I am happy. I do dither about colors a lot because I need help, my daughter has an artistic eye so I am forever asking her opinion. But my dear quilting friend has told me over and over, no one knows what color was intended so you can use whatever you like. Last year I made a Halloween quilt for myself and spent the money to have it quilted. I am thrilled with that quilt and I know I could not do it as well as they could.

Many years ago I went to an Amish show, I bought a pot holder. It has a star center and it isn't perfect. I love it for that reason and works as an inspiration for me.

Also, I enjoy going to the local quilt shows just as much as the major shows like the Road to CA. At the local shows I find most people quilt like I do and they are willing to display it for all to see. So I am encouraged by this. It's fun to see the work of the Master Quilters but I want my quilts to be used. My Niece and her family are Seahawks and Mariner fans, the sports fabric is 60 inch wide, so all I did was made a quilt sandwich, simple serpentine stitch to quilt it, put on a binding to match both sides, very simple, and they love it! They keep it out year round. Honestly I made it just for fun.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 04-13-2019 at 09:25 AM.

How can you take on the mantle of perfection on something that you didn't make from the beginning? Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in putting perfectionism on yourself at any time. But when you are completing others work, it seems especially hard. If it is not perfect, maybe it you aren't to blame. Likewise if it is perfect, maybe you don't deserve the credit.
    Enjoy the process. Quilts are love and love is never perfect.

Blog Entries
    Do you have to be perfectionist to quilt? That's not me.
    Absolutely not. If that were the case I'd be doing coloring books - for 3 yr olds!!
    It's supposed to be a fun, enjoyable and time spent with friends kind of a thing.. In the old days, the Quilting Bee's were about the only time women got to spend time together. It should still be the same thing.
    Not everyone is at the same level, in interest or skills. So just make it for you.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Time to walk away from those folks giving you the evil eye or making you feel that your work is not good enough. That's a horrible feeling. Maybe they don't mean to be condescending (some people really are blind to that character flaw in themselves). If you have the courage, you could say something to them about how their attitudes, or how they look at your quilt, or the comments they have made (cite examples) have affected you. Chances are you aren't the only one feeling this way, and sometimes those folks need to be told "this is how I feel when you ......." so they are aware and can work on it. I say this as someone who typically walks away without saying something when I've felt belittled, unless I see it happening to others. Then my sense of justice overrides my fear of confrontation.

Wow, I can't imagine anyone being so mean! I'm so sorry this happened to you.
    I would drop those "friends" fast.

No, one need not be a perfectionist to quilt. We are all human beings, and not a one of us is perfect. There was only one man who ever walked the face of this earth who was perfect, and they nailed him to a tree. I have never claimed to be perfect. I want to do the very best job of which I am capable, I always strive for "excellence" but fully realize I'll never attain perfection. I think that's all we can expect of ourselves. We are not perfect beings, so we cannot create "perfect" things.

EDIT: No one should ever be that critical or that condescending about another's quilting or anything else. Do people not understand how hurtful that is? Be kind to others!
    Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 04-13-2019 at 11:27 PM. Reason: additional content

Thank you all for your support. You all restored my faith in quilting people. I was just tired of defending my quilting techniques. "Don't you want change that? No I don't. " Then a lemon sucking face. Grrr.

With all the responses, I'm sure you've figured out that there are more "non-perfect" quilters than perfect quilters. Ha. Like so many others have said, I do my best ... and yes, I've ripped many a stitch and re-sewn ... made the same mistake and ripped again only because the error was too obvious. But in the end, I am happy with my results, imperfections and all. When you get stressed, walk away for awhile. Most of all, just enjoy the process. I'm self taught so I feel like I learn a little something each time I quilt which makes be a "better" quilter but never a "perfect" quilter. Have fun!

Blog Entries
    No! If it makes you happy and you have a pleasant time quilting, its all good!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-15-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast