Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting in the summertime >

Quilting in the summertime

Quilting in the summertime

Old 06-29-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by scrappy happy
I do some sewing in the summer but not as much as when the temps turn cold. When it gets so hot that we have to have the air on than I go and sew. Otherwise here in wisc you better enjoy the summer when u can, cause old man winter is long lol
Ditto! And I'm from Wisconsin too!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:44 AM

I actually quilt more in the summer. I work for a school bus company and work is not as hectic. Hours are not as long - giving me more time to sit at the machine and sew my heart out.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 AM

If I only quilted when it was cool, I wouldn't get much done! There have been many Christmas days that we've been wearing shorts outside. Our heater only runs about 30 days a year, and then not much. My a/c works great & keeps the house cool though!

Elizabeth from HOT & HUMID SE Texas!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 AM

I make all my quilts between May and December. The last week of each month all my work is done and so I sew and cut at work.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:18 AM

I sew more in the summer because I teach during the school year and don't have as much time and energy. Pre-k kids suck up a lot of my energy. I love quilting in the summer because i get sooooooooooo much done.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
year round for me, have a fan pointed at me and I quilt away. It gets just too hot to do anything outside for me, unless it's going shopping... then August humidity is a killer for doing anything but sew:-)
In Florida, you stop yard work after June 1st. unless you are partial to heat strokes. If you don't have an air-conditioned house, you are probably on welfare. I sew all year, quilts, clothes and home dec. I'd die without it. Keeps me sane, happy, and relaxed. That's how I got to be 83.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:45 AM

I make quilts all year long. I sew upstairs and quilt in the basement where it is cooler.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
I never, never, never quit quilting....LOL
Amen to that! I have way too many ideas for quilts (and fabric) to stop quilting in the summer.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 AM

In the summer I just make tops and save the actual hand quilting until it cools off. With temps in the high 90's and low 100's it is not conducive to having all that material in your hands or on your lap.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 AM

It's too hot here so I stay inside where it's cool and just quilt away. Can't go outside and enjoy my nice green yard like I use too, because we are in a drought and minimal watering so our pretty grass is dying and it's been so hot.
Starting July 1, another water restriction. So, it's inside where it's cool and as long as we have electricity, I will sew or be on computer and right here with all you nice people. Love this board. Keeps me sane (well, sort of). Gotta get ready though; off to a quilting class for today.