Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Resolutions 2018 >

Quilting Resolutions 2018

Quilting Resolutions 2018

Old 12-28-2017, 10:20 AM

Daughter told me to 'downsize' because she did not want the job of having to go through everything, so I started. And sorry I did 'gift' several items I wished I had back. Gave things by the car full to neighbor who recycled or gave to charity. De-cluttered my sewing room and overflow and now share the sewing room with dh, since he likes to sew too. Came down to conclusion, if I am enjoying it and have plans for the fabric, I am keeping it. Period. End of that story. Daughter has not returned to see the results in last two years, so maybe she thought it was impossible for me to de-cutter the house.

Yes, I am buying more fabric and patterns because it makes me happy and I jsut might finish in into quilts! This year!
Old 12-28-2017, 10:27 AM

This is my thought exactly! (Except for buying batiks, which I am not overly fond of)

This is response to Boston's post!

Last edited by humbird; 12-28-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I am also rethinking everything. Both medical, time and other obligations are making me reevaluate. Like you I have too many projects for myself and the family I have not finnished so it is time to ease up on some other projects. Organizing and decluttering is not my strength so I might be searching this board for some ideas.I am teethering on the edge of feeling pushed with all the quilting I want and have to do and enjoying it as a hobby. It is not a place I want to be at.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
Daughter told me to 'downsize' because she did not want the job of having to go through everything, so I started. And sorry I did 'gift' several items I wished I had back. Gave things by the car full to neighbor who recycled or gave to charity. De-cluttered my sewing room and overflow and now share the sewing room with dh, since he likes to sew too. Came down to conclusion, if I am enjoying it and have plans for the fabric, I am keeping it. Period. End of that story. Daughter has not returned to see the results in last two years, so maybe she thought it was impossible for me to de-cutter the house.

Yes, I am buying more fabric and patterns because it makes me happy and I jsut might finish in into quilts! This year!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. I was also told by one daughter that she was scared of having to deal with my studio when I am gone. I am not that old yet but do have some medical issues. I have friends comping at the bit to divide it all up. LOL
Old 12-28-2017, 02:57 PM

[ I don't want to pass away leaving beautiful fabric on shelves while I sewed little pieces into quilts.]
LOVE THIS!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2017, 03:24 PM

I also want to do a Baltimore Album quilt. I plan to make Stars Over Baltimore. If you sign up at Piecing the Past website, the free patterns will be emailed to you.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I resolve to not worry about unfinished projects. If I want to start something new, I will. I do not know how many years I have left, and when I go someone will pick up the gauntlet.

I also will not feel guilty about buying more batiks. I love them, and when I have the $$ I will get some.
I love your attitude! I'm going to be 70 in a few months so I am trying to get out of various boards and community activities now so that I can spend more time doing what I enjoy - quilting, reading, trying new recipes!
Old 12-29-2017, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
I love yearly goals. For every new quilt, I plan to finish 1 UFO. Good enough for now.
I am doing the same in reverse. One UFO allows me to do a new top! For me, this works. I also write down the quilts I want to make for folks. This then helps me prioritize what really is important to ME and to not be working like a crazy lady at the last minute for a birthday, birth or holiday.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I love your attitude! I'm going to be 70 in a few months so I am trying to get out of various boards and community activities now so that I can spend more time doing what I enjoy - quilting, reading, trying new recipes!
Good for you! Next year at this time I will be finished with two year long obligations for two different guilds. I know I will feel free and will learn to be better at saying no.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:22 AM

I plan to complete at least one UFO per month. I also plan to donate my excess fabric, patterns, and books that I know that I'll never use to my guild for resale or to be used as prizes.